Will Surface Phone override Lumia series?

antnauman

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
There has been a rumor going on regarding a Surface Phone. For Daniel, me, and many others, it does make much sense, as Surface series is emerging as an architectural masterpiece, equivalent to Windows 10 on the software side. And Microsoft WILL redesign the phone, just like it has redesigned tablet, laptop, watch, and other products. They are now making flagship masterpieces, setting an example of what could be achieved with every device category. So yes...it does make a lot of sense.

But... after reading Daniel's article today, I was thinking that even though they release a Surface phone, and even if we say that Lumia 950/950xl are remnants of Nokia.. It doesn't really mean that MS can discontinue Lumia series.

Here's why. In pc market, there are a lot of companies making devices for windows 10. Even if they won't release a Surface mini, someone else will. But in case of mobile, it's not the case. And Satya said himself that, "if anyone won't make windows phones, we will". So MS can't just release an outstanding phone of $600+ and wait for either everyone to buy it, or see WM% falling.

Surface will be the ultimate business phone. But it will not be for everyone.
I think, they shall redesign+redefine Lumia series too, and for every market tier. Because 1) They can. 2) They should.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I think much of this depends on whether or not other manufacturers are entering into agreements with Microsoft to produce the phones. Such as Acer, for example. If they have already made agreements with manufacturers that we do not know anything about, and they may have, then they may wait to see how that pans out before manufacturing more phones that are Lumias. I imagine, though, that they will have designed them anyway, just in case they are needed.

I do foresee Lumias continuing for the next couple of years at least, and if others are picking up the pace with manufacturing by then, then Microsoft may switch entirely to just the Surface line of phone after that.

What do I predict will actually happen? I predict that we shall have to wait and see. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124