Will the Lumia name be really dropped after the aquisition?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I heard that this is the case. I couldn't remember exactly the source, but when I do I will post it here.
If that is the case, then I guess we are looking at 1520,928, and the 2520 being the last batches of Lumia products.

And if so, I wonder what Nokia/Microsoft will name the next gen Windows Phone devices they will make? Maybe the Surface phone?

What do you guys think?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
No official news has come out about the name, but I think with the brand recognition that Lumia has gotten in the past year that they will seriously have to think about keeping the name for the Phone brand. However that being said, nothing is certain.

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can use "Lumia" to name their phone range since it was part of $7 billion deal, but they could always drop it if they want to. If they drop it, the strongest reason is that they want to use the Surface branding instead. If they adapt it, it's because "Lumia" already has a good reputation in the world and it would be advantageous to use it instead of using some new, unknown brand name.

I hope they keep the Lumia name.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
We're still talking about this? There's a whole thread dedicated to the MS acquisition of Nokia.

Here's how I remember it. (there's a whole post about this on WPC somewhere)

MS has the rights to use the name Nokia and Lumia for 10 years.

The question of how long they will use the Nokia/Lumia name is debatable but I can't see it being longer than 2-3 years. Reason why I feel this way is that most acquisitions use the name brand for a period of time to make people comfortable with the change and then it typically gets dropped. MS has no reason to keep the Nokia/Lumia name other than to satisfy those who have brand loyalty. What it will be called afterwards is anyones guess.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
We're still talking about this? There's a whole thread dedicated to the MS acquisition of Nokia.

Here's how I remember it. (there's a whole post about this on WPC somewhere)

MS has the rights to use the name Nokia and Lumia for 10 years.

The question of how long they will use the Nokia/Lumia name is debatable but I can't see it being longer than 2-3 years. Reason why I feel this way is that most acquisitions use the name brand for a period of time to make people comfortable with the change and then it typically gets dropped. MS has no reason to keep the Nokia/Lumia name other than to satisfy those who have brand loyalty. What it will be called afterwards is anyones guess.

As I recall MSFT can only use the Nokia name on the Asha line of devices. I would expect the feature phones to fall under that category as well. They did not purchase the rights to the Lumia brand.

This happens more than you think. When AT&T bought out Cingular they immediately dropped that brand name. Cingular had invested something like $8 billion building up that brand name.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As I recall MSFT can only use the Nokia name on the Asha line of devices. I would expect the feature phones to fall under that category as well. They did not purchase the rights to the Lumia brand.

This happens more than you think. When AT&T bought out Cingular they immediately dropped that brand name. Cingular had invested something like $8 billion building up that brand name.

I believe I am correct with my statements. MS has Nokia, Lumia and Asha for 10 years.

Nokia name to go away with the Lumia line as Microsoft seeks to unify branding | Windows Phone Central

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. Its whether MSFT will continue to use it is what was / is at question.

I was referring to you saying I was incorrect about the Nokia/Lumia brand. The rest of my statement was opinion.

If they use the names for any length of time I believe it will be short. I don't expect the Nokia name to be used for very long but Lumia possibly a touch longer. That's why I said 2-3 years.

I think they plan to drop the Nokia name almost immediately but that I find hard to believe. I give it a year at most, maybe two. Nokia is only important in the setup with operators and patents and the legal clauses may be tied to the name so that's why I see it sticking for a bit until full transfer is complete. The Lumia brand is pretty strong so I can see them using it as a leverage for the time being then either slowly brining in their 'brand'. Typical acquisition.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Its all good. The media had that twisted every which way at first so that nobody knew what the hell was going on. I was simply recalling from memory.

MICROV91

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
MS said that they will use shorter names for phones. So they will probably name them only Lumia XXX . And NOKIA logo on the back will be replaced by MS logo form the front (button) . And i think that would look cool .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99