Will there be proper apps for Google applications in Windows 10 for phones?

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
You're right, I don't know everything but I took the time to learn what it is before I made dumb *** statements.
I just tried to compare it with net neutrality nothing else and if felt bad about my last reply then don't be because I was not at all angry but at least mind your language and also we are neither friends nor known to each other so it would be better if you just use better words.... And yes I think you are right it not at all related to net neutrality

FindleInClev

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for the idea of universal apps. I'm all for the idea of Continuum. I'm just taking a developer point of view here. I'm trying to remove people's rose tinted glasses. It's all great stuff but how do you see this attracting developers?

I saw Mary Joe Foley's interview with the MS Devs on Channel 9 from Build and she posed that question directly to them. One of the interesting things they mentioned is that they can now offer all of their crazy Azure services as part of a package deal, and I think that is going to be a big strategy going forward. So forget the money directly dealing with users, but the discounts of hosting, data warehousing, BI, SQL services, etc, that MS can offer at deep discounts as part of negotiating to get app deals. And then you throw in the Android/IOS compilers they can offer, it's all part of the value proposition they can bring to companies.

So yes, the marketshare isn't there to attract automatically, but you throw in really cutting hosting/data costs of running a modern application across all platforms, and that could be significant.

But I do agree, unfortunately, esp. when it comes to the immediate future for WP here in the US and West, I don't see things changing much - in fact I think MS has pretty much come to the conclusion that for this generation, high end phones are a lost cause, but 'Windows Mobile' is really more about making small tablets more appealing. After being with WP since day 1, I'll be moving to a LG G4 here shortly.

I can only hope things can turn around and there is a WP to return to in the next year and a half or so.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Every company is selfish and self serving, that business. Google doesn't like/hates Microsoft and that's not unwarranted or irrational. They have some amazing services, and Microsoft has some pretty good services aswell. If Google chooses not to support Microsoft platform, that is their right.
Of course its their right. Just as it would be anyone's right to despise <insert any ethnic/religious group>. But I think Tsang's point is even if its their right, its a good practice to shun people/companies who behave that way JUST because they behave that way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But I think Tsang's point is even if its their right, its a good practice to shun people/companies who behave that way JUST because they behave that way.

And that is your right. Google knows that a few might do that. They also know that the number who do it will be insignificant.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is 100% within someone right to hate <insert literally anything/anyone/anywhere here>. Doesn't mean it the right thing to do, nor is it any less ignorant to do to. But in term of this tread and Google, it is the right business decision to leave Windows Phone out.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe that LaRue was referring to Windows Store apps in terms of numbers. No one is saying that Windows 10 will fail - Windows is still the most widely used OS by a wide margin.

Windows Store apps are the limiting factor here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe that LaRue was referring to Windows Store apps in terms of numbers. No one is saying that Windows 10 will fail - Windows is still the most widely used OS by a wide margin.

Windows Store apps are the limiting factor here.

Correct.

I can't seem to see the quoted text by the other person...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just tried to compare it with net neutrality nothing else and if felt bad about my last reply then don't be because I was not at all angry but at least mind your language and also we are neither friends nor known to each other so it would be better if you just use better words.... And yes I think you are right it not at all related to net neutrality

I was not angry either just making a point that I actually read about things before making statements. I don't claim to know everything but I am happy to learn. I'm also happy to have people point out when I might be wrong as well.

I like a good argument sometimes. Unfortunately not many people get that. The PC world... sigh.

Don't fret about it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh so you think that's not at all serious topic, good for you.

It's a very important topic if you ask me. I guess some people don't understand the seriousness behind it. I was going to say something but I didn't want to argue any more.

If people want monopolies controlling their content that's their prerogative I guess.

Last edited:

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't agree that Google, as a tech giant, needs to be so selfish in order to survive. There are many ways to survive but Google chooses the selfish way. This is the truth.
No offense but do you know how capitalism works?

No publicly held company exists simply to "survive". Their purpose is to flourish. Indeed, stockholders demand this.

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes there will be proper Google apps.

For Google search just press the magnifying glass on your screen or click the Cortana tile.

For Hangouts click the Skype tile, or open your messaging app.

For Youtube choose any number of the hundreds of amazing Youtube apps that exist from the store (I recommend MetroTube).

For Gmail, open the Mail / Outlook app and add an account. Put in your Gmail credentials.

For Google Plus, just do like everyone else and not use it.

Raj Poladia

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes there will be proper Google apps.

For Google search just press the magnifying glass on your screen or click the Cortana tile.

For Hangouts click the Skype tile, or open your messaging app.

For Youtube choose any number of the hundreds of amazing Youtube apps that exist from the store (I recommend MetroTube).

For Gmail, open the Mail / Outlook app and add an account. Put in your Gmail credentials.

For Google Plus, just do like everyone else and not use it.

Amazing answers I must say.....

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
No offense but do you know how capitalism works?

No publicly held company exists simply to "survive". Their purpose is to flourish. Indeed, stockholders demand this.

This is just my personal comments on Google's behaviour. They have the right to do this but I also have the right to criticize them, right?

Well, "flourish" may be a better description. Google has chosen a way to "flourish" that is not welcome by some people. And this is not just my thought.

Of course we are discussing this matter not from shareholders' points of view. After all, this is not a stock market forum. While we understand what capitalism is, we are just users and we are just expressing our feelings, as users, alright?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers