Windows 10 autoplay

FinnishDude

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello

How the heck I can choose what program will be run automatically, for example when I put movie DVD to drive and want to use VLC or MediaPlayerClassic?

Now options what I can see are only to use pre-installed "apps"

Is this windows 10 really so bad as I think it is? Dealing with default programs are a pain as every single program I want to choose to open files or to perform operation like this one are not there! Everything has to be "apps" from "appstore" and app this and app that... Is this really the future of computing?

And even worse, I think I am few days over the month reverse period...

Last edited by a moderator:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello

How the heck I can choose what program will be run automatically, for example when I put movie DVD to drive and want to use VLC or MediaPlayerClassic?

Now options what I can see are only to use pre-installed "apps"

Is this windows 10 really so bad as I think it is? Dealing with default programs are a pain as every single program I want to choose to open files or to perform operation like this one are not there! Everything has to be "apps" from "appstore" and app this and app that... Is this really the future of computing?

And even worse, I think I am few days over the month reverse period...

when you right click the dvd drive, do you see autoplay options? I believe you can set them from there
Same thing with files - right click and open with -select program

FinnishDude

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
when you right click the dvd drive, do you see autoplay options? I believe you can set them from there
Same thing with files - right click and open with -select program

Some background, I installed win 10 at last day of free update chance. I previously had legit win 7 professional and I have loved it. I did just install win 10 "on top" of my win 7.

When I right-click my DVD-drive with disc in it, there is option called "Open autoplay...", but only options available are 1. Find a new DVD app (!!?!) 2. Play audio and video (with "Media Player") 3. Take no action.

I have VLC-player, Media Player Classic and whatnot installed so can I somehow determine with what program I can open DVD media? So I do not have to always open my preferred media tool before I insert the disc.

Same thing with other default programs. I have 7zip installed and I had to dig deep to get it open .rar on my desktop by default. Tried to right-click the .rar and open with 7zip, but it was not visible in that menu. It seems that NO programs that are not downloaded via Store, are visible in any option list of win 10. This makes this version on windows just carbage.

This 7zip problem I was able to solve by going to good old control panel (yey it still exists!) and there I had to go and choose default program by file extension. Then it finally worked and my .rar opens with 7zip by default.

Everything, I mean everything, is made just too hard and around "apps" with this new and shiny UI, but it seariously is made for idiots who can not change desktop background image without deleting C:/ drive. Seariously. Now when I have used win 10 a month after belowed 7, it is just carbage. Of course there are changes that need time to get used to, but so far everything is too "protected" or restricted for user point of view.

FinnishDude

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I already made a new post and it is at check at moderators, so I don't know which one of these posts pop up first. But to add, the "Media Player" that is literally only option with new istall of win 10 at autoplay, is just carbage. You know, with logo of black background with colorful bars that make a wave. You can not play DVD movie with it. There is no chance for selecting language or any other action, and it just plays every possible scenario. And, it is trial version. after 10 second watching it insterts a big watermark to the center and says you have to buy full version.

So win10 has by default this crap media player that is demo only and by my experience so far, you can not change other players as default for autoplay. Please, PLEASE prove me wrong with this or I am burning this PC and change back to my old laptop with win 7.

FinnishDude

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
No, I did not download anything from the store. The "Media Player" was there right after update. And I can not use any of my previously installed programs as autoplay.

Below is all options there are for me when I right-click my CD/DVD drive when it has DVD inside. I repeat, I have not installed anything from store since I updated 10 from 7 about 4 weeks ago. It seems to me that win 10 is too strongly built to use only store apps and you can not freely set your OS anymore like you could with 7.

Autoplay.JPG

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Related to this, is anyone getting multiple requests of "what to do" when you plug in the same devie? Sometimes I plug in my tablet or external drive after days or a couple weeks and it just asks me again even though I've already selected what I want to do with it. It happens sporadically and not consistently. It's happened on all my Win10 devices. Is this a common issue, or has this been covered elsewhere?

Mark

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No, I did not download anything from the store. The "Media Player" was there right after update. And I can not use any of my previously installed programs as autoplay.

What is your current version of Win10?
Which update installed the "Media Player"?

And which programs do you have that you cannot use and are they still functioning correctly after the Win10 update?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Related to this, is anyone getting multiple requests of "what to do" when you plug in the same devie? Sometimes I plug in my tablet or external drive after days or a couple weeks and it just asks me again even though I've already selected what I want to do with it. It happens sporadically and not consistently. It's happened on all my Win10 devices. Is this a common issue, or has this been covered elsewhere?

Mark

it happens for me every time I plug in my phone, but not anything else

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
That's weird, it happens with pretty much everything I've plugged in, at least once. Would this be symptomatic of a device driver issue, I wonder..?

Devices include my iPhone, an Android Tablet, and most every external USB drive or HDD I've plugged in.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss