Windows 10 Clean Install Epic Fail

steveinby

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I performed a clean Windows 10 re-install on my Encore 2 using the Windows Media Creation tool with a flash drive, keyboard, and mouse through a powered USB hub and OTG cable. Everything seemed to go fine during the installation process but now I am unable to use the touchscreen. I assume that there must be a unique Toshiba driver that I am missing but can not locate a touchscreen driver on the Toshiba website or anywhere else. I can't get to the Toshiba Recovery image or I'm possibly doing something wrong. Either way I'm still stuck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I presume you can still can use the mouse and keyboard via the hub?

Also have you looked through the device manager to see if there are any devices with a yellow question mark?

steveinby

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I presume you can still can use the mouse and keyboard via the hub?

Also have you looked through the device manager to see if there are any devices with a yellow question mark?

Yes, I can still use the mouse and keyboard via the hub and Yes, I have looked through the device manager for any devices with a yellow question mark. I should add that in the Device Manager under Human Interface I did not see any indication of a touchscreen device.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can still use the mouse and keyboard via the hub and Yes, I have looked through the device manager for any devices with a yellow question mark. I should add that in the Device Manager under Human Interface I did not see any indication of a touchscreen device.

I see, I don't suppose you tried adding new hardware via control panel?

Also did you create a recovery media usb at anytime at all?

When you did a clean install did you repartition the drive?

Have you tried using the Toshiba System driver?

support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200007163&osId=26

I had a quick search and was able to find this.

It details how to get into the bootloader to select the recovery image however you would have had to create a recovery media before hand. You maybe able to use the USB created with media creation tool however I can not confirm that.

aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD4103K90000R01.htm

It's best to use this to create a reliable recovery usb:

Encore WT8-A32 Support | Toshiba

steveinby

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
I had tried looking for help on Toshiba's website but had always been entering my serial number so I was not seeing either of the System Driver or the Recovery Media options. I downloaded and applied the System Driver with no apparent results. I download, ran and created the Recovery Media. The first time I ran it, the screens had different options that what was shown on the Toshiba website. I tried a couple of different options but either nothing would happen or I would get an error message saying that winload.efi was either missing or corrupt. After that it ran a chkdsk on the System Recovery partion saying it was making repairs. Subsequently the tablet no longer recognizes my USB hub so I have no way of interacting with it. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and take it to a Service Center and see if they can do anything. Just wanted to thank you for your time and effort in providing me with assistance in trying to resolve this problem.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I had tried looking for help on Toshiba's website but had always been entering my serial number so I was not seeing either of the System Driver or the Recovery Media options. I downloaded and applied the System Driver with no apparent results. I download, ran and created the Recovery Media. The first time I ran it, the screens had different options that what was shown on the Toshiba website. I tried a couple of different options but either nothing would happen or I would get an error message saying that winload.efi was either missing or corrupt. After that it ran a chkdsk on the System Recovery partion saying it was making repairs. Subsequently the tablet no longer recognizes my USB hub so I have no way of interacting with it. I think I'm going to throw in the towel and take it to a Service Center and see if they can do anything. Just wanted to thank you for your time and effort in providing me with assistance in trying to resolve this problem.

That's a pain, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help...

Hopefully the service centre will be able to resolve and fix your issues.

Let us know how it goes in the end :)

Good luck!

steveinby

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Just wanted to let you and anyone who comes across this thread know what happened. Before I left for the Service Center I retried hooking the tablet up to the USB hub again and this time it connected so apparently I just had a bad connection before. I was finally able to get everything working by downloading the Intel Platform Installer under Windows 8.1 from Toshiba Support. I subsequently downloaded the Intel Platform Driver Installer and Toshiba System Driver, also from the Windows 8.1 section. I don't know if the last two downloads were necessary but they didn't seem to hurt either. I had tried using the Toshiba Recovery Media that I had downloaded from Toshiba Support, but that didn't correct the problem so apparently the Toshiba Recovery Media doesn't include the Intel Platform Installer.

I want to thank you again for your help. I never would have thought to look at anything under Windows 8.1 without your suggestion, so you were instrumental in my getting this resolved.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let you and anyone who comes across this thread know what happened. Before I left for the Service Center I retried hooking the tablet up to the USB hub again and this time it connected so apparently I just had a bad connection before. I was finally able to get everything working by downloading the Intel Platform Installer under Windows 8.1 from Toshiba Support. I subsequently downloaded the Intel Platform Driver Installer and Toshiba System Driver, also from the Windows 8.1 section. I don't know if the last two downloads were necessary but they didn't seem to hurt either. I had tried using the Toshiba Recovery Media that I had downloaded from Toshiba Support, but that didn't correct the problem so apparently the Toshiba Recovery Media doesn't include the Intel Platform Installer.

I want to thank you again for your help. I never would have thought to look at anything under Windows 8.1 without your suggestion, so you were instrumental in my getting this resolved.

Thanks for confirming everything is now working ^_^.

I imagine the information will be helpful to others who may encounter the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)