Windows 10 for mobile needs pen and ink support like tablets !!! Why was it left out?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So far I have found only 2 apps that will allow for drawing and hand printing a note on Windows 10 for mobile ( past fresh paint ).

Squid and Sketch will work with an Fine point Active stylus ( Adonit Jot Script), however with no ability to calibrate the screen like Win10 on my Tablet, there is a very odd offset from where I touch the screen and what is being drawn. I will guess as is the screen can not tell the difference between a finger and the tip of the stylus.

This could be very useful for our large screen devices 950 xl, 640 xl, 1520 and so on.......

Will the anniversary update let pen and ink support loose??????

Can this be an issue raised via feedback?

Anyone at all interested in pen support in mobile?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Many are pretty sure this will definitely be coming to mobile as well as desktop. Probably to support new phones. Let's see :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Supporting that type of stylus with accuracy is something that is hardware based. You don't have the screen for it, to be honest. Very few laptops have a screen for it, and only certain tablets that come made for that have it.

My touch screen tablet does not allow for pen use except with a standard capacitive touch stylus.

That is supposed to be coming from what I hear, but new phones would have to specifically support it through the screen's interface for it to be applicable. Apps won't support what we don't yet have hardware to do.

For free draw apps, yeah, developers don't see people don't that on phones much, so it doesn't come to the phone. It's seen as more of a tablet thing and has been left there. It's short-sighted by developers and is something that the UWP should help to correct as more developers get the code done for it. What will work on the tablet will begin to work on the phone, etc.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Supporting that type of stylus with accuracy is something that is hardware based. You don't have the screen for it, to be honest. Very few laptops have a screen for it, and only certain tablets that come made for that have it.

My touch screen tablet does not allow for pen use except with a standard capacitive touch stylus.

That is supposed to be coming from what I hear, but new phones would have to specifically support it through the screen's interface for it to be applicable. Apps won't support what we don't yet have hardware to do.

For free draw apps, yeah, developers don't see people don't that on phones much, so it doesn't come to the phone. It's seen as more of a tablet thing and has been left there. It's short-sighted by developers and is something that the UWP should help to correct as more developers get the code done for it. What will work on the tablet will begin to work on the phone, etc.

Ok time to clear up a point that is not understood by many.....Your touch screen tablet does not allow for the use of a Wacom, Synaptics, or other pen that requires a digitizer layer ( Surface Pro Pen and the like), but will allow for the use of an Active Stylus like the Adonit Jot Script ( fine tip ), as it is just like the fat mush tip however has far better control and close to Digitizer Pen ability to write and draw.

How do I know this????? I use an Adonit Jot Script Active stylus on my Acer W3 tablet. Now do not get me wrong I am not saying it is as good as Surface + Surface Pen, but it blows away the old style mush tip by miles. The Acer W3 was never built to have a pen, and it lacks a digitizer layer so a Surface Pen will not work with it.

A demo of the Pen and Tablet the day I got it....please forgive my sloppy hand writing in One Note and Evernote

So as it stands with use of an Active Stylus ( a device that uses battery to mimic static charge your finger has ), with a fine tip, drawing and notes can be taken with devices not designed as note takers.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok I used feed back app and posted.......

Could use some upvotes !!!!!!!!! Any who are interested !!!!!

It's in Mobile Environment , just filter your search....... Pen
wp_ss_20160406_0001.pngwp_ss_20160406_0002.png

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So as it stands with use of an Active Stylus ( a device that uses battery to mimic static charge your finger has ), with a fine tip, drawing and notes can be taken with devices not designed as note takers.

Apparently I have misunderstood what the Active Stylus is. I may have to invest and try that out with mine.

Yeah, I'll up-vote that. Thanks. Definitely something I'd like to see.

EDIT: Found it and up-voted.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Curious, do you pair that with Bluetooth? And how difficult is it working without palm rejection?

It will pair with bluetooth, however as the Stylus maker does not market for Windows the limited available palm reject for iOS does not apply. If more Windows users start to buy I am sure they will look into it.

I will admit at first it seems tough to keep your hand off the screen, but that is just because you have a life time of holding a pen resting your hand on paper or a desk. After a few days it almost became natural to keep my hand off the screen. With a phone it's even more natural, like holding a note pad and writing a note....your mind just has to adapt to holding the pen like you do with a small paper note pad but for tablet.

Be aware the Adonit Jot Script I got came with 6 months of Evernote upgrade, even with the sale discount it was close to $90. There are others but as I have yet to test I can not say how well they work.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I use an Adonit Jot Script Active stylus

Just got one and looking forward to trying it out. I've got a couple of games that are meant for mouse control on my touchscreen 2-in-1, and those games need finer precision control for pointing. This may do the trick. Of course, I got it for mark-up and notes, not for gaming, but it's worth a shot. ;) Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Adonit Jot Script Active Stylus on a door-buster type sale that only lasted an hour. I happened to be at the right place at the right time, I guess. Got it for just under $20. I'm happy with that purchase. 10 minutes after I checked out, price went back to $74.99. I was smiling.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got one and looking forward to trying it out. I've got a couple of games that are meant for mouse control on my touchscreen 2-in-1, and those games need finer precision control for pointing. This may do the trick. Of course, I got it for mark-up and notes, not for gaming, but it's worth a shot. ;) Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Adonit Jot Script Active Stylus on a door-buster type sale that only lasted an hour. I happened to be at the right place at the right time, I guess. Got it for just under $20. I'm happy with that purchase. 10 minutes after I checked out, price went back to $74.99. I was smiling.

That is awesome !!! They say a charge will last for 20 hours of screen contact time, I did not time it, however charging is easy and fast enough.

! press on the power button will put it in pair mode, a press after keeps power on but not in pair mode now. Two quick presses the light will come on and stay on a few seconds then fade....that is power off. Or if you leave the pen inactive for 2 min it turns off.

I use the Pen with Hearthstone and the Candy Crush games, and I like it for the better control!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to add...if you find on your Two in One that there is any offset ( most times not ) run screen calibration ( touching the four corners ), I run it 4 times when I first got it, then did a reboot just to be safe.

I have no idea if it helped or was just my over cautious nature, but it only take about a min to run a few times + reboot time.

I just wish calibration was in mobile 10.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't figure out where that was in settings until I searched settings with Cortana. Thanks for the heads up. That does help to calibrate it.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking maybe the Surface Pen Loop may be a way to keep my Jot with my Tablet. Once I get a nice case, or figure a way to attach it to a keyboard that has built in stand. Logitech K480. Just have to find one of the metal pocket clips that slide off a bic style ball point.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My review. I got the Jot Script, but on my laptop with touch screen, there are a lot of "holes" and all lines are drawn horizontally and vertically on a grid, with holes where the lines would cross and in between lines. There are also several dead areas, which explains the frustration I have had with touch at times on this laptop. It's a sorry implementation of the touch screen tech, to say the least. I imagine this will only be truly useful for a higher end touch screen.

On my phone, the Lumia 640, it doesn't have the same limitations as my laptop, and works "most of the time." However, I have enough "holes" in the touch areas that don't register a touch that whenever you drag across one, it drops as if you've picked up the pen. Very frustrating. I'm assuming a 950XL has a better quality screen than the 640. ;)

Ah, well. Not even good for games, but since I bought it for $19.99, and the price went back up the next day to $82, I may be able to find a local buyer and make a profit, if I don't find a reason to hang on to it. I'm going to test it on my wife's phone and see if it has less "holes."

It could also be an issue on my phone with my tempered glass screen protector, which adds a bit of thickness between the screen and the stylus. Let me know if I need to consider peeling it off (which I don't really want to do.) I suppose I could peel off one on a backup phone.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My review. I got the Jot Script, but on my laptop with touch screen, there are a lot of "holes" and all lines are drawn horizontally and vertically on a grid, with holes where the lines would cross and in between lines. There are also several dead areas, which explains the frustration I have had with touch at times on this laptop. It's a sorry implementation of the touch screen tech, to say the least. I imagine this will only be truly useful for a higher end touch screen.

On my phone, the Lumia 640, it doesn't have the same limitations as my laptop, and works "most of the time." However, I have enough "holes" in the touch areas that don't register a touch that whenever you drag across one, it drops as if you've picked up the pen. Very frustrating. I'm assuming a 950XL has a better quality screen than the 640. ;)

Ah, well. Not even good for games, but since I bought it for $19.99, and the price went back up the next day to $82, I may be able to find a local buyer and make a profit, if I don't find a reason to hang on to it. I'm going to test it on my wife's phone and see if it has less "holes."

It could also be an issue on my phone with my tempered glass screen protector, which adds a bit of thickness between the screen and the stylus. Let me know if I need to consider peeling it off (which I don't really want to do.) I suppose I could peel off one on a backup phone.
I am sorry to hear of your hardware issues!! As I have not found this in my case. My Acer W3, which I would class as a budget Tablet ($199 New from Staples on sale), was universally given poor reviews (all over YouTube). It works flawlessly with the Jot Script, I would say better in 10 over 8.1.

On my Lumia 640 XL (no screen protector), a slight offset, but good enough for Candy Crush games.
I feel if Microsoft added pen support to mobile, this would improve vastly!!

Using Squid on 640 XL will allow me rough hand written notes, but needs pen support natively in the OS, which I hope comes in Anniversary update.

Maybe hold on to your Jot till then to see what comes.

On your laptop, you have newest/updated drivers for your touch screen????? Maybe something to look into.......

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
On your laptop, you have newest/updated drivers for your touch screen????? Maybe something to look into.......

Lenovo doesn't provide drivers for my touchscreen. I've checked the support site for it. They have drivers for virtually everything except the touch screen.

What is used is a driver provided by Microsoft for an HID-compliant touch screen and it has a driver date of 6/21/2006, driver version 10.0.10586.0.

I've tried to update the driver to no avail. More than likely, this is my issue, and it's Lenovo's fault.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
More attempts and making it work better on the laptop. I haven't tried the Insider on it yet to see if Inking support helps any. It may, but may not.

However, I removed the tempered glass screen protector from the Lumia 640, and it is amazingly accurate now without the drops anywhere. I didn't realize how much weight it added. I could feel the difference. I compared it to my wife's, and her tempered glass is quite thin, and mine is much thicker. Pen works better on hers, but now that my screen is going naked, mine is smoothest.

I'm liking this.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
More attempts and making it work better on the laptop. I haven't tried the Insider on it yet to see if Inking support helps any. It may, but may not.

However, I removed the tempered glass screen protector from the Lumia 640, and it is amazingly accurate now without the drops anywhere. I didn't realize how much weight it added. I could feel the difference. I compared it to my wife's, and her tempered glass is quite thin, and mine is much thicker. Pen works better on hers, but now that my screen is going naked, mine is smoothest.

I'm liking this.

I am not sure Insider on Laptop would make things better....as the driver would more then likely default to what you have now. I would say maybe try to find a way to hack a driver in from another source ( other Laptop that uses same screen, maybe but a lot of work). I wish I had better advise.

It is good to know with no screen protector the Jot works much better on your 640!!! As I would say both the 640 and 640 xl are close in quality to 950's.
As no pen support in Windows 10 for mobile, using a Jot on the 950's should give the same result we see.

Add today WC did a story on Inking Center coming to Windows 10 soon, and if we get a mobile version...I am sure the user experience will take a huge leap up!!!!!

I do hope you find something to help with laptop ( driver or hack), so the pen becomes a useful tool for you!!!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Lenovo doesn't provide drivers for my touchscreen. I've checked the support site for it. They have drivers for virtually everything except the touch screen.

What is used is a driver provided by Microsoft for an HID-compliant touch screen and it has a driver date of 6/21/2006, driver version 10.0.10586.0.

I've tried to update the driver to no avail. More than likely, this is my issue, and it's Lenovo's fault.

I am not sure of your model, but a simple bing search for "improved Lenovo touch screen drivers" turned this up.......
http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds001408

it lists Vista and Windows 7 (2009), so depending on age of your model, something may be out there.......

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb