Windows 10 for phones (an honest review)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to tell my kids to keep their fingers away from the stove, that disobeying me would not only cause them to get burned, but force me to spank them. My kids listened but Ars Technica's bloggers either didn't listen, didn't understand or simply looking for page clicks. They were warned hundreds of times as were you, that it was rough build but we (Microsoft) need testers. Its pretty much settled that Windows 10 for Phones is a technical preview when it was announced and written about in hundreds of articles.

Plenty of disclaimers in the install itself but many, like you forged ahead anyway. So to write a story spelling it out as if you didn't know before hand seems to cast undo blame at Microsoft (my view) simply for making it available. I am glad you were able to roll back since there are some who say they are unable to.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
With a massive error in the second sentence, I'm not sure I even want to read the whole review.
It must be something that they ask anyone writing about any version of Windows on any platform:
"Do you understand it? Have you used it?"
"Yes"
"Oh. We actually need a chump to write some negative, inaccurate twaddle to generate traffic. You're not a good "fit". Thanks for your time anyway"

There should be some sort of easily recognisable qualification for tech journalists so they can collectively clean up their act.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I installed WP 10 to...on.my Lumia 1020...thou is was slow at times...i decided to hard reset....now still on 10 tp trying to understand it...thou my Lumia 1020 is my daily driver..
I.hope IT works well...thou most apps are working ...for me office apps not working is a bummer...will use I for few days then will revert to WP 8.1 with GDR 2...iam happy to give feed back about windows 10 tp

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am in the process of restoring back to Windows Phone 8.1, there is a loooooong way to go. I don't even know if I will like the final results. It isn't the bugs (I understand the technical preview aspect of it)...the snippets of UI that I have seen is headed in the wrong direction IMHO. I am a very very big MS supporter and I have supported Windows Phone or years. Maybe Windows 10 will unify all Windows, but I'll save that for my Xbox One, Tablets, and Laptops. I may very well be getting an iPhone next. Windows 10 for phones is taking the People hub in a horrible direction, Outlook is good, but lack of multiple tiles for multiple emails is bad. Android Icons? iOS sliders? Round pictures? They are butchering the uniqueness of Windows Phone...and it isn't pretty. I hope they don't stray too far from what makes Windows Phone, WP. I hope this is kind of like "Let's throw everything against a wall and see what people like" mentality. If not they need new designers.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am in the process of restoring back to Windows Phone 8.1, there is a loooooong way to go. I don't even know if I will like the final results. It isn't the bugs (I understand the technical preview aspect of it)...the snippets of UI that I have seen is headed in the wrong direction IMHO. I am a very very big MS supporter and I have supported Windows Phone or years. Maybe Windows 10 will unify all Windows, but I'll save that for my Xbox One, Tablets, and Laptops. I may very well be getting an iPhone next. Windows 10 for phones is taking the People hub in a horrible direction, Outlook is good, but lack of multiple tiles for multiple emails is bad. Android Icons? iOS sliders? Round pictures? They are butchering the uniqueness of Windows Phone...and it isn't pretty. I hope they don't stray too far from what makes Windows Phone, WP. I hope this is kind of like "Let's throw everything against a wall and see what people like" mentality. If not they need new designers.

It takes all kinds I guess. I think it better to allow tech types to manage this part of the development cycle. The definition alone (technical preview) has your ears pinned way back.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am not understanding what you mean by "Tech Types". I am fully aware of what a Technical Preview means. It certainly doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to uninstall it if it is so buggy that it inhibits me from using my phone (I don't have a backup to install it to w/o a shattered screen). I will give it another shot on the next release. At its current unfinished state, I understand that there are OS issues, the post was about a review for Windows Phone 10, I added my opinions. My issue is not the problems. My issue is the direction the GUI is headed. I do not like what I am seeing currently. Functional or not functional it is not something I find aesthetically pleasing. BTW, thanks for your concern about me being able to manage my technology. I assure you, I know full well what I'm doing.

revanthpallagani

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I haven't installed the preview, but the screenshots in above link make me sad. The uniqueness of WP is going away. Instead of playing catch up with other GUIs Microsoft should be concentrating in making the existing one better (I have absolutely no problem with the current interface).
Why fix what's not broken? If I want an Androidy interface I will pick up an Android. I too believe they are heading the wrong direction. May be right in a financial and statistical perspective, time only will tell.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Folks, I think we're going to have to get used to the fact that our beloved OS is going to start looking like the competition. It's been 5 years and it hasn't caught on, with or without apps. It's not a defeatist attitude but sometimes you have to know when it's time for a change. I don't know what hamburgers are other than what they sell at McDonald's, but most of you seem to know and that's where Microsoft is looking. Forget the glitches associated with the TP and let's look at the UI. So they went with round thumbnails for contacts, so what? If you don't like it, stay with the People Legacy contacts. The choice is there, use it. I've heard the argument of "if it looks like Android, why not just get an Android and enjoy more apps?" Well, there's hardware considerations and we still don't know how the "unification" is going to play out. There's already enough functionality to make a strong case for not going with an iPhone, with or without apps. Out of the box, WP (in any form) has more to offer than iOS. The difference maker is obviously the app selection, but that's it. Even with apps, there are still some things an iPhone simply can't do.

This will probably be Microsoft's last major reboot for phones. The choice is simple, take it or leave it. We don't need any more rants, that time is past.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't installed the preview, but the screenshots in above link make me sad. The uniqueness of WP is going away. Instead of playing catch up with other GUIs Microsoft should be concentrating in making the existing one better (I have absolutely no problem with the current interface).
Why fix what's not broken? If I want an Androidy interface I will pick up an Android. I too believe they are heading the wrong direction. May be right in a financial and statistical perspective, time only will tell.

You'll get used to it. It won't be an android nor will it ever bog down like android so no worries. It is an evolving platform and to make the phone a bit less intimidating to smart phone users, MS IMHO is making the best moves it can to both keep you happy and allow for the unwashed to want to experience it. So expect a few compromises and and adjustments to standards. If that is too much then you might need to take a step back and let this play out. Life an business is all about compromise. The only platform that did not have to compromise is Apple. They were the pioneers doing what they did with the modern smartphone and their was no model.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not understanding what you mean by "Tech Types". I am fully aware of what a Technical Preview means. It certainly doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to uninstall it if it is so buggy that it inhibits me from using my phone (I don't have a backup to install it to w/o a shattered screen). I will give it another shot on the next release. At its current unfinished state, I understand that there are OS issues, the post was about a review for Windows Phone 10, I added my opinions. My issue is not the problems. My issue is the direction the GUI is headed. I do not like what I am seeing currently. Functional or not functional it is not something I find aesthetically pleasing. BTW, thanks for your concern about me being able to manage my technology. I assure you, I know full well what I'm doing.
You said,
"I am in the process of restoring back to Windows Phone 8.1, there is a loooooong way to go. I don't even know if I will like the final results. It isn't the bugs (I understand the technical preview aspect of it)...the snippets of UI that I have seen is headed in the wrong direction IMHO."
I read, Long way to go. You don't know if you will like the final and the design is headed in the wrong direction, in your opinion.
Now you are talking about having trouble uninstalling the TP as if you said nothing else. But I can ignore it like you did.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If your thinking, doubting or just confused about upgrading to windows 10 for phones, read this review, I tried windows 10, then went back to 8.1, this review sums up how I felt ��

A closer look at the rather rough and not yet ready Windows 10 for phones | Ars Technica
Good solid review, thanks for the link. Of the 100+ comments on the website, pretty much all of them hated it. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. The cheap phone market has other solid players these days. Our "beloved" OS might be the death of this platform.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of the many who have rolled back to 8.1. But indeed I am quite satisfied with the new UI and also the new Outlook Calendar & Mail apps. I rolled back because the preview has so many bugs that I find it inconvenient to use as my phone. I think the ultimate purpose of the preview is for Msft to receive valuable feedback (and hence a better Win10 on release).

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You said,
"I am in the process of restoring back to Windows Phone 8.1, there is a loooooong way to go. I don't even know if I will like the final results. It isn't the bugs (I understand the technical preview aspect of it)...the snippets of UI that I have seen is headed in the wrong direction IMHO."
I read, Long way to go. You don't know if you will like the final and the design is headed in the wrong direction, in your opinion.
Now you are talking about having trouble uninstalling the TP as if you said nothing else. But I can ignore it like you did.

You totally took what I was saying out of context...granted my punctuation and stream of conscious writing didn't help. I restored back to 8.1 easily and I am happier. Like I said, I'll give Win10 another go on a newer more "stable build" this one did not work at all on my 1520. Too many errors that I couldn't look past. Plus, I am not happy with the GUI direction...but it is early and things do change, hopefully the feedback MS gets is put to good use.

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 for phone...
Cons:
It is not much convenient for me...touching the screen is not as wp8.1(it need more improvements)
Photo app crashes every time,glance screen,data toggle,flight mode,as more options doesn't work very well for my phone,also the screen shot is not working(they didn't implemented it)
In phablets (as I'm using L1320) components(text,buttons,etc) are not arranged properly.They are always overlapped.After switching off the phone the goodbye text is always displayed on left side(slightly upside)not in middle...
Also the I can see one or two white lines after pulling down the notification bar...
Battery saver app not showing any battery usage of the apps
Battery drains faster than wp8.1
Also the os is little bit laggy (it is like i'm using android phone XD :p )
Still it is in TP so these are normal bugs
But the pros are nice...
Pros:
App switching is faster than w8.1...no resuming screen(that's why it eats battery I think so)
Notification panel is much more better now
Settings are arranged properly
Keyboard is awesome(I got every thing in the keyboard l like the new functionalities of keyboard)
Minimalistic design is implemented in the UI(I.e. Gerry color in buttons)...it looks better than only black and white UI design
Also the calendar and mail(aka outlook mail) app are much better now...minimalistic design...

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 635 to test this out on, not wanting to put it on my 1520.3 .. but ironically I have ended up using this little neon yellow brick as my daily driver for the time being, and giving the 1520 a little bit of a rest (lovely phone, but it's really big!!)

As a result of this, There are too many things that are broken/that I don't like to make it useful on my 635 .. so I rolled it back to 8.1 Update 1

Also someone made this comment

"Losing the ability to pin individual inboxes is a show stopper for me. It's the reason I rolled back to 8.1. I believe that's the way it going to go in RTM. In that case, I'll move back to Android."

​I rolled back as soon as I saw that on my phone .. Not going to android, but from what I've tried with windows 10 (both desktop and now phone) I think that all my devices are going to be staying at 8.1 for the foreseeable future -- I rolled back to 8.1 desktop about a month ago. I just don't like the way MS is doing a 180 on a lot of things that made 8.1 so great (full XAML start screen for starters)

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the WP10 TP on my spare 920. To me it's "meh".

I guess I'm one of those who hate change to a degree especially when the whole goal of Windows was to be different. You know how the timeline went: iOS came out first missing some stuff, then Android came out with their OS with the things missing from iOS plus more (copy and paste and etc.). Then it was back and forth of them copying each other (from phones to GUI and etc). Now they pretty much are neck and neck with each other as far as GUI minus a few hardware differences/software differences. Windows was always that one that differentiated itself from copying iOS and Android bits and most of the GUI was similar to Zune (Remember the ZUNE!?)

Now it just seems like the One Plus One phone that I recently sold about 3 months ago. Some of the things are similar (Contacts, Settings) but I'm still playing around with it. W

I guess my main complaint is when you get used to a certain GUI since the Windows 7 days (Samsung Focus/HTC Titan) and then come to this, it's like "WHY?". It's like when Windows was pretty much the same (Windows 95-Vista) until you got to Widows 8 and you heard the complaints then. Same deal here. iOS has been pretty much identical to me since the Iphone days when it didn't even have 3G on the phone and that was way back in 2006/07.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb