Windows 10 Mobile and 3rd party GPS

jayman713

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded my Lumia 830 to Windows 10 and have noticed a few changes that are not good. I have build 10.0.14393.67. Not insider preview.
2 major issues.
1) I use a third party GPS, Navigon, and rely on this. When using the phone to search for an address there is an option to map it, when clicking on this option the phone will open the GPS app. In Windows version 7 and 8 and 8.1 you were able to choose the default app for this the first time you used it, then it would always use the default app. I chose Navigon and it worked great. In Windows 10 you no longer have the option to choose a default app and the browser will automatically open Windows Maps. So the only way I can use Navigon is by adding the address to my contacts first, or manually input the address I just found while driving (pulled over of course) into Navigon, (State, City, Street Name, Street Number) not very convenient.
2) When using the GPS if you are synced to Bluetooth for hands free phone calls you have to have your car stereo in Bluetooth mode to hear the GPS voice. So unless you want silence you have your phone streaming music over the Bluetooth. I have over 8000 songs on my phone so I always stream from my own library. When using Zune and Xbox Music the music would pause when the GPS would speak directions, now with Groove Music when the GPS speaks the music still plays, it makes it very very hard to hear the directions. I know that this is Groove Music and not Navigon because in windows 8 and 8.1 Mix Radio and other 3rd party music players would do to the same thing and I had to makes sure not to use one of them if I knew I would be using the GPS.
One of the best features of Navigon is being able to pin directions to your home screen ahead of time, I will be traveling to California in November an anticipated pinning at least 6 destinations to my home screen, LAX, Hotel, Disneyland, Universal Studios, San Diego Zoo, Mission Beach, etc. Now I do not know what to do.
Because of Windows 10/Groove Music the Navigon app is no longer usable and it was an expensive app. Being on my 3rd Windows phone (Focus, 820, 830) and a strong supporter of the whole Windows eco system this is very frustrating and I know this is silly but I also feel a little betrayed.
Sorry for being long winded.
Thanks for listening?.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss