Windows 10: Problems from the start, November upgrade even worse. What do I do?

Nenad Cveticanin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10: Problems from the start, November upgrade even worse

I've upgraded my HP Pavillion bought last year with Windows 8.1 pre-installed to Windows 10 this August. From the beginning I could not shut down my PC by going to start>shut down, but I have to shut it down by pressing the physical power button; my bluetooth also stopped working. I've tried several times to get help from Microsoft, but they couldn't do anything. I was hoping the November update will fix those issues but things even got much worse: Now I don't have the option "send to" when clicking the right click at all; my Intel Smart Connect is disabled, and there are also a few minor issues. I've had a session with the guy from Microsoft online support and after an hour he couldn't do anything (although he was being polite and tried everything I've already tried myself). So, now I'm stucked with this c*ap and the only thing I can do is to reset the PC to the factory settings, return to the Windows 8.1 and reinstal all the apps from the scratch (a whole day work, at least). From my experience (and I'm with Microsoft since Windows 98), Windows 10 is absolutely the worst Windows ever (even NT and Vista were better). I'll stick with this sh*t for another month hoping someone in Microsoft will do something about it and then I'll return to 8.1. Or do you have any other idea?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10: Problems from the start, November upgrade even worse

I have another idea for you.

All the issues you are describing look like they can easily be caused by system driver issues. HP has been known to have a number of problems with drivers since the switch to 10. HP is the one responsible to make sure the appropriate drivers are available for the HP hardware in your system.

Check on the HP support site for updated drivers for your system. Get fresh copies of all of them and install them. You'll need drivers for Bluetooth, chipset, Intel Smart Connect, and everything else they have available.

Let us know how it works for you. It's certainly easier than trying to reset to factory settings, and if HP has the proper drivers available, it will also make your PC go from the worst experience ever to possibly the best experience ever.

Mine was horrid until I got the drivers fixed. Ever since then, I've been loving it and everything has worked just as it should. The manufacturer of my laptop did provide the appropriate drivers, so I was in luck with that one.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Sad to know that you are having trouble with the Windows 10 upgrade. For some of us (may be the majority) the upgrade has been absolutely trouble free and everything has worked as expected. In fact, the latest Windows 10 Fall update has bought numerous enhancements and performance improvements to the Windows 10 ecosystem. As a power-user myself, I would recommend backing up your files and perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Fall update (AKA TH2) using the official ISO (Link here). If anything doesn't go as expected you can always reset from within the W10 OS to start fresh (that's why backup your files). If you have any questions, please free to post in the official Windows Central Windows 10 forum.

Also it would be helpful to post your system model # for someone to better assist.

Nenad Cveticanin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Hi rhapdog,
Thank you for the tip. I'll try this later this evening and post the results.
Cheers,
Mate

Nenad Cveticanin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Hi again,
I've done what you told me to. First my HP support assistant said that there aren't any new drivers for my PC. Then, I went to HP support site, had my PC recognized and received a list of recommended and not recommended drivers to install. Yet, when I've tried to install the drivers, I've received the note that the drivers I have on my PC are newer than the ones I'm trying to install. So, I didn't install any. Should I install them and roll back to previous drivers or not? Did you do the same? Thanks

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I've received the note that the drivers I have on my PC are newer than the ones I'm trying to install. So, I didn't install any. Should I install them and roll back to previous drivers or not? Did you do the same? Thanks

I didn't have that particular issue, as my system is Lenovo and not HP. However, I have heard reports from a few people that newer drivers are more a culprit than the older drivers, as Microsoft Update does not always install the most appropriate. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to the other drivers again.

Nenad Cveticanin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Will do. I'm trying installing new intel drivers too and I'll see where will it get me. Thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster