Windows 10 slow boot

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just installed Windows 10 and see a huge drop off in the boot time and shut down times. I have an i7 laptop with the OS partitioned on a SSD drive. Windows 8.1 would take 10-15 seconds to boot up.

This isnt the case here, right after the logo displays, I get a blank screen for a good minute. The laptop is fine after booting up, no lagging or heating issues so far.

I really don't want to clean install, just because the AMD drivers for my gfx card are a pain in the rear to properly install. Also reading people having this issue even after a clean install.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd say give it some time. The first time I opened my laptop (which has an i7 processor and does NOT have SSD) it took over a minute. Two days later and 5 or 6 restarts later, it takes less than 15 seconds to boot up and load the desktop.

Last edited:

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I experience same thing. Sometimes it will boot up in under 30s and other time it takes more than a minute. Feels really sloppy.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This is really bad. My settings touchpad settings keep reverting to default everytime.

Also, my shutdown time: 27s
Boot Time to homescreen: 1:29s

Will probably have to do a clean install

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
hi guys,

i just installed windows 10 and see a huge drop off in the boot time and shut down times. I have an i7 laptop with the os partitioned on a ssd drive. Windows 8.1 would take 10-15 seconds to boot up.

This isnt the case here, right after the logo displays, i get a blank screen for a good minute. The laptop is fine after booting up, no lagging or heating issues so far.

I really don't want to clean install, just because the amd drivers for my gfx card are a pain in the rear to properly install. Also reading people having this issue even after a clean install.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Posted via the windows central app for android

same issue here!

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
This is really bad. My settings touchpad settings keep reverting to default everytime.

Also, my shutdown time: 27s
Boot Time to homescreen: 1:29s

Will probably have to do a clean install

I had this problem with the touchpad settings on my hp pavilion.drove me mad.Id change the settings and it would go back again after a reboot.I reverted back to 8.1 touchpad driver and its fine now.You just have to stop the new driver from automatically updating in windows update which is also a pain

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
for me it is the login screen taking longer than 8.1 after sliding my finger on the scanner, it took literally no time to log in on 8.1, but maybe I'm just confused, I never shutdown my pc I just leave it hibernating or sleeping, when hibernating w10 acts the same, login is instant, but when starting from scratch it takes a few seconds in the login screen which I find annoying on a evo 850 ssd

zomechin

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have an HP Envy Touchsmart (15t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC - for anyone that wants to compare) and the boot time is much slower.

I think I know at least ONE of the potential many culprits here. HP has a driver called "HP Rapid Start Technology." I remember first playing with this in Windows 8.0, toggling it on and off, and it made a drastic difference. In Windows 10, there is no HP Rapid Start Technology. I did enable the option in the BIOS settings, however the driver is not present on the PC. When going to HP's website and the respective driver section, the driver for HP RST is non-existent for Windows 10. I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1 but it fails to correctly install.

I hope so much that this is sorted out. Knowing HP, I am pessimistic. :/

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Also to mention: I thought I can live with this as I usually only restart my laptop once every 3 days or so. However, the sleep and wakeup times were also horrendous. It would take upwards of 30 secs at times.

Found the solution for this. This has to solely do with the Radeon graphics drivers as suspected. I noticed that when I uninstalled the drivers. I researched this and found a suggestion to desable the ULPS. I'm trying to search for the link, but is probably now buried in all the new Windows 10 posts.

So if anyone has Radeon graphics cards, you would need to do the following to quicken the boot process:

1) Download the install AMD Radeon Windows 10 drivers that were released couple of days ago. Ver 15.7.1 I believe.
2) After installing rebooting, go to regedit. In regedit, go to the Find option in the Edit Menu.
3) Search for EnableULPS. Double click on it and change the value from 1 to 0.
4) Exit regedit and restart your laptop.
5) Your boot and sleep times should be much, much better.

The boot time is now 30 secs - not the same as Windows 8/8.1, but still much better than the 90 secs it was taking. Oh, and it sleeps almost instantly too. It's no wonder AMD is in a predicament it is now. Support your products and be off life support. :p

SneakyMicrosoft

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps and wack all those suckers off. I also turned of "get to know me" under the speach, inking & typing tab. Boots right away now where before I'd wait 40 sec - to a minute+ on a black screen before login on a SSD

Also uninstall as many metros by right clicking through the start menu.

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
My LT was really slow after the initial W10 update. I ran defrag/optimize
and it seems to be running great again..took awhile but it seemed to work for me.

It literally took 5-7 minutes just to boot up and now it boots up in about 30-50 secs...plus I didn't change any other settings or turn anything off. I just did the optimize .

PS: I did opt out of all the crap /tracking.

sschevy010

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
If you are experiencing this slowness from after upgrading... Think about... You may have to reinstall drivers which may be chipset/sata related and settings being carried over from existing OS can drag it down too.. I had same problem with my AMD FX8350 uefi system.. So i did clean install and reinstalled proper drivers.. But i think the issue with mine was settings related which fixed slowness.. Only takes 10 sec or less to homescreen now..

Ps i have nvidia gt740

DW2015

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Also to mention: I thought I can live with this as I usually only restart my laptop once every 3 days or so. However, the sleep and wakeup times were also horrendous. It would take upwards of 30 secs at times.

Found the solution for this. This has to solely do with the Radeon graphics drivers as suspected. I noticed that when I uninstalled the drivers. I researched this and found a suggestion to desable the ULPS. I'm trying to search for the link, but is probably now buried in all the new Windows 10 posts.

So if anyone has Radeon graphics cards, you would need to do the following to quicken the boot process:

1) Download the install AMD Radeon Windows 10 drivers that were released couple of days ago. Ver 15.7.1 I believe.
2) After installing rebooting, go to regedit. In regedit, go to the Find option in the Edit Menu.
3) Search for EnableULPS. Double click on it and change the value from 1 to 0.
4) Exit regedit and restart your laptop.
5) Your boot and sleep times should be much, much better.

The boot time is now 30 secs - not the same as Windows 8/8.1, but still much better than the 90 secs it was taking. Oh, and it sleeps almost instantly too. It's no wonder AMD is in a predicament it is now. Support your products and be off life support. :p

This worked for me. My boot time is 18 seconds and sleep time is now instant. I re-installed Win 10 because of that black screen. upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7 was worth it now. Thanks.

Last edited:

drumtrucker

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
My box was booting slow after upgrade to 10 until I went to task manager/startup and disabled 3 Acroins programs Schedule Helper/TIB Mounter Monitor/True Image Monitor. Now it boot is very snappy like it was on 8.1

jheydisuanco

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Try to select "UEFI" mode on your BIOS selection. But only for those UEFI enable BIOS Motherboards only. The Window Installation will convert your SSD/HDD to CBT format. It requires to format again your SSD/HDD. Some Motherboards like mine, have a BIOS Legacy (non-UEFI boards) which Windows convert as MBR. Try to research about UEFI, it really fast your booting than Legacy BIOS (MRB format).

sschevy010

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Try to select "UEFI" mode on your BIOS selection. But only for those UEFI enable BIOS Motherboards only. The Window Installation will convert your SSD/HDD to CBT format. It requires to format again your SSD/HDD. Some Motherboards like mine, have a BIOS Legacy (non-UEFI boards) which Windows convert as MBR. Try to research about UEFI, it really fast your booting than Legacy BIOS (MRB format).

I am using uefi with GPT. It boots up as ASUS logo instead of windows 😁.. Which only rotates 1 1/2 time or less 😁

Lauro Lai

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Installing the latest AMD Radeon Driver + editing the registry as described here above DID THE JOB!!
Before booting up took aprox 90 secs, now around 25!!

Thanks!!!

David Manner

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar issue with Windows 10 starting way too slow. On a hunch, I uninstalled Norton Utilities 16 and that solved my problem. Windows 10 now starts even quicker than Windows 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb