Windows 10 UI is still Messy/Inconsistent

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
@Kram, Yes, let's keep the settings menu that is in some random order and completely unorganized --- yes, that was sacasm. The WP Settings list was never great... you're just used to it. I just picked up a 1020 after being out of the WP ecosystem for nearly 2 years, and I was quickly reminded that that's one of the most irritating things about WP. I'm glad to see the new change.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It is a preview, but I don't think they will change the things OP mentioned.
They won't even notice it. And I think they consider the settings app 99% finished.
Even if you point it out to them and they see it, I don' think they'll do it, since they'll think it's not important.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked, Windows 10 is still WIP.The second Tech Preview release doesn't necessarily mean it's final build.OMG.Would you like some cheese with that whine?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
as a developer i hate it when my PM tells me that the demo build i made to show a feature has inconsistent UI. it's a pre-alpha build. give it some time before complaining about something.
I was going to write the exact same thing, developers were chasing a deadline so the priority would be to complete the functionality, nobody would work on polishing UI for a tech preview, the "UI designers" should wait for a consumer preview before jumping the gun afterall developers have much more things to do than just taking care of indentation.

aerosidinc

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I really want them to show few subheadings in settings menu like android. Scroll bar really needs some overhaul, its too thick and ugly. Ribbon on file explorer needs some work and obviously action center is unpolished.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
@Kram, Yes, let's keep the settings menu that is in some random order and completely unorganized --- yes, that was sacasm. The WP Settings list was never great... you're just used to it. I just picked up a 1020 after being out of the WP ecosystem for nearly 2 years, and I was quickly reminded that that's one of the most irritating things about WP. I'm glad to see the new change.

You didn't read my post then. I said they should categorize it with the UI that's already there, not this bland Android-like garbage. It's also not that hard to figure out the settings list after a day or two.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope the suggestions made here were submitted on MS's preview site, otherwise it is just pointless whining. It amazes me the amount of whining that goes on around here.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with where it is are my video drivers but polish isn't supposed to be here until later builds. This is nothing more than a rant IMHO. This "still messy and inconsistent" thing is waaaaay too early. Its like you walk into a new house construction while the sheet rock is going in and you got beef with no grass on the lawn. I don't even believe that uservoice is a place for this but let them know what they shouldn't sleep on. But now is about giving you a taste of its functionality, ease of use etc. Lawn care comes later.

driver issue.PNG

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
You didn't read my post then. I said they should categorize it with the UI that's already there, not this bland Android-like garbage. It's also not that hard to figure out the settings list after a day or two.

​It's a settings menu, it isn't supposed to be exciting. Who cares if it's bland?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^ I think we're still going through a bit of a culture shock. None of us are used to getting MS software that is this raw. It takes a while to realize that previous experiences with beta software don't apply here. It's also worrying to see how MS is seemingly nowhere close to having a releasable product, but it's also easy to forget that they literally have thousands of people working on W10 right now.

*Thousands + the OP
Valid criticism through the development process is a good thing.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Keyword: Valid. Anything else is a rant.
OP spent two hours creating a mockup with a tangible critique

I consider this a valid form of criticism because he not only stated his concerns but added his suggestions.

Obviously this design is subject to change, however, why would Microsoft share something entirely redundant with the public?

Why even have an 'insider' program if no criticism is to be expected?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
OP spent two hours creating a mockup with a tangible critique

I consider this a valid form of criticism because he not only stated his concerns but added his suggestions.

Obviously this design is subject to change, however, why would Microsoft share something entirely redundant with the public?

Why even have an 'insider' program if no criticism is to be expected?

I appreciate the time he spent doing a mock up but the fact remains, its a mock up of a supposed finished product. Windows X is not finished. What we have is a Technical Preview and his criticism is mad premature.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think all criticism that follows the structure:

"I don't like this because... and it would better if..."

is perfectly fine and a good thing! It's not whining. Paul is being constructive in his criticism. That's infinitely better than many other posts which really are only rants.

I think those complaining about whining should consider their responses are also just adding to the sum of whining in the forums. Anyone crying: "This sucks! How stupid is M$? Give me what I want or I'm moving to Android" deserves a bit of scorn... agreed. This is something else entirely.

I think we should be applauding anybody with this kind of enthusiasm. Nothing bad can come of people like Paul adding to the pool of ideas... whether this is alpha, beta or final software shouldn't matter. Constructive criticism has never hurt, at any stage of the development process.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

is perfectly fine and a good thing! It's not whining. Paul is being constructive in his criticism. That's infinitely better than many other posts which really are only rants.

I think those complaining about whining should consider their responses are also just adding to the sum of whining in the forums. Anyone crying: "This sucks! How stupid is M$? Give me what I want or I'm moving to Android" deserves a bit of scorn... agreed. This is something else entirely.

I think we should be applauding anybody with this kind of enthusiasm. Nothing bad can come of people like Paul adding to the pool of ideas... whether this is alpha, beta or final software shouldn't matter. Constructive criticism has never hurt, at any stage of the development process.

Though I agree, it was not a rant but its too early to criticize UI, when its very clear that its unfinished, I see posts about transparent/translucent tiles which makes sense, but does anybody think that bad indentation or cortana not matching rest of the color scheme will ever make it to the final build, there are a lot of enthusiastic fans out here, they should spend their time if they have on helping MS make features better or bugs squashed, though insider program is to give some feedback but too much of irrelevant feedback is not gng to help MS as they have to do a lot of data mining to get out relevant points(an effort spent uselessly).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

When you put it that way, I concur. I think what bent me into a pretzel was the title.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the time he spent doing a mock up but the fact remains, its a mock up of a supposed finished product. Windows X is not finished. What we have is a Technical Preview and his criticism is mad premature.

No such thing as premature criticism XD
However, developers do get flogged on WC.

WC audience consists mostly of consumers, imo it's to be expected...

Was thinking about developing a couple of exclusives for Windows 10 if the background agent APIs have matured.

Not going to be posting much on WC though haha ;)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
No such thing as premature criticism XD
However, developers do get flogged on WC.

WC audience consists mostly of consumers, imo it's to be expected...

Was thinking about developing a couple of exclusives for Windows 10 if the background agent APIs have matured.

Not going to be posting much on WC though haha ;)

Why? Can't take the heat? LOL. jk.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
These people holding their breath and stomping there feet over a PREVIEW because of the way it looks reminds me of my wife. I could be half finished painting a room and she walks in and starts pointing out the spots I missed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers