Windows 8.1 Laptop Hotspot working but other devices cant connect to it, Unable to obtain IP address

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

I've recently followed this tutorial youtube tutorial with share code "2pvK-6321ig" (full link marks as spam so cant use) to set up a hotspot on my Windows 8.1 Laptop, everything went according to the tutorial and there were no errors. Other devices can easily see the network I just set up but the problem comes with actually trying to connect to it. It doesn't work. I did this so I could have a wifi signal for my Nintendo Switch but upon trying to connect, after a few seconds of trying to connect, it fails with the error "Unable to obtain IP address". I tried to connect on my iphone but it would just constantly try to connect and after a while say "No internet connection" underneath the network name. Anyone have any ideas to help? Thanks.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue on Windows 10 for my Android phone whilst setting up a hotspot too. I had to manually make sure the IP address of the phone matched my network and this was done on the phone itself. That meant that I manually inputted the phone IP address as part of the phone's settings, as well as the subnet mask and DNS. Once my phone was on the same network, an IP address could be obtained and connection was possible.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've recently followed this tutorial youtube tutorial with share code "2pvK-6321ig" (full link marks as spam so cant use) to set up a hotspot on my Windows 8.1 Laptop, everything went according to the tutorial and there were no errors.

Why not just use the insert video option when replying and embed it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs