Windows 8 Phone & Google Apps?

dougiep

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm a current android user, but really considering making a switch to Windows Phone 8. I'm also the tech admin here at my work. We use gmail, drive and calendar for Google Apps (free edition). I know that there are some potential issues that I could run into if I make the switch. Honestly, I've read a lot on this, but I still don't completely understand it yet. I was hoping you guys could help me out!

Question: Can a Windows 8 phone sync Calendar and Gmail for Google Apps(free edition)? Or would I need to upgrade to the business edition in order to make this work? Or is there a workaround I could do as the only Windows 8 Phone user? (Everyone else are iPhone users) I guess I could switch our Google Apps services to another provider (Maybe Zoho, or Office 365), but this would be more work than I would want just to change one person (myself) to a Windows 8 phone.

Thanks for your help!!

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm a current android user, but really considering making a switch to Windows Phone 8. I'm also the tech admin here at my work. We use gmail, drive and calendar for Google Apps (free edition). I know that there are some potential issues that I could run into if I make the switch. Honestly, I've read a lot on this, but I still don't completely understand it yet. I was hoping you guys could help me out!

Question: Can a Windows 8 phone sync Calendar and Gmail for Google Apps(free edition)? Or would I need to upgrade to the business edition in order to make this work? Or is there a workaround I could do as the only Windows 8 Phone user? (Everyone else are iPhone users) I guess I could switch our Google Apps services to another provider (Maybe Zoho, or Office 365), but this would be more work than I would want just to change one person (myself) to a Windows 8 phone.

Thanks for your help!!

I sync fine with both "google app for business" and normal personal google account. Contacts, Calendar and GMail are all fine. Have several google calendars within each account and can specify which to sync. I have lumia 1020 with GBR2 (or whatever that updates is).

There is one little issue with calendar is that recurring calendars (like birthdays) isn't picking up each year (only its initial one). Also the time is sometimes a little off as if its in the wrong timezone (but i've checked hundreds of times and its in the correct timezone)

Apparently, syncing with google service is a bit of a battery drainer but I am sitting on the fence with that one.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help!!

You can but you have to do it fast. google is dropping EAS support at the end of December this year. Customer currently using EAS will be able to keep it. By default, windows phone will not connect to gmail using EAS but you can set it manually as EAS account. Then you can sync mail, contact and calender.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can but you have to do it fast. google is dropping EAS support at the end of December this year. Customer currently using EAS will be able to keep it. By default, windows phone will not connect to gmail using EAS but you can set it manually as EAS account. Then you can sync mail, contact and calender.

This shouldn't be a concern. Microsoft added CarDav and CalDav support with GDR2.

dougiep

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
This shouldn't be a concern. Microsoft added CarDav and CalDav support with GDR2.

Hi Rich-

That's what I've read. So even though Google is dropping support for Google Sync for free Google Apps accounts, it should still work on Windows Phone 8 because Microsoft has updated to CarDav & CalDav. Does that sound right? It seems to be consistent with this:

Google Sync End of Life - Update on July 31, 2013 for Windows Phone users: Windows Phone users can continue to set up new device connections with Google Sync through December 31, 2013. Windows 8 and Windows RT users can access Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Contacts through their browsers.

Google Sync was designed to allow access to Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts via the Microsoft? Exchange ActiveSync? protocol. With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols. Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync, however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education users who are unaffected by this announcement.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rich-

That's what I've read. So even though Google is dropping support for Google Sync for free Google Apps accounts, it should still work on Windows Phone 8 because Microsoft has updated to CarDav & CalDav. Does that sound right? It seems to be consistent with this:

Yeah, I don't remember the details, but WP will continue to support google mail, calendar, and contacts.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss