Windows Insider App: WPB_CXE_R1 vs R2

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I've asked this before in an unrelated thread and never saw an answer. This time I figured I would focus directly on this issue to see if I could find an answer from anybody in here.

Apparently with the Windows Insider App for our Windows Phones has two branches.

? WPB_CXE_R1
? WPB_CXE_R2

You can determine which branch you are a part of by opening the app and checking the "About" section.

Why does it matter?

Well as it was explained to me before, those who are in the R2 Branch can get the GDR2 update regardless of the phone model they are using..... Those who are on the R1 Branch can not.

I bring this up because I keep hearing from people time and time again about how they have gotten their phones like the 930 to update to GDR2..... But I can not.

Guess what branch I am on?

R1.

I know the steps to get GDR2 the normal way and it is not very hard to do. I easily got my wife's 1320 onto GDR2 while preventing W10 from installing.... So I have some level of understanding on what to do and not to do.

She did have W10 installed for a couple of days but it was pretty rough and even the recovery back to 8.1 wasn't very smooth, but I sorted it.

Anyways, my main questions are these:

#1 - What Determines if you are in the R1 or R2 branch for the Windows Insider App?

#2 - Does anybody know how to get the app to download or install or to switch to the R2 Branch?

I looked online several times and found nothing that remotely speaks of this specific part of the Windows Insider App.

Hugs and Kisses..... And Rainbow Lollypops in advance.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can change the Branch from 1 to 2 and also not sure how it is determined to what Branch your phone is assigned. I can confirm that I got Update 2 and my 930 is Branch 2 in "about" on Insider app. I'm curious as well about your questions.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Is it that the R indicates a Region? Or a Ring perhaps?

As I was typing my above post it crossed my mind that perhaps the R1 & R2 has a relation to GD"R1" or GD"R2".

Maybe it determines which one you are permitted?

No idea.

If it was a region thing, I am also not sure as I redownloaded the app when my region was set to the US, as well as where I currently live, Australia.... Thinking maybe it would download the app from another server or something.

It remained the same R1 no matter what I tried.

For the record, I have an Unlocked 930 purchased in Australia.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would've never thought to look into that, I need to pay more attention to the "about" I guess. Mine is Nokia Icon(929) and I'm on R1 (sad face).

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well the good news is that the next W10 build will support the Icon/930 and I assume the 929.

So the GDR2 update should work then.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Guys. This is a big misunderstanding. R1 and R2 only show the GDRs you're currently running. R1 is GDR1 and R2 is GDR2. That's why you see it after updating to GDR2.
Windows Phone Blue, Consumer Experience (forgot exact term but basically maintenance men) Release 2. That's what it stands for.
Edit - confirmed, CXE = Consumer Experience Engineering

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys. This is a big misunderstanding. R1 and R2 only show the GDRs you're currently running. R1 is GDR1 and R2 is GDR2. That's why you see it after updating to GDR2.
Windows Phone Blue, Consumer Experience (forgot exact term but basically maintenance men) Release 2. That's what it stands for.
Edit - confirmed, CXE = Consumer Experience Engineering

That makes perfect sense. I checked mine after I got the update 2, not before.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The relation to GDR1/2 and the R1/2 crossed my mind earlier in the thread.... But there still isn't a clear explanation as to why some were getting the GDR2 update and others such as myself didn't.

Oh well, in a few days the next W10 build will be out and I'll be jumping on that. No big deal for me.

If the next build was going to skip the 930/Icon/929 again, I'd probably still be figuring out how to get R2

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The relation to GDR1/2 and the R1/2 crossed my mind earlier in the thread.... But there still isn't a clear explanation as to why some were getting the GDR2 update and others such as myself didn't.

Oh well, in a few days the next W10 build will be out and I'll be jumping on that. No big deal for me.

If the next build was going to skip the 930/Icon/929 again, I'd probably still be figuring out how to get R2

Anybody figure this out? ATT 1520 here... Tried getting Update 2... Got 10 instead. Sucks!
Whether its relevant or not... I have R1. But yea... Maybe its just "timing" when uninstalling WI or what not. I don't have PFD... Should I?
Also didn't work on my M8. Tho I did get an update installed before 10... But it wasn't GDR2

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Anybody figure this out? ATT 1520 here... Tried getting Update 2... Got 10 instead. Sucks!
Whether its relevant or not... I have R1. But yea... Maybe its just "timing" when uninstalling WI or what not. I don't have PFD... Should I?
Also didn't work on my M8. Tho I did get an update installed before 10... But it wasn't GDR2

Read my earlier answer. R1 is GDR1. I used an unreleased Windows Phone earlier, and it had R2(GDR2) in its settings menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb