Windows Media Center now with fully working guide on Windows 10 :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting find today.... As for DRM protected cablecard channels. So, I removed all codecs, so I was getting a Display error that drivers were not installed in WMC (running WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v5) when trying to play live TV. Something MOST of us have been dealing with.

and I ran a sfc /scannow

After it saying it fixed some files and a reboot. My 1 protected channel is playing back WITHOUT getting a protected content error, the ONLY problem is that It's claiming weak signal and it will play then break up... or go to No signal. It's hardly watchable but, it's a step in the right direction....One time opening it, it said it needed a PlayReady update (that failed) but, by closing WMC and opening it, it played back.

It appears this might of addressed the DRM issue but, there is something else going on why it's losing signal on these channels, the system is a fairly new i7 5820 with 16gb DDR4 OC memory running on a 500gb SSD and the video is a gtx970 OC. It's not system performance. No problems like this on ANY other channel.

This even happened when I installed the Windows 10 DVD player....SO, if you have that only installed, it might be fine with it..

I hope this is a step in the right direction, wondering if this works for anyone else....(again, I was just watching it, and after 1 min it started breaking up and went to no signal, so not really usable).

If you use cablecard, and you have the WIndows 10 DVD player installed, Try to run a SFC /Scannow from an admin control prompt and see if this effects you any bit and reply...

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I used the versions 5 installer Saturday. I followed the workaround included in the zip file and still cannot get any guide data (central United States). The thread at the My Digital Life forums moves so fast that I didn't get any help posting there. Following the workaround, I'm still not sure if the information I added in the host file is in the correct format.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Me either. I can't get the TV setup data to download. And they say that WMC will mot wake up to record in V5 but its fixed in V6.
There is now a version 6 installer on their forums.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Can any put the x64 version on Mega lol.

The link for the x64 contains a rather annoying and persistent pop up, I downloaded it using TOR. Anyone else might not be willing to go through the hassle of downloading and installing Tor.

Annoying popup.PNG

And I did manage to get guide working intermittently (see edit) but hadn't worked since, thought I'd have alook here for progress and it looks like a lot has been made. Sweet, thanks for the updates David :).

Edit: to clarify, I was referring to the build dated 10th Sept (thereabouts).

Last edited:

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I give up. I restored Win 7 as I could never get this workaround to work. First I could not get WMC to download TV setup data with V5 . So I uninstalled it and installed v6 and WMC would not recognize my TV card so I reinstalled the drivers and then WMC tells me that I need to run Digital Cable Advisor as my graphic card is not good enough to run WMC which is strange since it worked for years in Windows 7. I try to install DCA and it says its already installed but it won't run saying it needs to be installed. So after 4 days struggling to get it to work I gave up and restored a Win 7 image. I will try again if the kinks finally get worked out.

Thanks to you all for your help.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this is how I got the WMC to download guide data via virtual DB-S Tuners.
1)Installed PlayReady
Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x64
Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x86

These two steps could be optional for some but I couldn't get it download anything without the PBDAIPSim Test Tool.

2) Installed Dot Net framework 3.5 SP1 (This was requested download by the PBDAIPSim Test Tool) didn't have much luck with latest version for some reason. Dot Net Framework

3) From TeamMedia Portal - I found this from a link someone posted on their forum :).
The software simulates a DVB-IP tuner that supports the new PBDA (protected broadcast driver architecture) API. Apparently it can stream files from your hard disc drive as if they had come from a real DVB-X tuner. Having this software makes it easier to develop and test software that supports DVB-X tuners because you don't have to have a real tuner.

PBDAIPSim Test Tool

4) DVBlinkfor IPTV (download version 2.1 as the last two versions are dead links) note these are trial versions. Once I find freeware software that works I'll update this post.

DVBLink for IPTV. Install the DVBlinkserver.msi first than the DVBlinkforIPTV.msi.

5) Install WMC / Run TV Setup again.

Here I'm stuck, I can customise the virtual tuners, dual oscillation settings (customisable), finds the satellites, full signal, goes every step without a hitch but no image.

If your getting a video failed to decode message, install K-lite's codec pack that remove the error and got sound on some channels but no image.
Download K-Lite Codec Pack 11.40 (Full) - FileHippo.com

I hope this helps :).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay, this is how I got the WMC (latest version posted on this thread) to download guide data via virtual DB-S Tuners.
1)Installed PlayReady
Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x64
Play Ready Runtime 1.3.10 x86

These two steps could be optional for some but I couldn't get it download anything without the PBDAIPSim Test Tool.

2) Installed Dot Net framework 3.5 SP1 (This was requested download by the PBDAIPSim Test Tool) didn't have much luck with latest version for some reason. Dot Net Framework

3) From TeamMedia Portal - I found this from a link someone posted on their forum :).
The software simulates a DVB-IP tuner that supports the new PBDA (protected broadcast driver architecture) API. Apparently it can stream files from your hard disc drive as if they had come from a real DVB-X tuner. Having this software makes it easier to develop and test software that supports DVB-X tuners because you don't have to have a real tuner.

PBDAIPSim Test Tool

4) DVBlinkfor IPTV (download version 2.1 as the last two versions are dead links) note these are trial versions. Once I find freeware software that works I'll update this post.

http://www.sat4fun.co.uk/showthread.php?38174-DVBLink-for-IPTV. Install the DVBlinkserver.msi first than the DVBlinkforIPTV.msi.

5) Install WMC / Run TV Setup again.

Here I'm stuck, I can customise the virtual tuners, dual oscillation settings (customisable), finds the satellites, full signal, goes every step without a hitch but no image.

If your getting a video failed to decode message, install K-lite's codec pack that remove the error and got sound on some channels but no image.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

I hope this helps :).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
OK for people following this thread, we have a lot of people looking into protected channels on Cablecard. So far in v6, guide is working fine. So what I am telling you, if your having a problem, look up WMC guide issues, It could be as simple as adding something to your hosts file, or other things, Thegreenbutton.tv is a great place to look, I would keep under the WIndows 8.1 area because v5 and v6 of the installer is based and ripped from 8.1.

If you have a cablecard with DRM protected channels, you know what I am talking about, they DO NOT work on this Windows 10 install, I have tested DRM on my Windows 10 machine, that is working fine, there is a disconnect between DRM/Playready/WMC that we need to figure out. Also, if you needed to install a 3rd party codec (shark, klite, etc) to get live tv working, You will never be able to get DRM'ed content (TV working in WMC)

There is a protected path that these DRM shows need to follow to play back recorded TV.... we have started some discussion about that here on TGB.... and the main thread on MDL has some tidbits on it here and there...

View topic - WMC on Windows 10: Protected channels go to No-Signal

My end goal here is to get WMC working EXACTLY as it does on WIndows 7 or 8.1 but, on Windows 10... if it's possible...

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried v7 of the installer over the weekend and still cannot get guide data even after making the appropriate edits to the hosts file. I still get an error during the initial TV setup in WMC that says something about the TV configuration data cannot be downloaded. I will at some point start over with a clean Windows 10 install. I'm not sure if that will help, but I feel like the left-over WMC configuration from my Windows 8.1 upgrade might be interfering with the WMC install on Windows 10.

dbalvo

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
First of all, this is amazing stuff. Thanks to everyone involved! Wondering what the status is of extender support with this hack? I pretty much only us MCE via XBox 360 extenders. Does that work in the latest version?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I'm about to move my media center PC from hardware into a virtual machine on a home server. I'm debating between sticking to 8.1 or installing 10 with this hack. Now that it's been out a while, is it pretty stable? I'll just be accessing it via 360 extenders.

dbalvo

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
If you plan to use Hyper-v a word of warning - I've run into significant stutter issues using a Win7 MCE VM on hyper-v. I wouldn't recommend it.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was planning on VMware. Since the videos won't actually be played inside the virtual machine I was figuring I probably wouldn't have performance issues. It just has to stream it to the extenders.

ariez84

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Where is the Windows Media Center installed to? I did the threshold update and now Microsoft reset everything. Tried installing the package again and although it said it was successful, I cant seem to find the program on this computer.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Where is the Windows Media Center installed to? I did the threshold update and now Microsoft reset everything. Tried installing the package again and although it said it was successful, I cant seem to find the program on this computer.

Do a search in Cortana for WMC. Once she finds it, pin it to your start screen.

chexterAz

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
DavidinCT: When I go to the first of your two links (x64) and click on the Download button, I get a malware warning from Webroot antivirus saying "Malicious attack ahead Webroot had blocked access to the website you tried to open. It has been reported to contain malicious content."
What's with that?

The second link (x86) leads to a message saying that "The file you are trying to download no longer exists."

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

rhdins

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I haven't got it to work yet. I don't know if it just won't work, or if there is some Windows 10 setting I need to change.

Has anyone else got it to work with their xbox 360 as an extender?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, everyone that is pursuing and supporting Windows Media Center. Please spread the word about this great and feature rich software. Explain, every chance you get, why it's "family friendly" interface, "whole house media center" features, and cable card DRM (Digital Rights Management) handling, make it better than the so called competing "software". (This is software, not a light weight web app).

I just purchased a new computer (Windows 7) and immediately set up Windows Media Center on it to share the networked libraries of our main Media Center computer and its three Xbox 360 media extenders. We added another room to the "Whole House" solution.

Microsoft needs to be informed about this great product. They need to be told. Some of them think it is only used on single, stand alone computers to watch DVDs. Ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria