Windows Media Center now with fully working guide on Windows 10 :)

MrCyberBritches

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
So, near as I can tell, there's no real solution to the Media Guide not working issue under Windows 10.

My Hauppuage Tuner card came with WinTV7 software which does a good job with live TV but isn't nearly as simple, intuitive and dependable as the WMC guide and recording features. I'm also trying NextPVR and that app crashes half the time. It just hangs when doing a channel switch. It seems the most promising in regard to scheduling recordings, but it relies on a background process applet that for some reason, I can't depend on to stay running.

Nothing more frustrating than scheduling a recording and then discovering that SLAP, DIDDLEY, SQUAT was recorded and that seems to be a highly probable future for me right now.

GOTTA HAVE ME DARN GUIDE WORKING!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello how are you the Link for X86 does not exits can you please re posted again new link for wmc x86 version thanks

No spyware, READ... Download through your browser, Extract it, READ the directions....and read the TROUBLESHOOTING before installing and READ AGAIN. There are minor issues here and there but, 95% of them are in the docs with it.

X64
https://mega.nz/#!7kdR1ICb!1TCdTd_UpqtYqVXyihhA6DwbFz1Yvo7fE8PVD21mrAU

X86
https://mega.nz/#!PwUCQK5K!XLwP6W-RFrYupTVG7Q3oxkW97S6_4cxLDFMeRGBjd80

These are the current versions (v12), Xbox 360 extenders do not work but, if you want to follow some hack (need some mid PC skills to do it), it IS possible to get 360 Extenders working on the Windows 10 version. You might need to modify some system files, I wont link to it at this point due to NooB cases.

TVviewer

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I run Win 7 64bit, and until last year enjoyed scheduling the copying of TV shows using the installed program guide.

Then came the end of the program guide as we knew it.

Can I install into Win 7 the windows media center using the above link and thereby have the program guide working again?

Thank you

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows 7 comes with a fully functioning Windows Media Center, no need to install it from the links in this forum. Just install a clean version of Win 7 or if its not present you may need to go to Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on of off and find WMC and turn it on. Win 7 has the best WMC for Win 7 and its free and included with Windows 7.

I also have Win 7 64X64 and use WMC daily and the program guide is working normally for me.

Last edited:

TVviewer

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
My antenna is only for over the air TV reception (I do not have cable.)

I used WMC successfully in my win 7 to save TV programs until iJuly of 2015 when Microsoft switched the supplier of the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data from zap2it to Rovi.

Thereafter the program guide showed "no data available" for every channel. And I stopped using WMC completely.

My experience that my WMC guide listings were not updating was very common, google for instance the words: windows media center tv guide will not update.

After I saw the above posts I thought that in the last year a way to have the program guide data to update had been found.

I was especially surprised to hear that you had Program Guide had never stopped working.

So just now I opened WMC, went to the Guide section and there was a message " Guide listings will be our to date in fewer in 3 days. Select Download to get the latest Guide listings." Same message as July 2015

I downloaded and got the same result as July 2015, each channel shows "No Data Available"

What is different that you never had this problem, and that I and so many others had it beginning in July 2015, and that my inability to get the Guide to show the schedule continues?

Thank you.

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I think you just gave me a clue as to what might be your problem.
You need to run TV Setup again and when you get to the place to choose your location choose Over the Air and see if this works to fix the problem.
I use cable (Comcast) and the guide is always there. I also use zap2it along with the WMC guide to program it. You can always use program WMC like you would a VCR with time, channel and date, which you will find in WMC Recorded programs and Scheduled and Add Recording.
But I think that if you go through the TV setup again this might work.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: TVviewer,
Did you resolve your problem?
I just set up a new Windows 7 - Windows Media Center installation and it works great.

Last edited:

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been using 3 installs of Windows 7 and Windows Media Center for many years and the Program Guide has never stopped working.

Depends on where you are. Guide data still works nicely on my HTPC in the UK. However, rather than pull guide data via the internet, I believe MCE now pulls it directly from the Freeview signal, like every TV/PVR does. If you're in a country that does not provide guide data over-the-air (like the US), I assume that the guide no longer works.

Also, some of the newer channels in the UK fail to load guide data at all, certainly applies to the new local channels.

I've left my HTPC on Win7 since it still works nicely and I'll probably leave it as it is until Win7 becomes EOL in 2020. The main issue I have with Win10 is that it can't play .wtv recorded TV natively, I've had to download VLC to watch my recordings.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on where you are. Guide data still works nicely on my HTPC in the UK. However, rather than pull guide data via the internet, I believe MCE now pulls it directly from the Freeview signal, like every TV/PVR does. If you're in a country that does not provide guide data over-the-air (like the US), I assume that the guide no longer works.

Also, some of the newer channels in the UK fail to load guide data at all, certainly applies to the new local channels.

I've left my HTPC on Win7 since it still works nicely and I'll probably leave it as it is until Win7 becomes EOL in 2020. The main issue I have with Win10 is that it can't play .wtv recorded TV natively, I've had to download VLC to watch my recordings.

I live in the USA and the guide data has always worked for me and I have been a Windows Media Center HTPC "whole house media center" family for many years. The guide data doesn't feed from over the air. It downloads from the internet.

Yes, Windows 7 is great for Windows Media Center. I just set up my forth WMC installation using Windows 7 since the WMC software is built in.

I haven't experimented with Windows 10 and WMC.
Best Wishes

Last edited:

Jerry3

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the posts. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 and losing my WMC, I downloaded the X64 version and it is fully working with the guide and even picks up Starz and Encore from Comcast just like it used to.
I ran the uninstaller and then installed the packages but seemed to have problems with WMC running at all. Ran the uninstaller again and then renamed the old eHome directory. Ran the installer, went through the TV setup and it worked like a charm. In previous efforts I had already downloaded the Shark007 Codecs and modified my Hosts file. Using SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime cablecard tuners.

polycloud

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I've finally got WMC working on Windows 10 with my HDHomeRun HDHR3-US tuner!

1. Install the specific copy of WMC from the links above from mega.nz
2. Add the IP addresses of the EPG (electronic program guide) file:
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

3. Do a "repair" install of the HDHomeRun software.

4. reboot

5. Voila, it works! Channel guide is there and I have no problem watching and recording TV.

Jerry3

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft released a Windows 10 upgrade on Sept 21. When I tried to run WMC (that has been running fine since July) if failed to connect to my cable card tuners. Tried a few things and ended up rolling back to the previous version of Windows 10. Everything is OK now. I have not yet tried to apply patches one at a time to see if there is an issue. Has anyone else had a problem with the upgrade or did I give up too quickly? ? Thanks

need4greed

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
When I tried to install the v12 package today, I received the following error. Anyone able to help?

I had previously installed WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1 but uninstalled it prior to this installation.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 4

TulsaTV

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
When my PC got the Anniversary Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936) yesterday, I had no more WMC. I had used the method described on this thread. Tried uninstall/reinstall per the instructions but got the "Installing package failed, reverting..." message like you did, though that was the only error (did not get "The specified package is not applicable to this image.")

Also tried to recover to pre-update on another similarly set-up Win 10 PC before any other action, but still didn't have WMC.

Last edited:

need4greed

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I ended up installing an older version (WMC-V8.8.1_x64) and WMC is working. I am able to download program guide, etc.

BTW, I currently only get 4-5 days of program guide. Does anyone know how or if I can increase to 2 weeks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paul89895