Windows Phone 8.1 "Apollo Plus"

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
One simple fix until the WiFi update. Turn off cellular data when you're linked to WiFi. I've been doing that while using Netflix, iheartradio, etc. Only downside is if someone texts you a pic you have to turn cellular data back on to receive it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Wi-Fi "bug" isn't an issue?

For my personal use, I could care less about it. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, so short of insuring the wifi on my phone worked I haven't had it on at all.

That said, yeah, it's an issue. What if you're on a 250mb data plan, are listening to streaming music via wifi, your phone locks, and you wind up using a significant chunk of your data allotment? Yeah, that'd suck. And sure, you can say, "well, maybe the user should be aware of what the phone is doing and not let it lock," but the reality is that's unrealistic. If I'm out in my garage listening to Slacker Radio while I wax my car, I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to insure my phone hasn't locked and disconnected wifi every 2 minutes or so.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
That said, yeah, it's an issue. What if you're on a 250mb data plan, are listening to streaming music via wifi, your phone locks, and you wind up using a significant chunk of your data allotment? Yeah, that'd suck. And sure, you can say, "well, maybe the user should be aware of what the phone is doing and not let it lock," but the reality is that's unrealistic. If I'm out in my garage listening to Slacker Radio while I wax my car, I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to insure my phone hasn't locked and disconnected wifi every 2 minutes or so.

That isn't really how it works though, at least not with the Xbox Music app. The issue is it doesn't change connection type. The blog that came across the issue started streaming immediately after unlocking their phone before WiFi could connect, thus it stayed in cellular. Had they waited for WiFi to connect it would have remained WiFi.

Honestly, I don't think its a bug. It works as intended, they have just decided to change how it works sue to complaints. If it was a bug I imagine it wouldn't have taken over 2 years to fix

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just get the connectivity app and turn your data off while on WiFi and your good until you need to send a picture message then you need data for that for some reason

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Apollo 8.1 Plus? WTF is that name!?!? That article is full of bollocks.

Please stop using Apollo, that was the codename for Windows Phone 8. And the next update being 8.1, there's no reason to have a "Plus". It would make sense if it would be 8.0+.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I do hope they do text reflow in IE10 and the notification center. It will immediately bring me to WP8, as these are the two things I miss using the L900. These will make things a lot easier.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It is likely due to music streaming changing from wifi to LTE when the screen goes off...which I did plenty on my iPhone 4 that would stay connected to wifi networks for streaming...

It shouldn't be. So long as you have an active stream going on wifi, it will (or should) remain connected to wifi even when the screen is off. I stream at least an hour worth of music a day, I am in my third billing week, and am sitting on only 650mb used this month.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It shouldn't be. So long as you have an active stream going on wifi, it will (or should) remain connected to wifi even when the screen is off. I stream at least an hour worth of music a day, I am in my third billing week, and am sitting on only 650mb used this month.
What about if you pause for 30-60 min or so due to a meeting/lunch/etc and then come back and hit play through BT headphones without bringing the screen back on.

I'm not gonna test it during this billing cycle, that's for sure...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Once VPN is added this is definitely an issue. If you are using a VPN/Secure SSL connection and you lose wifi then you have to login again.
Not to mention, any wifi network that uses a captive portal (like how a lot of hotels and public networks make you open a web page to authenticate after connecting) forces you to reauthenticate every time you unlock the screen . If you've ever tried to use a wifi network like that then I don't see how you could possibly think that there is no problem with the way it currently works.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What about if you pause for 30-60 min or so due to a meeting/lunch/etc and then come back and hit play through BT headphones without bringing the screen back on.

I'm not gonna test it during this billing cycle, that's for sure...

I can't comment on this, but I would suspect that it will not reconnect to wifi in this sort of situation. For now, if resuming streaming, I would do a quick unlock and make sure wifi has connected. Supposedly we are getting a "fix" that keeps wifi on at all times, which will be nice.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, all 0.8% of Android devices too. Heck, 50% are still on 2.3.

I never liked this argument. If you want updates, buy a Nexus device. It's that simple. Everyone on these forums is obviously informed enough to make an educated decision. The general populous is not, hence the statistics. But... we are not here to discuss Android.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't comment on this, but I would suspect that it will not reconnect to wifi in this sort of situation. For now, if resuming streaming, I would do a quick unlock and make sure wifi has connected. Supposedly we are getting a "fix" that keeps wifi on at all times, which will be nice.
yeah, that is a hassle and eliminates a lot of the advantage of having AVRCP. If I really need to stream until the fix it, I will use my old iP4 that I moved to my biz line when I got my 920 for my personal line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss