Windows Phone Keyboard Design is a major Issue

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, all except for one niggle..........WP8 KEYBOARD Y U NO CAPITALISE MY 'I' EVER EVER?! I'm fed up with typing an i and having it not capitalised. In fact, in that last sentence (and this one too) i had to go back and force the i to be lowercase because IE10 in W8 autocapitalises it. MICROSOFT, NO! I AM A PERSON WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO USE CORRECT GRAMMAR ON OCCASION. DON'T PUNISH ME

I'd suspect that perhaps you may have (by accident) tapped the add button with a lower case i, and now it has that i in its dictionary. Mine capitalizes the I no problems. Try going into Settings | Keyboard, tap the advanced button, and the reset suggestions button, and see if that fixes your problem.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd suspect that perhaps you may have (by accident) tapped the add button with a lower case i, and now it has that i in its dictionary. Mine capitalizes the I no problems. Try going into Settings | Keyboard, tap the advanced button, and the reset suggestions button, and see if that fixes your problem.
Ah, i did wonder if i was the only one, as I'd expect to have seen more people complaining. I already did a factory reset a week after I got the phone, but i don't see the harm in resetting my suggestions - i haven't got that many.

Slightly related: It's really creepy when you just start using the Wordflow and it just works. And it's really REALLY CREEPY when you start using the Wordflow and it autofills an entire sentence you used in a text message or email recently. 😲

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Slightly related: It's really creepy when you just start using the Wordflow and it just works. And it's really REALLY CREEPY when you start using the Wordflow and it autofills an entire sentence you used in a text message or email recently. 

Hmmm......... This must be a new feature.... I haven't seen this behavior yet. Did you have to do anything special? I'll have to watch for it.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope! Just used the phone as normal. I do have the "send data to MS" option on though.

There are some weird Wordflow suggestions though.

Her husband hanged himself TV shock for the only thing that is not a matter of the only thing that is not a matter

All I did there was type "her". Wordflow did the rest 😲 and no, I've never typed anything like that 😝

matrixcruiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I really like wordflow. Especially when i use the phone one handed. But sometimes i just type crazy fast and not looking at the words. In standard short message i have to correct 1 or 2 words afterwards.
Typing faster than on my qwerty e63 now. Still the accuracy of physical buttons is better.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nope! Just used the phone as normal. I do have the "send data to MS" option on though.

There are some weird Wordflow suggestions though.

Her husband hanged himself TV shock for the only thing that is not a matter of the only thing that is not a matter

All I did there was type "her". Wordflow did the rest  and no, I've never typed anything like that 

Hmmm....... Mine doesn't do that. Do you have to turn anything on? I just tried it in a text.....

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you on WP7 or WP8?

Everything should be on by default - go to Settings -> Keyboard -> tap on the keyboard language -> make sure the relevant options are enabled. There should be one for "suggest text" which i assume is Wordflow. (Which it now automatically capitalises after I used it in that previous post, and didn't add it to dictionary - Damn, it's good!)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The windows phone keyboard is great!, it reminds me of typing on my 7105t, 8100 and 8120 blackberry. It just fixes the word if I mistype, about 90% of the time it is correct.

onggeo

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
One of the majors reasons I jumped ship from Android to WP7 was the nice keyboard. I haven't tried WP8 (WordFlow) yet but I hope it works as well as SwiftKey in Android. That's the only thing I miss in terms of keyboard, the ability to learn and predict what words you are likely to type next. But in terms of letter by letter typing, WP keyboard > the rest!

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I will say one thing...
I just did some typing with both thumbs and it was very good.
I made all kinds of errors, but it fixed most of them.
Normally, I just use my left thumb.
I'm not crazy about the keyboard, that way, but two handed is quite good.
Sent from my Verizon HTC 8X using Board Express

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey is the best by miles, then IOS by a hair over windows phone. Although it might just be the 8x screen being skinny or me getting used to it.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
My fiancee has an Android phone and she loves Swype. When I use her phone, I just tap the letters like I normally would on my Lumia. The results are decent.

I also have an iPod Touch that I use sometimes. Typing is an absolute breeze, and rarely do I make mistakes.

Typing on my Lumia 920 is a mixed bag. In landscape mode, I can type very quickly without mistakes, but in portrait mode I make frequent mistakes. Mistakes that I don't make using the iPod Touch, which is in portrait mode and has a much smaller screen, or using the HTC Evo 4G LTE, which has a similar-sized screen to the 920.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My fiancee has an Android phone and she loves Swype. When I use her phone, I just tap the letters like I normally would on my Lumia. The results are decent.

I also have an iPod Touch that I use sometimes. Typing is an absolute breeze, and rarely do I make mistakes.

Typing on my Lumia 920 is a mixed bag. In landscape mode, I can type very quickly without mistakes, but in portrait mode I make frequent mistakes. Mistakes that I don't make using the iPod Touch, which is in portrait mode and has a much smaller screen, or using the HTC Evo 4G LTE, which has a similar-sized screen to the 920.

It's because you're so used to apples clunky keyboard. I've had PDA's since the first palm pilots so I have used all kinds of on-screen and hardware keyboards. I was disappointed in giving up my hardware keyboard for a nicer looking phone but in the end I learned how to type just as good if not better with onscreen. In fact the best onscreen I have ever used has been windows phone. Never have I made so little typing mistakes once I got used to the new device and if I do make a mistake, it's like the WP knows exactly what word I was trying to type.

I'm not a ******, or wasn't until now, but that iPhone keyboard makes me cringe and I'm so glad to never have to use it again.

Takes a minute to adjust, Phil. when I went from a Samsung focus to the lumia 900, I had to re-wire my brain to the bigger keyboard even tho it's the same exact OS. But after that happens then it's the best typing experience to be had.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone keyboard depends heavily on auto correct, and it does the best out of all the OS out there. Problem is when apps doesn't support auto correct such as searching in Bing. Where iPhone really excels at is in the landscape mode when typing.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm completely opposite. I can't stand typing on the iPhone, more typo's than I care to count, and don't get me started on its auto-correct.

My wife complains all the time about the auto correct changing a correctly spelled word to what the phone wants it to be. Hum, I don't seem to have that problem. ��

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss