Wireless Charging covers for the Nokia Lumia 620

Colonel Rafiki

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
What are the chances of Nokia launching wireless charging covers for the Lumia 620?

I think that having these available would be hugely advantageous. They'd be an optional extra, so the low price of the handset wouldn't have to change, and users who want the added flexibility could pay a little more for a charging cover.

The added benefit, particularly for the Lumia 620, is that the relatively-small battery could easily be kept topped up. Just put the phone down on the wireless charger each night and hey presto, you're likely to never run out of battery. It would also help maintain continuity across the range - households with a 920, 820 or 620 could all charge using the same wireless pads.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Lumia 620 for the wife, but the lack of wireless charging is putting me off. If Nokia releases optional wireless charging covers, I'd definitely buy one.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
This would be very usefull option to have. For example I have Lumia 920 and I have already invested on wireless stand and Fatboy. Now we are looking a phone for my girlfriend and Lumia 620 would be quite perfect for her. Now, if there would be wireless charging cover as an option, she wouldn't need to even invest on wireless charing pads or anything as I have already filled the house with those.

Also planning to buy JBL power up but 299€ price tag still on the high side.

giuseppe di spirito

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will be possible, just because in the center of the cover is located the NFC chip, so i think there isn't physical space to put the wireless charging in the cover

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will be possible, just because in the center of the cover is located the NFC chip, so i think there isn't physical space to put the wireless charging in the cover

Where does it say that NFC is in middle of the cover? Sound a bit strange place for NFC? Below is tear-down of the phone. To me the cover actually looks like there is place already for Wireless coil?

Nokia Lumia 620 goes under the knife, shows us what is underneath

Also here in Nokias website it shows that NFC is somewhere near top of the phone (as it should be).

http://www.nokia.com/my-en/support/...857D-6AEB-41B2-A077-D4517134E5BE_FILE001.html

Colonel Rafiki

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
There was also a Q&A with Anssi Hakkarainen from Nokia's Product Marketing Team a few weeks back, in which this question was posed:

Q: Will aftermarket covers with inductive charging be available/supported?
A: At the moment no plans for wireless charging shell for Nokia Lumia 620.

The signs aren't good, but the term 'at the moment' provides a bit of hope. Still, having made wireless charging an integral feature of the Lumia range, it seems strange not to offer it as an option on the 620.

Source: Your Lumia 620 Questions Answered! : My Nokia Blog

giuseppe di spirito

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I think I can see that the Lumia 620 will have a long life through the future, and Nokia may really consider putting the wireless charging feature into the Lumia 620 as Nokia themselves claimed they want to make wireless charging as a standard feature in the near future across the Lumia family. I didn't remember exactly where I read that from, I think from the Nokia Conversations blog but yeah there is some hope to see the wireless charging technology to end up in this Nokia Lumia 620.

Despite the NFC thingy and all at the back, there may be some space left to acquire the wireless charging coil on the cover of the Lumia 620. If I remember correctly, the Samsung Galaxy S3 was supposed to have a wireless charging feature but didn't make it to the actual unit. My friend whose using the S3 told me the coil is available as an add-on, it's slim and it fits on top of the battery of the S3 despite the phone's thickness and voila, you have a wireless charging feature for the S3. Hopefully this also made it to the Lumia 620.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any news on this? Would sure love to get one.

i dont think the 620 was even designed with that option in mind. to have a easily installable cover it would require easy-access contacts for the charger.

the best chance you guys probably have is through a fancy hack. (a la 521 Qi hack, the multitude of Palm Touchstone mods back in the day, for the Lumia 800, some HTC phones...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz