Woot! Verizon backup device (735) not to shabby at all

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Utilizing a Samsung S5...I know, I know old tech.
Just received my Lumia 735 and updating it now.
First impressions: My goodness, what a nice little phone.
While my Lumia 1520 is VERY long in the tooth, it had me thinking MS still had a chance.
This 735 kicks butt, for under $80 how can one go wrong.
Have a 950 XL DS and it's a nice phone for GSM.
Moved over to PagePlus for great coverage and LITTLE cash.
Used the BOGO promotion.....now have two unused phones.
One of these days.....have a basket full of unused phones.
Yup, one of these days.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Wireless back cover DOA.
Buying a new one while utilizing the Lumia 735 as my main driver.
~ $12, darn. Not that expensive just a PITA.
Is it THE top end phone of my dreams?
No, but it does everything I need of a phone in a great small package.
reminds me of OG moto x.

Note: new back has NFC and Wireless....Will both work?

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I stopped in Microsoft Store today and looked at the 735. I like the size (not a big smart phone fan - even though I'm using an M8 right now) and considering getting one. Just hate to buy old (so to speak) devices. I want to leave Verizon but I still have one family member under contract. idk

Sent from my Surface 3

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I stopped in Microsoft Store today and looked at the 735. I like the size (not a big smart phone fan - even though I'm using an M8 right now) and considering getting one. Just hate to buy old (so to speak) devices. I want to leave Verizon but I still have one family member under contract. idk

Sent from my Surface 3

Microsoft Lumia 735 16GB Verizon PagePlus Windows Phone 8 Smartphone Black | eBay

New phone without the packaging.
Currently utilizing Page Plus [whch uses Verizon Towers].
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/
Good Luck

Last edited:

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
My only issue with the 735 was the overly obtrusive on/off button on the side. Way too easy to hit it by mistake when handling the phone for basic use. Especially with double-tap to wake, there is no reason for such a poorly placed button on the side. Much better to put a small recessed button on the top.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
My only issue with the 735 was the overly obtrusive on/off button on the side.........

Not to shabby at all for the price. Upgrades to the hardware could be done of course.
Would love for it to be water proof, Atom cpu, 4 Gb ram, NVidia graphics ...
It is what it is. IMO it shows W10P very well.

Greg W

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
With the latest insider build has the messaging app gotten any better and/or the "resuming..." message that would regularly display with apps in general? I'd really like to pick up a 735 but still reluctant given the instability of WP10 (though I still love it much more than Android or iOS).

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
... still reluctant given the instability of WP10 (though I still love it much more than Android or iOS).
Ordered the 950XL DS close to the first day available. Had 30 days to return, IIRC, sent it back within a couple of weeks. Initial W10P offering was awful, couldn't take it. Should never have been offered to the public. MS must have known that because it used it's vast pile of cash to fix numerous drop dead gottcha's. Don't know the exact build when it STARTED to be bearable but it was a few months ago.
Now?
I'd match it against just about anything.
Intuitive, fluid and robust come to mind. Lumia 950XL DS is killer hardware, but it won't do CDMA. Darn you RED Baron.
So my limited options landed me on the 735. ($70)
This lowly L735 hardware has jittery moments but is mostly fluid. I credit that to the OS not the hardware.
Android doing security updates now puts it on my radar. Personally I like WP interaction with my pc.
Don't have anything against Android, ha have compiled more than my share of kernels/modules while playing with Linux. Truth be told did close to the same thing with DOS/ basic/fortran/dBase.. hmm...think it was last year /j.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Win10M was definitely not ready for prime-time upon release. In fact, it had lots of problems until very recently. It's getting there, but I don't buy phones for what the platform can become at some time in the future. I'll jump back into W10M when the Surface Phone is released. I will watch eagerly from the sidelines until then.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Win10M was definitely not ready for prime-time upon release. In fact, it had lots of problems until very recently. It's getting there, but I don't buy phones for what the platform can become at some time in the future. I'll jump back into W10M when the Surface Phone is released. I will watch eagerly from the sidelines until then.
Completely understandable.
W10M is fully baked for my usage. With a GSM carrier the 950XL really fly's. MS must have refused to jump through Verizon's hoops for CDMA cert. Nexus or Moto G4 hardware were other options for me. Getting to the point where selecting which tech to buy will depend on compatibility along with everything else. What with these MVNO's having a race to the bottom for cost a persons choice is transient. Being nimble can save quite a bit of cash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion