Would like to do a fresh install on a New Machine (Awesome Machine)

twgolf78

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I purchased a new Surface Book last night (amazing machine !!)

I am super OCD so I would like to do a fresh install. How Do I keep the Windows 10 pro activation key?

I don't want to go through windows settings, I would like to boot from a USB and start fresh formatting the drive.

Can somebody help me?
Do I need surface specific drivers (For pen, base attachment, ....)

I have a copy of Windows 10 Home that I purchased on USB but I would like to use the Pro that came with system.

Thanks!!

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a new Surface Book last night (amazing machine !!)

I am super OCD so I would like to do a fresh install. How Do I keep the Windows 10 pro activation key?

I don't want to go through windows settings, I would like to boot from a USB and start fresh formatting the drive.

Can somebody help me?
Do I need surface specific drivers (For pen, base attachment, ....)

I have a copy of Windows 10 Home that I purchased on USB but I would like to use the Pro that came with system.

Thanks!!
yes you can do this with ease. firstly go to ms official page and download the win 10 pro iso. then*make a bootable usb from that iso.*go to advanced bootup page and run the "clean" command in "diskpart" so as to erase everything.*freshly install windows by the usb you just created. connect to wifi and let the system do the rest. no need to*worry about the license and drivers. the system will automatically make the way.

crazycanucks1977

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just did this. Windows will download and install all teh drivers its needs. Pretty painless. It took more time to actually download and create the stick

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Great feedback. I did not know that doing it this way would keep your license in tact.
try*it out. it is safe. the license is stored in the hardware (bios/uefi?). you don't need to enter the product key even if you erase everything and perform a clean install using an ISO downloaded from Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077