Would Lumia 640 be an upgrade over Lumia 820?

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Seeing that new flagship phones are quite expensive, have mixed reviews and don't have double tap to wake. I started considering renewing my old Lumia 820 with a Lumia 640 to use in the future 1-2 years. I am currently using W10 on my Lumia 820 and opening the phone, opening/using the apps, switching between the apps are sluggish.

What I wonder is how is Lumia 640? Did anybody use both Lumia 820 and Lumia 640? How do they compare? Are you glad that you switched to 640 from 820? Is W10 on Lumia 640 smooth?

Another question: Should I go on extra and get the Lumia 640 XL?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Seeing that new flagship phones are quite expensive, have mixed reviews and don't have double tap to wake. I started considering renewing my old Lumia 820 with a Lumia 640 to use in the future 1-2 years. I am currently using W10 on my Lumia 820 and opening the phone, opening/using the apps, switching between the apps are sluggish.

What I wonder is how is Lumia 640? Did anybody use both Lumia 820 and Lumia 640? How do they compare? Are you glad that you switched to 640 from 820? Is W10 on Lumia 640 smooth?

I can't comment on the experience of WM10 on 640 but the 640 itself is a good phone. You get good features for it's price and it's similar to the 820. The 820 is quite old while the 640 is newer. You can compare the specs and see the difference.

the 640 XL would be at the same price range as the 820 but overall better specs. It is a large phone however

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I moved from 820 (300++€ almost 3 years ago) and wife from 625 (240€ two years ago) to 640 (89€ each).

What I think is better in 640: larger, crisper display; better battery life; live images (when viewed in camera app or creative studio - W10M -> they work in W10 PC too); more pixels on front camera.

What I think was better in 820: camera button; gyroscope; case was less slippery even though both are glossy; oled is brighter when viewed from low angle; sensitive gloves-mode (at least there is no setting for that in 640); speaker placement (flush at the back in 640); back camera lens got less smudge; full Glance.

Where I live, 830 is still somewhat expensive. I haven't dropped 640 yet. 820 took a decent hit to tarmac. Few dents to the shell that I sanded off with nail file ;)

About W10M: I was using it on 820 for a few weeks. When I got 640, I tried to wait for official upgrade, but on second day I gave up and went to insider preview on that too ;)
On my 640 W10M worked mostly OK. Biggest grief was jerky scrolling especially on long lists (stuttering as if my finger was wildly shaking, warp speed, inconsistent decay of scroll speed) while WP8.1 is smooth as well as 820 on W10M. Windows Camera took live images when it wanted to, not when I wanted it to.
For those reasons I reverted back to 8.1 until official upgrade (hopefully with new firmware to fix the touch/scrolling).

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 broke and is beyond repair so I bought a no contract 640 for $60 at the MS store as a quick fix. I'll use this while I decide what to get next. It's a pretty low end phone and is sluggish doing pretty much anything. I don't think you can play any games or apps that require any kind of processing power, it's just too slow. I can't see using this for more than a month or two unless you just want to call/text/browse/email. It's a decent phone for the price, but it's not going to win any prizes for performance.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The 640 is a great device for the price and the phone runs WM10 pretty well. It would definitely be an upgrade from the 820. But let me get this straight, the 820 is no slouch and works pretty well with the newer 10586.36 build with the denim firmware. I had it on my 925 (similar specs as the 820) for a few weeks and it ran pretty well after a hard reset and installing all the updates.

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I was forced to switch from an 820 to a 640 as my 820 was stolen. In terms of multitasking and such, the 640 is better thanks to the quad-core processor. The rear camera isn't quite as good as the 820 though, while the front camera is slightly better. Battery life is also much better on the 640. And you get Rich Captures for the camera, which is good.

Sent from mTalk

martywit

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have both phones, and yes, I'd consider the 640 to be an upgrade over the 820 simply because of being two generations of hardware (x2x vs x4x) newer. The 640 has a bigger screen, is thinner and lighter, has a quad-core processor, and can support a larger SD card for expansion. I love both, but have been using the 640 exclusively since the end of November. Both are currently running Windows 10 Mobile Preview. I find that I'm only powering on the 820 when a new build is out to keep it up-to-date. The 820 is more "solid" feeling; it is heavier, plus with the case fitting more snugly it has a more "premium" feel. The 640 is built "cheaper". The case the AT&T GoPhone comes with creaks when you press on it, but I find that I prefer the squared edges now to the rounded ones of the 820. Battery life is fantastic on the 640, too. Finally, the speaker on the 820 is placed in a better spot, I think. You can hear the phone ring when it's placed on a table much better that on the 640, where the speaker is on the bottom side muting the sound somewhat.

Martin

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
are you kidding? it isnt sluggish at all. Maybe it's just your unit. Literally have never had any kind of problem playing any game on it. It's an amazing phone with outstanding specs that still hold up to this very day.

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
to answer your question, yes, it would be an amazing upgrade that will last years. The screen is bigger and way higher quality, the camer is better, better processor, better battery, etc... Dont listen to jsooney he doesnt know what hes talking about.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Personally l would go for the 640 XL. It's better than both phones.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Yea I think so, I really liked my 820 but the poor battery life really bothered me. I bought the 640 to replace it and I was very happy with the bigger battery, the higher res screen and the 640 takes better photos for me. What I really missed from the 820 was the camera button so I did later pick up a used 830. The 640 i now use to play with windows 10. If that's not important to you then the 640 or XL will be a good upgrade.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
to answer your question, yes, it would be an amazing upgrade that will last years. The screen is bigger and way higher quality, the camer is better, better processor, better battery, etc... Dont listen to jsooney he doesnt know what hes talking about.

It's a matter of expectation and perception I suppose. Coming from a 1520 the 640 seems pretty junky. The camera is woeful too. I guess if you're coming from lesser phone it might seem decent.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a matter of expectation and perception I suppose. Coming from a 1520 the 640 seems pretty junky. The camera is woeful too. I guess if you're coming from lesser phone it might seem decent.

In comparison of specs only between the 1520 and 640, the 640 is the lesser. However, if you are disappointed, that means that you really had expectations that were way above what the majority of people expect. Seriously, for a phone that is at a low end price point compared to what is/was considered a premium flagship with a corresponding price you should have expected and anticipated less. At the price point of the phone and other phones in its range, the performance value is outstanding. In general, I have noticed Android phones with similar specs perform poorly.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
In comparison of specs only between the 1520 and 640, the 640 is the lesser. However, if you are disappointed, that means that you really had expectations that were way above what the majority of people expect. Seriously, for a phone that is at a low end price point compared to what is/was considered a premium flagship with a corresponding price you should have expected and anticipated less. At the price point of the phone and other phones in its range, the performance value is outstanding. In general, I have noticed Android phones with similar specs perform poorly.

I'm not disappointed nor am I complaining, it is exactly what I expected it to be, a cheap, low-end phone. As I said earlier, for $60 no contract it's a good deal and performs ok for the price. For me it's just a stop-gap while I decide what to do next, 950XL or go to the dark side.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not disappointed nor am I complaining, it is exactly what I expected it to be, a cheap, low-end phone. As I said earlier, for $60 no contract it's a good deal and performs ok for the price. For me it's just a stop-gap while I decide what to do next, 950XL or go to the dark side.

Have to admit there's a lot more choices with android devices. I've toyed with the idea of getting an mi4 and installing win mobile 10 on it just just to have something different with flagship specs, but i'm actually happy with my 640 & 1520. In day to day use the 640 runs equally as good as my 1520 and even my 435 for that matter. The only real difference I find between them (aside from build quality) are screen sizes and photo quality. The 640 has a lot of bang for the buck.

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
the phone is amazing. I dont use cameras, and everything else great.
-
the 640 isnt low end at all. It's mid ranged. It isnt cheap, or plasticy, or anything that these retards are saying. The phone is very solid, and out-preforms my iphone 5 by a longshot. Yes, the phone is cheap, but the phone itself isnt cheap at all. The 1520 is 3 years old, and its sluggish as all hell. The 820 would be a complete donwgrade in every aspect compared to the 640.

Last edited by a moderator:

geagle63

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the 640 LTE since they came out. I've never owned the 820. But for the price, you can't beat the 640. I've had no problems with mine. Haven't upgraded to win 10 because I want to wait for the official release. From what I've observed on these forums 10 just isn't ready yet for a daily driver.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
The thing about Windows Phone is you get alot of bang for your buck. I use a Note 5 as my daily driver and I still own my Lumia 640 and it runs better than Android phones costing 3 times as much. Windows 10 is good but like others said it is buggy until the stable version is released.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The 640 isn't an upgrade over the 820 but you really can't go wrong with the price point. The lack of wireless charging, gorgeous AMOLED screen, dedicated camera shutter and capacitive buttons are the main trade offs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eozplxz