Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: would you buy the new Lumia Flagship , even if they had an ( Outdated Hardware ) ?

Yes, but you bought something you know that was launched in 2013 and will be outdated in some ways.
If a new version of the 1020 was to be launched in 3 months with a SD810, would you buy it? Many people won't because of bad reputation of the SoC.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: would you buy the new Lumia Flagship , even if they had an ( Outdated Hardware ) ?

I couldn't care less about the actual hardware. All I care about is what it can do, how well it does that, what it costs and how it looks and feels. It's annoying how other people's fixations on hardware specs interfere with those priorities. For instance, I don't think the vast majority benefit from higher resolution than 1920x1080. But the fact that people want more for the sake of more, means there won't be a high end phone without that and prices will be higher, battery life reduced, etc..

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't care less about the actual hardware. All I care about is what it can do, how well it does that, what it costs and how it looks and feels. It's annoying how other people's fixations on hardware specs interfere with those priorities. For instance, I don't think the vast majority benefit from higher resolution than 1920x1080. But the fact that people want more for the sake of more, means there won't be a high end phone without that and prices will be higher, battery life reduced, etc..

It's the "keeping up with the Joneses" effect. I other words people think that just because Android has it then Windows Phone should have it as well.

Personally I would rather have a phone that is rammed to the seams with features than a marginally faster, more core toting processor.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm interested in one thing alone and that is my phone have the power and speed I need when I need it. If I plan to use Continuum and I expect I will, my phone has to do that really well. And that is MY standards, my patience level and meet my expectations. Mine. Not The Verge, Mashable and certainly not ZDNet. Mine. If the phone performs all of what I need for it to do and do it well, I could care less about this year vs last years vs next years chip-set.

Personally, I think all these spec debates are fun to watch but a bit specious.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site

I'm interested in one thing alone and that is my phone have the power and speed I need when I need it. If I plan to use Continuum and I expect I will, my phone has to do that really well. And that is MY standards, my patience level and meet my expectations. Mine. Not The Verge, Mashable and certainly not ZDNet. Mine. If the phone performs all of what I need for it to do and do it well, I could care less about this year vs last years vs next years chip-set.

Personally, I think all these spec debates are fun to watch but a bit specious.
The specs debate aren't fun because it is about the improvements of the new processors over their predecessors and new processors bring new features that never existed before . Think, how 2k and 4k display came and are going to come & be used, the evolution and usage of 3G and LTE occurred, the increase in battery size and it's efficiency, power usage management, the smoothness and fluidity of smartphones usage,voice activation support( Cortana, Google Now, Siri) l, how the new chips are going to support Continuum, and many more. If you think these are funny, not a result of development of ARM PROCESSORS, then you are right.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but you bought something you know that was launched in 2013 and will be outdated in some ways.
If a new version of the 1020 was to be launched in 3 months with a SD810, would you buy it? Many people won't because of bad reputation of the SoC.

That's really a doubtful statement, considering there's still phones that haven't been released yet that is still taking advantage of the SD810, and one phone comes to mind - OnePlus Two.

If Microsoft can handle the heating issues right (the HTC One M9 got better after a firmware update), then awesome, but if not (Sony Z4), then it'll be heartbreaking and the press will eat it up, and I doubt nobody wants that.

In light of all this though, the phones haven't been officially announced, so lets find out what happens in a couple months, then go from there.

Now, the SD810 vs SD820 has to wait, because the SD820 hasn't made any official benchmarks yet (there is an unofficial one out there, and yes, there's promise, but not enough to really merit anything innovative). Sorry, but at this time and age, it's no longer a specs war, but a feature and look war (which right now, I like the LG G4 over anything else, so much eye candy in that leather back).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The specs debate aren't fun because it is about the improvements of the new processors over their predecessors and new processors bring new features that never existed before . Think, how 2k and 4k display came and are going to come & be used, the evolution and usage of 3G and LTE occurred, the increase in battery size and it's efficiency, power usage management, the smoothness and fluidity of smartphones usage,voice activation support( Cortana, Google Now, Siri) l, how the new chips are going to support Continuum, and many more. If you think these are funny, not a result of development of ARM PROCESSORS, then you are right.
There's a measurable difference between 3G and LTE. The human eye can't tell the difference between a 2k or 4k display. Well it can, when reading a spec sheet that means nothing.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Who says the 820 doesn't have heat issues?

I think the best we can wish for is a custom chip made by their partnership. One that has zero problems and is fast enough. I don't care from what original date the original chip is. Its all about the way you use it in your device. I think MS can do that well. HTC just takes latest chip without any modding and puts it in a flagship as fast as possible. When MS is busy with modding and releasing a modded 808 it is actually new again because it is modified! It is a new chip! It might actually perform better than a 820 without any modding.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Who says the 820 doesn't have heat issues?

I think the best we can wish for is a custom chip made by their partnership. One that has zero problems and is fast enough. I don't care from what original date the original chip is. Its all about the way you use it in your device. I think MS can do that well. HTC just takes latest chip without any modding and puts it in a flagship as fast as possible. When MS is busy with modding and releasing a modded 808 it is actually new again because it is modified! It is a new chip! It might actually perform better than a 820 without any modding.

Snapdragon 820 processor based on rumours is a quad core custom Kyro SOC chip with next generation Adreno GPU. I suppose that it would be nice for Microsoft to leave Snapdragon 810 processor in Lumia 940XL and Snapdragon 615 processor in upcoming Lumia 850 which are only gimmick Octa core processors that have really much heating issues.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Don't get it twisted for the sake of proving a negative. I'm not at all saying evolution doesn't have its place. My point is simply these threads that speak to the masses as if the smart phone community are all computer scientists. They are not. Most are not. The majority is not. People want good features, usable features at a reasonable price point. Period. Do they want faster downloads? Sure. That is made possible with LTE. Longer battery life? Of course. Voice activation like Hey Cortana,(something I happen to be a fan of). Yo google, or whatever you say to an android, absolutely! People want that. 4k screens are gorgeous. But leaving 4k screens to the side, can you get all of what you're talking about right now in exiting Windows Phone hardware, damn Skippy. On top of all the hardware talk is the software that rides above it.

The Lumia 900 did what it did smoothly, efficiently and quickly that comparable android software could not do at the time could not do without stronger and more robust hardware. I discovered this myself at a T-Mobile back in the day. So again, I'm not against new hardware but I do find it in threads such as this one amusing. Because it always begin like an innocent discussion about rumor to what's been announced to what some blogger surmised from some tweet they read to articles to message board hardware heads which culminate in an all out Sir Galahad level swashbuckling sword fight. I've seen it play out over and over again and I am immensely amused by it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Don't get it twisted for the sake of proving a negative. I'm not at all saying evolution doesn't have its place. My point is simply these threads that speak to the masses as if the smart phone community are all computer scientists. They are not. Most are not. The majority is not. People want good features, usable features at a reasonable price point. Period. Do they want faster downloads? Sure. That is made possible with LTE. Longer battery life? Of course. Voice activation like Hey Cortana,(something I happen to be a fan of). Yo google, or whatever you say to an android, absolutely! People want that. 4k screens are gorgeous. But leaving 4k screens to the side, can you get all of what you're talking about right now in exiting Windows Phone hardware, damn Skippy. On top of all the hardware talk is the software that rides above it.

The Lumia 900 did what it did smoothly, efficiently and quickly that comparable android software could not do at the time could not do without stronger and more robust hardware. I discovered this myself at a T-Mobile back in the day. So again, I'm not against new hardware but I do find it in threads such as this one amusing. Because it always begin like an innocent discussion about rumor to what's been announced to what some blogger surmised from some tweet they read to articles to message board hardware heads which culminate in an all out Sir Galahad level swashbuckling sword fight. I've seen it play out over and over again and I am immensely amused by it.
About as much fun as watching a one-legged man in a booty-kicking contest.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have said this before, and I will say it again, stop spec shopping. Specs are not everything. Its about user experience. If the User Experience is awesome, who the flipping fudge cares whats under the hood! I am anxiously waiting in line now for 2 950 xl phones. They will complement our 2 128gb surface 3s perfectly.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The spec thing is not as scary as the Lack of apps thing! just to put that out there. I hope MS gets the dev's on board with their new programming.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Tomorrow's flagship will be yesterday's news the minute you buy it. If you absolutely must have the latest and greatest, I hope your last name is Rockefeller so you can afford to buy a new phone every 3-4 months. Buy what suits you now and stop worrying about the future, you might get hit by a bus this afternoon.
Thank you!!!

Average Joe Schmo doesn't know one processor from the other. Specs only matter if you are looking for them.
If I was to tell my grandparents( iPhone users) and my wife (Note4) that they had the exact same processor in them, but simply ran different OSes, they would believe me. They don't know the difference. They do know they prefer their respective OSes and the FEATURES of the phone.
I actually had to talk my wife OUT of a M8 to the Note... Because it had a pen.

Now if i could just get them to try WP...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Windows Phone since 2009, I don't think people who buys Windows Phone cares about spec that much.

Same here, specs are only good to look at on paper and WP clearly shows that if the software is properly optimised for the hardware, then you don't NEED the latest and greatest hardware to run it.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here, specs are only good to look at on paper and WP clearly shows that if the software is properly optimised for the hardware, then you don't NEED the latest and greatest hardware to run it.

Apple proves the same thing. If the hardware is optimized then it does not matter if its the fastest processor or whatever. That only matters with android where the OS is so power hungry you need mental processors and umpteen gigs of ram to make it smooth.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a note 5 killer, where the benchmark of the CPU & GPU has to be similar to that of note 5 and Camera BETTER. If MS opt for SD 808, then SCREW!!!! MS and Qualcomm too, who is unable to fix the heating issue with SD 810 and 820, because of which MS had to opt for a low end hardware.

I know that WP phones are not power hog like Android and a WP doesn't need such a high hardware configuration as Android. But when we go for a flagship device, specs does matter, we all are specs hungry. For a camera to perform better, we always need a better CPU.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
No, for the camera to perform better it needs to be optimized with software. CPU is only part of the overall equation. Ram speed is another part of the equation and the biggest piece is software related.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You need a better processor for fast processing of high quality images at more than 20MP. A fast processor is also good for burst mode.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786