Wow, that was awesome Cortana.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.

Hmmm, all I have is a travel option. It doesn't show anything for traffic?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just today I was about to leave my office at around 6pm, I got a nice little notification on my phone which surprised me. It was Cortana, she was telling me that if I leave now for home then I can reach home by 6:50 in this traffic. She also pointed out the fastest route. That was simply amazing. I guess she was running in background all those days, learning my routine and just today decided to pop out of nowhere to surprise me. What more is in store for us? Share your cool and surprising experiences with Cortana here.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Cortana
You know what you got there don't cha? You got yourself a truly "smart" phone. When it happened to me, it was so unexpected and so personal, all I could do was look at my Lumia 920 and smile. I said, now this is a smart phone.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, this is actually a little bit better of an implementation than Google's. Why? Because this will actually pop up and notify you, whereas on Android, it shows up as a card that you have to get to or swipe down from the notification shade.

I like Microsoft's version better.

No, actually. For a few things, Google Now fires a notification too. Time to leave for work/home is one of them.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Note that if you add locations to calendar appointments she'll remind you when you have to leave for those too, giving traffic...

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
What Cortana needs to be is like Siri and Google Now except good. Siri has Wolfram Alpha, but otherwise is not very good. Google Now is fast, has good voice recognition, and has some good features (where my car is parked, stores in malls, etc.), but has a lot of annoying features like delivering news stories to me when I've already searched for them and creepy stuff like tracking my flight from an email in my inbox. If Microsoft can continue to expand the third party app support and add in a reliable and visually appealing way to get information (Google has cards and then searches, MS should make the information show up in a box like Siri and show the previous stuff in the "conversation" and make searches a swipe away) and add in a Touchless Control style feature for supported devices, Cortana will become the voice assistant/voice... thing of choice for a lot of people.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What Cortana needs to be is like Siri and Google Now except good. Siri has Wolfram Alpha, but otherwise is not very good. Google Now is fast, has good voice recognition, and has some good features (where my car is parked, stores in malls, etc.), but has a lot of annoying features like delivering news stories to me when I've already searched for them and creepy stuff like tracking my flight from an email in my inbox. If Microsoft can continue to expand the third party app support and add in a reliable and visually appealing way to get information (Google has cards and then searches, MS should make the information show up in a box like Siri and show the previous stuff in the "conversation" and make searches a swipe away) and add in a Touchless Control style feature for supported devices, Cortana will become the voice assistant/voice... thing of choice for a lot of people.
Cortana does all the creepy stuff too. I fail to see how that's a bad thing?

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Another awesome thing happened. I got a mail on my work email from a colleague about rescheduling a meeting and Cortana highlighted that part in blue. When I tapped it, Cortana asked me whether I want this to be saved in calendar or not. Truly smart phone. I was about to defect to the darker side aka android as I was looking for some new phone to upgrade but last few weeks with Cortana have convinced me. I'm eying 1520 now, 😊

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Cortana

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
THis was awesome!!!! I just asked her "Latest Spurs game" and she replied "Currently the Spurs are creaming the Trailblazer by 116-92" This was with 10 seconds left.. After the game I asked her again and her reply was "On Tuesday the Spurs crushed the Trailblazers by...." :grin:

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
THis was awesome!!!! I just asked her "Latest Spurs game" and she replied "Currently the Spurs are creaming the Trailblazer by 116-92" This was with 10 seconds left.. After the game I asked her again and her reply was "On Tuesday the Spurs crushed the Trailblazers by...." :grin:

I don't follow sports but I did test this out now and that is way cool :)

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I hope Cortana is ready for the World Cup! I'm looking forward to that!

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.

ouch. i never knew i could do that. But for some reason, I Cortana can't seem to get me traffic information. Maybe traffic monitoring isn't available in Vietnam yet.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_vietnam_203 using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody been able to ask her what the traffic is like?

Edit: never mind I think they fixed it since last time I tried! Sweet

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone began doing this within a week of using Cortana. I arrive at work at different times on a few days a week and it has already learned that as well. It recognized my home and work within days of using it. It really is amazing how much content that it is absorbing and giving back to me in meaningful ways. And just think; this is just the beta!

Susmit257

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
last month i set up a location based reminder, today when i went at that place, my cellular data was off, but still cortana notified me about that reminder.. That was really impressive from Cortana... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb