WP OneDrive App individual uploads / downloads not working on 3G

dezzendyne

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 930, WP 8.1, Problem with the OneDrive app (v4.9, problem was the same with previous versions):
I cannot manually upload individual files from the phone to OneDrive via mobile data connection (such as 3G), and the same is true for "manual downloads" of individually selected files from OneDrive to the phone. These files show as "pending" in the OneDrive app, and upload/download will never start (for downloads, the downloaded file appears on the phone, but its size remains 0 bytes).
I do not have set any limits for the mobile data connection in "Data Sense".

When playing around and trying to come up with a solution I found the following:
  • Individual uploads and downloads work when connected to a WiFi network.
  • Automatic backup of "good quality" photos to OneDrive over 3G works flawlessly.
  • For downloading photos via 3G connection, the workaround of opening OneDrive photos in the Photos app and downloading the pictures from there works.
  • For uploading photos via 3G, the workaround of uploading them within Rooms (Family Room) works.

Despite the availability of workarounds, at least for pictures, I find it annoying that I cannot do "regular" uploads and downloads of individual files with the OneDrive app over a mobile data connection.

I have not found this problem mentioned anywhere, and would appreciate any help. Am I doing something wrong? Have you encountered the same problem. Do you know a solution for it? Or is this even the intended behavior of the OneDrive app?

dezzendyne

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Best quality photo uploads require WiFi.

Thanks, Laura. I am aware that automatic uploads of best quality photos require WiFi.

The problem I was referring to is that I cannot individually (rather than automatically) upload any kind of file to OneDrive when on mobile data connection - I have to wait until I have the opportunity to connect to a WiFi network. Except for pictures and videos when using Family Room - Family Room uploads to OneDrive also work on mobile data connection.

A recent use case example: I am traveling on a train, have perfect 3G connection. I have a picture on my phone, which I want to urgently send to someone using a text message. I.e., I want to send a OneDrive-link to that picture in a text message. I cannot upload that picture in any regular way, such as by selecting the picture in the Photos hub, and sharing it to OneDrive, because the upload will be stuck ("pending") forever. Only the workaround of entering Family Room, and adding the picture there, will allow me to get the picture onto OneDrive using the 3G connection.

That's what I find annoying. And that's what makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong, if this is the regular way the OneDrive app on WP works (or an issue that only I face), and if there is some solution to it.

mecomixie

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I am also having the same problem. On 3g I was not able to upload or download anything in my OneDrive app on my Lumia 640 xl. I thought I was doing something wrong. Auto upload was working. After I saw ur post I tried with Wi-Fi and it worked.I don't whether others are having this problem or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb