WP8.1 Tips & Tricks

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: WP8.1: Tips and Tricks

In the WP8.1 preview videos, I remember seeing an option for 'Vibrate when ringing'. Now after I've updated my 920 to 8.1, there is no option to do this in the sound+ringtone settings.
Have MS removed this feature.

From the expanded volume menu you can toggle vibrate. I don't know if this only affects ring or also apps that use the vibrate functionality.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

In store you have that grey search bar at bottom of the screen. You can swipe it up from the left side of the bar ;) and close it by swiping any where in the bar downwards.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

Primal Oscar

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Hey not sure if anyone else has run across this but when hard resetting I came across a few apps that said they were no longer available on the OS.
The way I got around this was to go to windowsphone.com and download the app to my phone from there. App examples include most of the HERE apps

Boolanger.

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

If you got Cortana and someone send you something like a meeting invite or to go for coffee at x time at x place. You'll likely see a dotted line(sms) or hyper link(emails) under part of the message(likely the time) that when selected will take you to a calendar event that Cortana filled out as much as possible.

Last edited:

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Hey not sure if anyone else has run across this but when hard resetting I came across a few apps that said they were no longer available on the OS.
The way I got around this was to go to windowsphone.com and download the app to my phone from there. App examples include most of the HERE apps

I got the same after a hard reset. I pushed downloaded all the other apps through windowsphone.com but had to download the HERE apps via app store on the device.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Tip: You can change the action center buttons to open functions that otherwise you had to go into settings to do; like internet sharing.

Settings > notifications + actions > Choose your quick actions.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140415_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140415_0002.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 68
  • wp_ss_20140415_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140415_0003.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 61

HyperChrisX

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Protip: Tap the bell or music note icons in the expanded volume to instantly mute/unmute like the old Ring/Vibrate button on WP 8.0

mustiman

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I always wanted the "Nokia Blue" colour for tiles.
Now I can, thanks to transparent icons trick. I made a small PNG with colour hex code #004C9A, made it the "Start background" in start+theme. For those interested, this is the colour I am talking about. (It looks better on the phone)

nokiablue.png

lpforthewin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

If you highlight a word and tap the shift key it will cycle between uppercase, lowercase and camel case.
Not a WP8.1 feature but especially useful with the shape typing - you can tap on the number/punctuation key and slide to your desired punctuation and when you release it goes back to letters.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

An absolutely awesome thing I just discovered. Sometimes, whether using the swipe keyboard or not, what you’re writing might not be properly capitalized. (I discovered it while talking about the show “Justified” which it put into lowercase). Now in 8.1, if you tap on the word as if you were trying to correct it, and then tap the shift key, it’ll cycle through lowercase, first letter capital, all capital.

Edit: Oops, saw that it was posted above by the time I got it posted on this site.

Last edited:

jawss

May 17, 2013
Visit site

press the volume button and expand the thingie that comes up, you can set your ringer volume and toggle vibrate on and off using the text block that says vibrate on/off
tip2.png

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

To get the ability to upload a selection of photos to OneDrive from the Photos Hub , create a OneDrive Room in the People hub. Then, you can share to the OneDrive Room. You can move the photos wherever you want afterwards using the OneDrive app.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok so wow, so now you can send your songs via Email. In the now playing section of Xbox music bring of the menu, and hit share. It'll send song info and a full .wma of the song you're listening to.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

One of the Reasons for the Battery Drain is due to you can now see and stop the billions of Applications " Allowed" to run

Go to > Battery Saver > " Usage " ( you can view all installed apps) Here you will see an amazing number of apps " Allowed" to run in the background
I advise going down the list to each app to ensure you cut off the number of apps you don't want to run Click " OFF" the ' Allow " Button.. This should make a hug difference in Battery drain

NOTE : Cortana uses apps such as, Weather* LOCATION *NEWS .. other apps that I normally would not have running.

The 1520 is good on battery life so I don't mind the trade off .

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I was disappointed to find that Local Scout disappeared along with Bing when using the search button. I did find that Here Explorer beta covers it pretty well. I was surprised to find Local Scout again hiding in the Bing Maps. I was fortunate to have the app that will still pull up Bing Maps on my Nokia. Its nice to know I can still access Local Scout even though I have to take an extra step to get there.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Cool, At least I wasn't the only one. Now to work out a way to figure out how to slow down the battery drainage. Since updating to 8.1 my phone's battery life has been killed.
there is thos "Battery Saver" among the apps... get in there and turn off and on the apps according to your likings

OberstDanjeje

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I was disappointed to find that Local Scout disappeared along with Bing when using the search button. I did find that Here Explorer beta covers it pretty well. I was surprised to find Local Scout again hiding in the Bing Maps. I was fortunate to have the app that will still pull up Bing Maps on my Nokia. Its nice to know I can still access Local Scout even though I have to take an extra step to get there.

You don't need an app for that, the Maps app is in every WP now

SRoshan143

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Can any one tell me how to change the profile picture for Facebook or outlook from the ME tile in the WP update 8.1?
I could do so in WP 8, but can't do the same in WP 8.1.

Tap on your profile pic in the me tile (same as you did in WP8), but then there comes various options in my case Hotmail, FB and Twitter and then the fourth one in "find another", tap on that find another and then you can select your own pic. Hope this helps you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro