Xbox one...No 1080i support ? Really ?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Just pointing out an incongruence in your point of view. You look down on others for not noticing stretching and quality, others can look down on you for not noticing the butchering effects of interlacing. Really what it boils down to is- ignorance is bliss. The more we as nerds/geeks learn, the more money and tweaking it takes for us to enjoy something. Meanwhile people watching SD football are just enjoying the game; they don't watch tv like we do- they watch what's *on* the tv. I envy people like that. As an audiophile I can hardly listen to music without lugging around my gear.

I mean, people back in the day, listening to sports via radio... I bet the guy who bought a new shiny radio looked down on everyone else because their radios had slightly more static than his. In 10 years the difference between SD and "HD" video will be as petty as the difference between an old radio that has a slightly clearer signal than an older radio.

This is exactly what it comes to. I'm a geek at its finest, audiophile, computer tech, network tech, help create music videos and short films for artist in my area, and go to 1 or 2 MLG events per year. I envy the people who do these things for fun, every song that I listen to I try and find flaws or admire how well it was put together. Every show I watch on any TV, I look for the visual and audio quality, every songs I breakdown to see if it was mix/mastered and crafted correctly, every time I browse the interwebs at a business and friends house I speed test, and every game I play I find its flaws for competitive play.

It honestly sucks, I do enjoy the Game, and the Show and the Songs, but it's not the same as when I was in my early teens and everything just seemed amazing. Seems like my senses back then was heightened just to enjoy what I now breakdown. Its sucks, a lot. I wish I can just enjoy as the average user does, but my inner geek only wants THE BEST.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I would not count on it. Sure if you want DVD quality or low bandwith 1080p sure. When you rip a blu-ray it's around 29gb, No one has the bandwith to stream a movie like that.

Oh, believe me they do. I've dealt with the call even. An LTE connection will *definitely* stream that fast, so fast they'll use their 30 gig cellular plan (and more!) on that 2 hour movie. I've had people working here claim to hit 70Mbps, and even working in a crowded call center I easily hit 30.

The technology is there. Verizon's spent crazy money beefing up landline and roaming providers alike all over the US for all this LTE business, and a lot of the landline providers are getting faster as a result. The cable and DSL companies are getting faster, and it *is* noticable. Now all we need is for the prices to come down because with super fast connections come media providers that want to take them up. Whether this is all a good thing or a bad thing, I'll leave that to you!

It's coming. Blu-ray is and always has been a last ditch effort to prevent it. I repeat, it's coming.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want a upscaler, as that would take 480p and bost it up to 1080i, what I want to do, is convert 1080p to 1080i... So, down scaling is what I needed here

Found this...

Atlona? AV Distribution Solutions for Commercial and Residential Applications

Picked it up a used one for almost nothing, as these things go for close to $400. I guess we'll see how well it works when it gets here. My only wonder if it adds lag, if that is the case, I might get it to work but, wont be able to use it because of the lag...

To answer the question, it's a older RPG, 9" guns... 65". It works great and has an awsome picture but, it sucks that I need to have something like this just to use a console...

Know what would really suck ? If Microsoft a week from now enables 1080i mode after buying this device...but, it's my luck so I am sure it will happen...

If anyone has run into the same boat as me, I just wanted to follow up after FINALLY getting a chance to play with this (I was away for the Holiday).

So in my setup Xbox one >Scaler to take 1080p down to 1080i> to HDFURY3 (takes HDMI with HDCP and converts to component video)> TV

This works flawlessly, No lag that I have noticed. I am able to run my Xbox one at 1080i with no problem. I have tested Forza and COD ghosts multiplayer with no problems.

The ONLY flaw this this method is, the costs, if you were to get BOTH of these devices new at full price, it would cost you around $650, you might as well buy a new TV...(trust me, I am no where near that price out of pocket)

It does work and work great, another band-aid till spring time when I can jump for a 4K tv...

analogeyes

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
For what it worth, i have a pioneer PDP 503 HDE plasma it's a 55inch plasma that is 11 years old, the max supported HDTV resolution is 1080i, i bought a 3Dfury a couple of years ago to add 3D to this TV (btw, the 3D effect with Monster Vision glasses is terrific!), now that i have a Xbox One and no 1080i output to feed my old Plasma (old but still better than any sub 2K$ today TV), i went to the hdfury website and flashed my 3Dfury with their scaler firmware. I'm now able to send 480p/720p/1080p out from the Xbox one and get 1080i out from the HDfury and it display perfectly well on screen! However, it's an expensive solution but my display really worth it, so if you have a high quality display, you might consider this.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For what it worth, i have a pioneer PDP 503 HDE plasma it's a 55inch plasma that is 11 years old, the max supported HDTV resolution is 1080i, i bought a 3Dfury a couple of years ago to add 3D to this TV (btw, the 3D effect with Monster Vision glasses is terrific!), now that i have a Xbox One and no 1080i output to feed my old Plasma (old but still better than any sub 2K$ today TV), i went to the hdfury website and flashed my 3Dfury with their scaler firmware. I'm now able to send 480p/720p/1080p out from the Xbox one and get 1080i out from the HDfury and it display perfectly well on screen! However, it's an expensive solution but my display really worth it, so if you have a high quality display, you might consider this.

Yea, I did read that, the HDfury4 or 3Dfury (same thing) will do both of them (HDMI to component with HDCP AND scaler), the problem is, New this device is $400, and IF YOU ARE LUCKY, you might find one used on ebay(ebay shuts these things down, so if you find one buy it) for around $200-300.

Yep, not a cheap thing that Microsoft should of included in the box (1080i support)

At least it DOES work in both ways and I have not noticed ANY LAG at all so far. So, if you are in the need, this is one of the options you can go (but, if your on a sub 50" tv, it might be beter with all the deals now just to replace it with a mid line model). You can get a 50" 4K tv now for $450-550 or so on Amazon...

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I did read that, the HDfury4 or 3Dfury (same thing) will do both of them (HDMI to component with HDCP AND scaler), the problem is, New this device is $400, and IF YOU ARE LUCKY, you might find one used on ebay(ebay shuts these things down, so if you find one buy it) for around $200-300.

Yep, not a cheap thing that Microsoft should of included in the box (1080i support)

At least it DOES work in both ways and I have not noticed ANY LAG at all so far. So, if you are in the need, this is one of the options you can go (but, if your on a sub 50" tv, it might be beter with all the deals now just to replace it with a mid line model). You can get a 50" 4K tv now for $450-550 or so on Amazon...

And I thought the 4K TV I saw at Costco for $1500 was a deal.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Then why are you waiting until next year to get one, brand preference?

The TV I have is a 65", I dont want to go smaller and it's not in the budget right now to spend $1500+ on a TV right now. Personally, I want the Panasonic 65" 4K tv, it's really out there in price right now. Spring time is when I can start really looking AND there will be more models are a lower price.

The $500ish 50" 4K tv got a fair review but, it's from a company I never heard about before.

Amazon.com: Seiki Digital SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD 120Hz LED HDTV: Electronics

The price went up it was $550 earler today but, Still it's a Seiki brand. If I was geting one, I am going to hold on to it for a while so, I am going to hold out to get the one I really want.

If you want one of these TVs, keep an eye on the deal sites, as even Sears had it for $579.99 at one point...I think Wallyworld carries it too...

Free Webapps

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
In gaming, 720p would be vastly better to 1080i as interlaced is going to introduce a lot of blur to fast paced scenes. Most likely why MS didn't bother supporting it.

I'd suggest just setting your Xbox to 720p and enjoy until you get a newer TV.

Edit: Oh, sorry. Just saw your TV doesn't support 720p either. Weird.

TV's the only support 480i/p and 1080i were tvs that were out pre-hdmi and had component, s-video and composite connections. If I'm not mistaken, 720p was introduced around the time HDMI came about. Around that time of 1080i tvs, Mistubishi was at the top if not the leader in HD Tube projected tvs. The TVs that supported 720p were DLP and might have had HDMI. When Plasma and LCD TVs came into play, component connections were being replaced by hdmi and then tvs started losing all the use full features like PIP and what not.

I speak from 1st hand experience. Parents had 60in Mitsu in 97/98 (just coax, composite and s-video), I got 60in 480i/p 1080i Mitsu in 00/01 (component, composite, coax & s-video), bro-in-law got 65in 720p/1080i Mitsu in 04/05 (component, composite, coax & s-video), brother go 65in 480i/p 720p 1080i/p Mitsu DLP in 08/09 (coax, hdmi and composite), parents got 72in 1080p Mitsu in 2010/2011(coax, hdmi and composite).

Free Webapps

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
That sucks, but 1080i is literally the worst thing to can play games on. I would imaging Forza is not even playable in 1080i.

How do you figure that. A high quality display at 1080i is perfect for Forza4 on xbox 360... My current tv is ancient by some peoples means but pushed excellent quality through my component cables without any quality hick-ups. I then got a HDFury3 box to utilize the hdmi quality from my xbox 360 and it did improve the sharpness a bit more and still no video issues. All this on a 1080i HD tubed projection Mitsu TV. Sure 1080p is better but 1080i on the right tv & setup can be just as perfect.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How do you figure that. A high quality display at 1080i is perfect for Forza4 on xbox 360... My current tv is ancient by some peoples means but pushed excellent quality through my component cables without any quality hick-ups. I then got a HDFury3 box to utilize the hdmi quality from my xbox 360 and it did improve the sharpness a bit more and still no video issues. All this on a 1080i HD tubed projection Mitsu TV. Sure 1080p is better but 1080i on the right tv & setup can be just as perfect.

Agreed. When I was wired using componet HD, I was geting ghosting on my TV, even with a $500 component switch. After I tried a HDfury3, I was blown away by the image quality difference that the HDfury3 made (Going digital directly to the HDfury3 into the TV removed the ghosting and added a ton of detail on it). I upgraded EVERYTHING to HDMI and ripped out every component cable. It has made a world of difference in the picture. A night and day difference.

Sure, 1080i is not as nice as 1080p but, it depends on the TV set. Even LCDs can not do a real black (they get close but due to the backlit design, they cant, and RPG sets can.). A older RPG set might not compete with the brightness of a new tv but, in overall picture detail, if it's a nice set and tweaked, it could look even better at 1080i.

I get comments all the time on my TV, yep it's 1080i but tweaked really well and people with their brand new tvs (1080p, Sony's and Panasonics) dont look as good as my set.

Playing Forza 5 or Ryse looks awsome on my old tv, no question, it's worth holding on to for just a little longer...till the TV I really want is in my price range :)

jeremy3721

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with the fact that Xbox One doesn't support 1080i. I too have a 65 inch Mitsubishi RPTV that looks fantastic. At first I thought my biggest issue was finding a HDMI to Component adapter and I finally shelled out $179 for an HDFury2. It's expensive but works great with the Playstation 4 which I'd intended to return in favor of the Xbox, however now that I've discovered Xbox doesn't support 1080i for whatever reason I may have to stick with PS4. I can't afford to shell out the money for a new console, games AND a new 65 inch TV on top of it all. My Mits is a perfectly capable set except for situations like this.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with the fact that Xbox One doesn't support 1080i. I too have a 65 inch Mitsubishi RPTV that looks fantastic. At first I thought my biggest issue was finding a HDMI to Component adapter and I finally shelled out $179 for an HDFury2. It's expensive but works great with the Playstation 4 which I'd intended to return in favor of the Xbox, however now that I've discovered Xbox doesn't support 1080i for whatever reason I may have to stick with PS4. I can't afford to shell out the money for a new console, games AND a new 65 inch TV on top of it all. My Mits is a perfectly capable set except for situations like this.

If you got it from HDfury.com...Return it and get the HDfury4... That has a built in scaler. So you would get to not deal with HDCP, and it will convert 1080p down to 1080i... You can send 1080p to your tv and it will automaticly convert it to 1080i with no lag...pretty awsome..

I did the HDfury3 with a extra scaler to get it to work on my TV.... but, I would of prefered to grab a HDfury4...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)