Xbox One Question

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If you have two xboxs and one game... The account that bought the game has to be signed into xbox live on the console that is not his "home xbox". Then someone else can be signed into the xbox that has his account set as the "home xbox".

My buddy and I do this to share games. He has his xbox set as my home xbox, and i have my xbox set as his home xbox. I can play his games, and he can play mine with no issues as long as we are both connected to the internet. The only catch is if the console is not online (or XBL is broken), you can only play the other persons owned games. Who wants to game with a console that's offline anyway right?

Note: this obviously only works with digital games.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just to chime in as I have 3 xbox360s and 2 Xbox Ones in my house used by me, my two boys, and my wife (though she only uses the 360 as a Media Center Extender and Netflix/Xfinity vod box):

Every digital download game on the Xbox One comes with two licenses. One is tied to the purchaser's Xbox account; the other is tied to the 'home' console. The purchaser can play the game on any Xbox One using the individual license and any other person can play the game on the home console regardless of whether or not the purchaser is signed in to the home console. So yes, it's possible to have two people playing the same game (from one purchase) on two different consoles at the same time, and together online in the same party. As an aside, I'm guessing that the 'family sharing' that was originally in the plan would have been an extension of this, something along the lines of being able to loan out the home console license to another console.

(This license sharing is also possible on the 360, except it doesn't have the concept of a home console; one license is tied to the purchaser's account, the other is tied to the console that the game was initially purchased from.)

I haven't tried this yet, since we each need Xbox Live Gold accounts for the 360s, but on the Xbox One, I believe that Gold sharing should work similarly to game sharing in that if one person has Gold and a home console, anyone else should be able to play online from that console, and the person with Gold should be able to play online on any other console.

One last thing, if you have multiple Xbox Ones with Kinect sign-on set up on at least one of them, there's a setting on that forces the Xbox to ask for confirmation before signing you into the console if your account is already signed in on another console. I can't remember exactly where it's located right now, but it was mentioned in an Xbox 101 segment on Major Nelson's podcast within the last couple of months. As I remember it's buried in the sign on settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen