09-17-2012 10:41 PM
170 ... 4567
tools
    Another amazing example. Seriously, why the heck didn't they just use what they have for the commercial?

I'm almost back on board the hype train.
    This is precisely the type of example I saw on Wednesday in NYC, and you're right-- it should be shown everywhere. It's quite remarkable when you see it in person.
    09-07-2012 07:45 PM
    Why the he.ck didn't Nokia had Verge do it then? It's like they are clueless. If the video works and the camera works why lie? It's like the want to get themselves into trouble.

Video Stabilization can be a huge plus for me, as I rarely make videos because of the shaking.
    09-07-2012 08:06 PM
    Why the he.ck didn't Nokia had Verge do it then? It's like they are clueless. If the video works and the camera works why lie? It's like the want to get themselves into trouble.

Video Stabilization can be a huge plus for me, as I rarely make videos because of the shaking.
    I'll play devil's advocate for a moment and point out that they didn't actually hit "record"... they just demonstrated the on-screen effect. I would suspect that's what they meant by "not ready" yet if they had loaded on a still incomplete firmware load on their demo units.

That doesn't dismiss what was shown... clearly the tech works... it's just curious what, exactly, is "not ready". Maybe they're still optimizing write times and video compression rates.
    09-07-2012 08:48 PM
    Yeah, there's a reason they will also won't let other people actually shoot the videos them. The feature doesn't exist yet in the final form.

Windows Phone 8 isn't even finish. I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a device at launch, too much of a gamble.
    09-07-2012 08:50 PM
    Nah, it'll be fine, I'm quite confident of that... I commented elsewhere that the timing isn't a problem or even unusual. Mango went RTM and then released to public within a month as well, and so does pretty much ANY major Microsoft product. It's perfectly normal.
    09-07-2012 09:07 PM
    Using the new Super Lens and Ultra PureView enhancer, I uncovered the reel reason Nokia kept it a secret...

Last edited by htom; 09-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    09-07-2012 10:01 PM
    To be honest, if I was Nokia I'd have given the finger to The Verge and given another site the exclusive. Not only would Nokia get a much more positive vibe from the piece, but it would reach a wider audience if it was on, say, ABC.

And perhaps it would also send a message to The Verge that they don't own anything, they can't say whatever the **** they want. They have some great people on their team and some great coverage, but it's not the first time they've crossed the line from journalism to childish attention seeking.

If they want to get accusatory and offensive, then they better thicken their skins.

Twitter / joshuatopolsky: MSFT fanboys
    cckgz4 and rockstarzzz like this.
    09-07-2012 11:23 PM
    Meh. Topolosky is FAR from an MS fan. So if he says anything positive, it's a pretty big deal.
    09-07-2012 11:31 PM
    Before the conference Nokia was being very cocky, specially against Samsung. I'm glad everything blow on their faces.

Maybe next time they will give their 100%. I want real pureview Nokia, your phones are already heavy and thick just give us what we want.
    09-07-2012 11:32 PM
    Before the conference Nokia was being very cocky, specially against Samsung. I'm glad everything blow on their faces.
    Poor Samsung. Poor Samsung who rehashed their GS3 and brought nothing new to the table.

I want real pureview Nokia, your phones are already heavy and thick just give us what we want.
    "I" suddenly becomes "we". The mass market has spoken - there's a reason why devices are getting thinner. No one wants a massive camera hump, Lumias are thick but can almost get away with it due to the styling. The 808's module is inexcusable.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-07-2012 11:36 PM
    Come on bro, we know Nokia has the camera, we know it works great and none of us want a symbian device with lame specs. WE want a real pureview phone, specially after the terrible 900 camera.
    09-08-2012 09:02 AM
    Everything is clearer now.
    09-08-2012 09:08 AM
    That's ridiculous. You know what "humility" gets you in the business world? Bankruptcy.

Nokia engaged in some friendly smack-talk with Samsung...the same sort of thing that two athletes who actually kind of like each other do before a game. Compared to, I dunno, Apple's billion-dollar lawsuit against Samsung filled with rhetoric and vitriol, and Apple's attempt to bar Galaxy S3 sales with a court injunction, do you think Samsung execs lost ONE MINUTE of sleep over the Nokia "protest" of the Ativ S launch? I'll bet Samsung execs laughed about it just like the rest of us did.

Are Nokia's ads a bit "cocky"? Sure. Who cares? This is capitalism, not group therapy. Cockiness is par for the course.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    09-08-2012 11:21 AM
    You can be cocky when you have a better product. That's like when they had those Lumia 900 ads claiming everyone else is a beta tester and their product won't even get updated to Windows Phone 8.

I mean you can't be cocky and then show a fake video and have to be forced to apologized.
    09-08-2012 11:47 AM
    ^ Yes you can be cocky even when you don't have those products.

Nokia has very effectively demonstrated that. It knew Lumia 900 won't get Windows Phone 8 even before the launch. It knew Lumia 900 might have bugs to be fixed by various updates, but by being cocky it took that initial doubts from my mind, your mind and rest of the Lumia 900 users mind away.

THAT is the exact reason why Lumia 900 made it to Amazon's top rated phone for nearly 3 months and kept selling well and that's the reason Windows Phone got the recognisation from 1.3% to 4% marketshare in 2012.

Being cocky always puts your competition in doubts, for one slight moment. That is exactly what Nokia needs. With those cocky ads before the Nokia event, we all had the hype, the anticipation going. Believe me, even with those fake ad claims and whatever, everyone who saw Nokia event, who were excited of Nokia's cockiness, will end up buying Lumia 920. Just not you. Because you've taken Nokia's false marketing, advertising and whatever, to your heart. You feel cheated by Nokia as if it was your girlfriend! Nokia is a business, it needs attention, it can and will do whatever is in its capacity to gain that attention because for them it is billions of dollars. Not just one or two customers who will be so pissed and feel cheated as if it is end of the world.

I really wish Nokia becomes more cockier and comes up with even more taunting adverts because THAT competition my friend, is going to give you, me and everyone else the best technology of our time. Honestly, I am enjoying the era of tech since 2010. iPhone has maxed out on innovation, mobile world is maxing out. Only those who bring REAL INNOVATION will survive. That to me and you should mean - excellent products.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    09-08-2012 11:55 AM
    using the new super lens and ultra pureview enhancer, i uncovered the reel reason nokia kept it a secret...

click to view quoted image
    lmao!
    09-08-2012 01:00 PM

Nokia has very effectively demonstrated that. It knew Lumia 900 won't get Windows Phone 8 even before the launch. It knew Lumia 900 might have bugs to be fixed by various updates, but by being cocky it took that initial doubts from my mind, your mind and rest of the Lumia 900 users mind away.

THAT is the exact reason why Lumia 900 made it to Amazon's top rated phone for nearly 3 months and kept selling well and that's the reason Windows Phone got the recognisation from 1.3% to 4% marketshare in 2012.

Being cocky always puts your competition in doubts, for one slight moment. That is exactly what Nokia needs. With those cocky ads before the Nokia event, we all had the hype, the anticipation going. Believe me, even with those fake ad claims and whatever, everyone who saw Nokia event, who were excited of Nokia's cockiness, will end up buying Lumia 920. Just not you. Because you've taken Nokia's false marketing, advertising and whatever, to your heart. You feel cheated by Nokia as if it was your girlfriend! Nokia is a business, it needs attention, it can and will do whatever is in its capacity to gain that attention because for them it is billions of dollars. Not just one or two customers who will be so pissed and feel cheated as if it is end of the world.

I really wish Nokia becomes more cockier and comes up with even more taunting adverts because THAT competition my friend, is going to give you, me and everyone else the best technology of our time. Honestly, I am enjoying the era of tech since 2010. iPhone has maxed out on innovation, mobile world is maxing out. Only those who bring REAL INNOVATION will survive. That to me and you should mean - excellent products.
    That, in advertising terms, is called guerrilla marketing... the brief is simple. "make noise about my product. How you so it is up to you..."

As the great Sun Tzu said in The Art of War:
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

Good move Nokia..

Sent from my DROID RaZr.
    GoodThings2Life likes this.
    09-08-2012 01:15 PM
    You can be cocky when you have a better product. That's like when they had those Lumia 900 ads claiming everyone else is a beta tester and their product won't even get updated to Windows Phone 8.

I mean you can't be cocky and then show a fake video and have to be forced to apologized.
    Heh, I don't know judging by the response sounds like they do have a better product. I mean even with the negative press who in the F is talking about the Ativ S right now? Also, I don't know why you keep down playing the technical achievements Nokia has shown us in their 920.

You keep harping on about slim profile and I get that, but if you're looking at things from a tech perspective Nokia brought it with its OIS and PureMotion HD+. **** even something as basic as PPI, Samsung 306 vs Nokia 332.

As for the Lumia 900 ads that was cockiness more for the Windows Phone platform as a whole than Nokia. Why else call it a "beta test" ?

And yeah you can be cocky.The goof with the ad is nothing. You're acting like other companies don't pull that same kind of advertisement. If they had a small disclaimer, which you probably don't even notice in most commercials, you wouldn't be up in arms trying to drag them through the mud. In the end Nokia was just sloppy. There's nothing to truly indicate intent to deceive.

Seriously it's like everyone doesn't want believe that Nokia put out awesome tech in their phone. Is it cuz it's a Windows Phone? The 808 didn't get this flack.
    Last edited by blehblehbleh; 09-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    09-08-2012 01:19 PM
    It backfired on them, now everyone is talking about how Nokia is a liar and fraud.
    09-08-2012 01:22 PM
    It backfired on them, now everyone is talking about how Nokia is a liar and fraud.
    I think the point is, they're still talking about Nokia.

And when the 920 comes out, they'll be on everyone's lips again as people want to see if the phone can really do what it claims.

Keep in mind, Motorola had an event the very same day. But nobody is talking about them at all. That's worse.
    09-08-2012 02:19 PM
    ^^

I think that was their motto. Get people talking. This will stay warm till WP announcement and heat up when phones are on the shelves. Who wouldn't wanna go out and check if that phone can actually do what was apparently a "lie" and when they are pleasantly surprised, they will buy it. It won't be the time when 2 Lumias are sitting in one corner while SGS3 or iPhone4S has a crowd like ants on sugar. This time, people will walk to the Lumias, whatever their perception.
    09-09-2012 10:44 AM
    I think people will look at the lumia and will be like

Holy camoley look at this yellow phone! is huge!!
    Yeah can you imagine owning something like that lol?
    Yeah, oh look the Iphone 5 is there, let's get that.
    09-09-2012 11:34 AM
    I think people will look at the lumia and will be like

Holy camoley look at this yellow phone! is huge!!
    Yeah can you imagine owning something like that lol?
    Yeah, oh look the Iphone 5 is there, let's get that.
    All it takes is word of mouth about how Nokia lied about the camera and people will go "ewwww no thanks I'll go get an iPhone 5 now".
    09-09-2012 12:48 PM
    Apple can still screw up. People had being waiting for the Iphone 5 for almost 2 years. It better be worth it. Galaxy S 3 is too good.
    09-09-2012 01:17 PM

That doesn't work in the social economy.

Why?

Because the people who bought into the cocky marketing for Lumia 900 will still have Lumia 900s.

And when people considering 920s (if and when they ship) ask 900 owners about their experience, they'll get something like this:

"Nokia promised the smartphone beta test was over, and that this phone would be revolutionary. Two months later, they stopped software updates and said they knew, the entire time, that my phone was a dead end. My phone won't run new WP8 software, and it's worth 1/3 as much on the resale market as an HTC One X which shipped at the same time and price and DOES get updates. I'd steer clear of anything else they're selling... you can't trust them."

At that point, the cockiness turns to cockiness in bankruptcy court. Not pretty.
    09-09-2012 02:07 PM
170 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD