04-04-2017 12:37 PM
188 12345 ...
tools
    Something like this will be good.lumia.png
    12-02-2015 07:53 PM
    I don't understand why some of you are clamoring for a 6.0"+ device. You realize that makes it another "phone for MS fans" and the general public won't give a frak? It has to be around 5.0".
    SPS828, sahib lopez and ayngling like this.
    12-02-2015 09:57 PM
    Something like this will be good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumia.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	118111

you realize for a 6in phone, the keys would be incredibly small. I don't know how it would be better than the onscreen keyboard. Now if that keyboard unfolded, it would be bigger than a surface keyboard (the one I'm typing on) while still 4 rows high.
    12-02-2015 11:10 PM
    I'd start with a 5.8-6" screen. AMOLED but not super high res. 1080 HD with perfect colors and incredible brightness. Super sensitive screen and clear black technologies continue in the line up. Surface water cooling apparatus. Huge battery, 4200-5000mAh. I'd love a built in stand. Should have 8GB RAM available maybe but 4 should be base level. Best Intel chip available that fits. Stylus integration including on board storage.
    The thing should feel like a substantial yet relatively tiny brick with the angled edges and other Surface features. The camera has to be top notch as well so with the battery considerations we should go back to the 41MP camera in the 1020. Maybe an entire operating system runs the camera in ready mode all the time. Waiting for the camera app to load was killing me on my old 1020, I missed so many shots. A Surface Pro phone should snap an incredible picture in less than a second from touching the phone with that intention.
    Hey Cortana integration, Glance screen tech.Wireless charging. MicroSD storage ability.
    And it has to have interactive live tiles like we were going to get in the canceled McLaren flagship. Whatever hardware it takes to do that is a requirement for my hero phone.
    This is the only phone that has a hope of changing MS's hideous fortunes in the mobile world. Once there is a drop-dead gorgeous flagship PC/hero phone that everyone lusts over the rest of W10M needs to be in such fantastic shape that it draws in the curious and the jaded rather than send those people to competitors.
    It's so freaking easy! /s
    Teaching Erik likes this.
    12-02-2015 11:31 PM
    My biggest hope for [we'll just call it] "Surface Phone" is that it's x86 based and that it's iteration of Continuum will

a) be a FULL-FLEDGED Windows 10 desktop PC, as well as

b) incorporate "Handoff"-like features into the platform, such as handing off documents, emails, open browser windows, taking and making calls and SMS between all the Windows 10 devices you own, but take it even further yet with things like start-menu sync, "app matching" between devices, include XB1 in that, and also enable streaming game-play (and other things) to and from the continuum experience with the XBox and other PCs in the house

and

c) Have the phone either be carried by, or at least "whitelisted" by Verizon so I can actually use it as a phone!!!

---------------

The ONLY reason I'm not planning to buy a 950XL at tax return time 2016 is because it's blacklisted by Verizon, and for manifold reasons I've shared before, I'm not really at liberty to switch carriers. As truly impressed as I am by even this very early "halfway-there" Snapdragon powered "Lumia Continnum", I just can't justify spending $650 on an XL when the "phone" part of the equation doesn't come with it.

------HOWEVER------ I am in the market for BOTH a high end gaming Windows 10 PC for the living room "gaming rig", AS WELL AS a more modest Windows 10 PC for upstairs in the office. My hope is to have bought both at or before tax return time 2017. Now, consider the merits of a "Surface Phone" like what I qualified above as that more modest PC!

It would spec "good enough". It would also be ultra-portable. I could do the wired continuum for optimum performance in the office using a real keyboard and mouse, and then all through the rest of the house, do the wireless connection using the phone's screen keyboard/touchpad - then my whole house is a computer! Plus, I could take it with me and use it when I visit my parents on the north side (which I do every other Saturday more or less), or I could use it out and about at "Continuum kiosks" if/when that day comes. If my XB1 and my gaming PC are both in the living room, then it doesn't make sense to stream between them, but if this "Surface Phone" could stream from both of them, then I could play both anywhere in the house, including up in the office!

And if we have the handoff-like stuff, that eliminates the problem of having three computers (including a Surface or Surface clone) with some work/apps/ files on one but not on the others with no super easy way to tear down those walls of division. Instead, not only would the "modest PC" of the phone's "Continuum" be an extension of the phone and vice versa, but they would both also be an extension of the beefy gaming PC, the Surface, as well as the XBox, and of course, in each of those cases also vice versa!

For that kind of experience, I'd be willing to pay a higher price than what I'd pay for one of those little HP box computers that would [in theory] spec and perform comparably. The flexibility, portability, and convenience would justify the price easily.

--------------

But let me take this one step further

--------------

Whereas I CANNOT justify the price of a 950XL minus the phone functionality just for its "halfway there" version of Continuum, I ---COULD--- (and would) still justify the "Surface Phone" for all the goods mentioned above from its Continuum experience....even if that phone gets blacklisted too!

In other words, for that kind of a PC, I would not even need the phone to "be a phone" in order to get the phone! Of course, it'd be even a million times better yet if for the same amount of money, and for the same sized block in my shirt pocket, I could also get a phone out of the deal...you know, of buying a phone. :-)

Anyway that's my hope for the "Surface Phone", and my planned use case for such a beast should anything even remotely like it emerge from Panos' laboratory this time next year!

Cheers!
    12-02-2015 11:32 PM
    I want something different, in a fundamental way, kind of like the surface pro is a tablet god, and I hope it doesn't lose anything the 950's already have like qi, what worries me is this kind of product needs time, again, same as surface pro, 3 attempts until it worked
    12-02-2015 11:40 PM
    I think that it is time to ditch charger connector and go fully for wireless. Same with audio out. Two SIM cards should be there and built in 250GB memory instead of card. Trimmed down battery but solar charger on back side and ability to function underwater. Screen size not beyond 5,5 inches, camera of 20-25 M is sufficient. Phone should be able to do continuum thing without docking station required.
    12-03-2015 03:34 AM

THIS!

I just looked on youtube and found this concept. PANOS, just build this and be done.

Oh, and squeeze an updated version of the 1020 camera in there as well!
    JaySeeDoubleYou and SPS828 like this.
    12-03-2015 06:33 AM
    My wishlist for Surface Phone:
    1.A 6" IPS screen @FHD with 60Hz refresh rate and brightness & color profile calibration.
    2.2GB DDR3L/DDR4 RAM.
    3.Liquid Cooled & modestly overclocked CPU from Qualcomm or Intel.
    4. Removable 4000mAH battery.
    5.Exchangeable Back covers with accessory like zenflash for photo-entusiasts.
    Removed:
    Sliding keyboard.
    Since its a surface phone, I'm sticking with 6" screen since lumia's already has 5.2 & 5.7" variants and simply putting a 5 incher would confuse the consumer "Which phone to buy with respect to screen size and specs"
    Last edited by v535; 12-04-2015 at 05:12 AM.
    12-03-2015 07:35 AM
    My wishlist for Surface Phone:
    1.A 6" IPS screen @FHD with 60Hz refresh rate and brightness & color profile calibration.
    2.2GB DDR3L/DDR4 RAM.
    3.Liquid Cooled & modestly overclocked CPU from Qualcomm or Intel.
    4.4000mAH battery.
    5.Sliding keyboard.
    Since its a surface phone, I'm sticking with 6" screen since lumia's already has 5.2 & 5.7" variants and simply putting a 5 incher would confuse the consumer "Which phone to buy with respect to screen size and specs"
    Don't quite get the sliding keyboard. If it slides from the device won't that add bulk to the thickness? If it's a surface phone, wouldn't the term 'surface' be misplaced? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??
    J F A Today and v535 like this.
    12-03-2015 07:58 AM
    I am sure the screen, CPU, RAM will all be optimized properly... and honestly, hardware was never much of an issue.

1. Close the app-gap. Get android apps running -- implement the required VM/BT to do it.. BB did it, do it much better than what BB did. I am pretty sure they are working on this though. Get the banking apps back at the least. Don't care about the rest anymore. Thanks to google not porting their key apps, Skype gets my calling money and onedrive gets my cloud storage business.
    2. pen -- for the Galaxy note fans (and me secretively)
    3. Laser focus -- While the camera quality is exceptional, I still think laser focus is missing.. and it dulls the experience... Evaluate and use the britecell or whatever Samsung has recently found for better low-light photography
    4. Mobile payments -- definitely a plus. Enable working with Android/apple pay for short term compatibility.
    5. Windows passport -- It would be awesome if this lastpass like feature is integrated sooner.
    6. Better Biometrics -- I personally dont care too much about how biometrics are as long as they work without frustrating me. Iris seems better as it is a bit more secure and does not unlock when you are knocked out or sleeping...
    12-03-2015 08:58 AM

THIS!

I just looked on youtube and found this concept. PANOS, just build this and be done.

Oh, and squeeze an updated version of the 1020 camera in there as well!
    Ever since that popped up I've thought it is the dumbest concept I've ever seen. How many type covers do you see for current phones? 0. You know why? Because single finger typing on a flat surface is about as far from productivity as you can get.

There needs to (and will be) more than just shrinking a surface. You only get that kind of thinking in fan renders and concepts. Same with the surface book "phone," just aping the design of a current product and shrinking it doesn't result in a realistic or usable device.
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    12-03-2015 10:12 AM
    Ever since that popped up I've thought it is the dumbest concept I've ever seen. How many type covers do you see for current phones? 0. You know why? Because single finger typing on a flat surface is about as far from productivity as you can get.

There needs to (and will be) more than just shrinking a surface. You only get that kind of thinking in fan renders and concepts. Same with the surface book "phone," just aping the design of a current product and shrinking it doesn't result in a realistic or usable device.
    actually there are a bunch of small keyboards available but they are all Bluetooth. I could type on that type cover no issues way faster than ever using your thumbs. Plus then your thumbs will have a break. in the future I think our thumbs will be bent in a permanent claw shape because everyone will just text all day long.

I think its perfect.
    12-03-2015 10:22 AM
    Don't quite get the sliding keyboard. If it slides from the device won't that add bulk to the thickness? If it's a surface phone, wouldn't the term 'surface' be misplaced? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??
    Previously to seeing the PRIV I would agree with you, but not anymore. Go have a look.
    12-03-2015 10:23 AM
    I think an overall strategy should include a "cloud" based activity log that is searchable and stored on a daily basis. Meaning, if I'm at the office grinding away on a big project and get a call that my kid is sick and I need to pick him/her up ASAP, that later that night and the kid is safely asleep, I could readily pickup where I left off. With the option being that I could load the activity log from today and just pick and choose the apps/files I want loaded up on whichever device I have handy.

By searchable I mean I could look for a project I was working on a couple of weeks ago and not have to waste time digging through folders/emails.

Fun stuff!
    12-03-2015 10:24 AM
    I hope I am replying to the correct comment... if so...
    I REALLY like this idea!

Panos, are you watching this thread? I sure hope so!
    12-03-2015 10:25 AM
    4. Mobile payments -- definitely a plus. Enable working with Android/apple pay for short term compatibility.
    What do you mean? Porting the apps over? Both are just nfc based so there is nothing stopping the current phones from using it (in fact we had it before google bought softcard). The 950 even has a toggle to turn mobile payment on, just doesn't do anything.

I think the biggest hold up on the payment front is a combination of regulatory, bank deals and desire on MS's part. While mobile payment got a big push from apple, the adoption has been declining since the novelty wore off. So I don't know if MS is willing to put in the time, effort, and money to get it going on their end, or if the banks are willing to do the same for the fraction of a fraction of fraction of the percent that they'd get out of it.
    12-03-2015 10:26 AM
    actually there are a bunch of small keyboards available but they are all Bluetooth. I could type on that type cover no issues way faster than ever using your thumbs. Plus then your thumbs will have a break. in the future I think our thumbs will be bent in a permanent claw shape because everyone will just text all day long.

I think its perfect.
    There are tons of bluetooth keyboards, no question, but they're either bigger, or like you said, designed for thumb typing, because trying to type on a keyboard like that is pointless. I would love to see someone hunched over their 5" screen, trying to touch type on 5" keyboard.

If it was something the mass market was looking for, it would be out, and it would be selling. There isn't some technological leap needed for it, just any logical point for it.
    12-03-2015 10:44 AM
    I don't think there we'd have anything special if we just got standard phone with a stylus. Not even a mini 5-6" keyboard will cut it. They really need to take this concept and run with it. A phone that becomes a tablet with improved Continuum would be mind boggling amazing. Nokia has dabbled with folding display tech before so Samsung certainly isn't the only one that knows how to do it. They've also done work on wifi and solar power. If they could get wifi wireless charging tech in the next Surface Pro 5 and Surface Phone, that would be monumental.

Last edited by EMINENT 1; 12-03-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    J F A Today likes this.
    12-03-2015 12:05 PM
    There are tons of bluetooth keyboards, no question, but they're either bigger, or like you said, designed for thumb typing, because trying to type on a keyboard like that is pointless. I would love to see someone hunched over their 5" screen, trying to touch type on 5" keyboard.

If it was something the mass market was looking for, it would be out, and it would be selling. There isn't some technological leap needed for it, just any logical point for it.
    I beg to differ, but ok. But, I highly doubt we will see a cover like that anyways. maybe an adapter for the touch cover for the surface.
    12-03-2015 12:36 PM
    My Surface Phone wish-list:
    - Snapdragon 820 processor
    - 5.4 " 1440p display
    - ClearForce (Synaptics forceTouch / 3D-touch variant)
    - USB-C connector + 3.5mm jack
    - Micro SD or second SIM slot (So the user has the option for SD storage or dual-SIM)
    - Fingerprint sensor embedded in the screen (Qualcomms Sence ID technology)
    - On-screen navigation buttons
    - Dual front facing speakers
    - 20mp camera + dedicated camera button
    - 8-10mm thick (not that thin please)

And;
    no X86 support,
    no kickstand,
    no typecover,
    no pen-support,
    no hover-touch (aka 3D touch in the McLaren device); (would nice technology, but the implementation can never be as great as ClearForce I think)
    I think that those features are not meant for an smartphone; even if it is meant for businesses; normal people will find it a strange phone and they will be hard to implement in a way that it will always work perfectly.

and new/improved UI features:
    - Easy and fast Bluetooth connection setup
    - Never let the onscreen keyboard show up when a Bluetooth keyboard is attached
    - Improved Continuum with windowed applications support
    - ClearForce integration through the whole OS
    - A right-swipe from the homescreen to go to business related applications / recent documents / quick share options / continuum options. Make this option variable, with customisation and interaction options.
    - Make continuum work great with TV's to share/control media and watch movies
    - When long press the start button and the 'screen goes down', show usefull information

Not that spectacular features (except the ClearForce and Fingerprint sensor of course), but I think the display, camera and build quality are more important. So Microsoft; surprise us with the phone's design!

Price estimation: ~650 USD with a Dock included in the box.
    Last edited by wpmarcel; 12-04-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    12-03-2015 04:23 PM
    her3.jpg
    This.
    12-03-2015 10:43 PM
    For the Surface Phone, I'd love quite a few things:
    • 5"-6" screen.
    • Actual back, start, and search buttons! (I'm not a fan of having buttons on-screen).
    • 20+ megapixel camera.
    • Wireless Qi charging.
    • USB-C connector.
    • Continuum. (And, if it is true like the rumors say that this will be a full fledged computer, I hope continuum will work seamlessly and smoothly).
    • Definitely has to stylistically resemble a Surface device. It'd be important to avoid looking like a Lumia, so as to differentiate what product line it belongs to! (Metal, like the Surface Pro line has! I much prefer it to the plastic on the Lumias).
    • 32+ GB storage, with microSD additional storage option.
    • Possible Surface Pen support? (It'd be fun to have, especially if you have a pen already with your Surface Pro, but totally not necessary for a 5-6" screen haha).
    • "Hey Cortana" feature, I love this on my Lumia Icon.
    • Iris or fingerprint login. I'd love to have a Windows Mobile device with a fingerprint login, but iris login is cool too!
    • 3D touch would be cool, but I don't find it necessary.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if this phone that is rumored to come out were to sport these things, it'd basically be my dream phone!
    12-04-2015 09:09 AM
    Good main camera
    and
    Shatterproof please
    12-04-2015 12:14 PM
    Fully agreed with everything you stated and to add a few small things.

Here's my wishlist (slightly amended):

11) 4GB of RAM. I don't need to explain why.
    Supposedly the Snapdragon 830 is going to support 8 gigs of ram ... yeah I know.

13) Return of the 41 MP camera. At this point, MS needs to go all the way. A 20 MP camera might be fine for the 950/XL but a true flagship phone needs a true flagship camera and no camera has ever matched the cache of that ludicrous Pureview. As usual, give it Zeiss lens but upgrade the OIS so it is laser assisted. A cool differentiator would be for Pureview to get a Hasselblad certified Medium Format feature. That'll give the pretentious artsy types currently on iPhones something to think about the next time they get a phone. MS should lock Hasselblad in an exclusive contract that would exclude any partnership with Apple.
    They might introduce a camera specific smartphone (the rumored 1050), but making the surface phone "have it all" is the best way to say flagship and attract peoples attention, imho.

14) To power it all, MS needs a battery much larger than what they are using now. Even my 1520's 3400mah battery with only a 1080p screen to power feels average. Now I am acutely aware that I was spoiled by the 1320's phenomenal battery life which was only powering a 720p screen. Nevertheless, that sort of stamina should be the goalpost for MS. I see that happening with a 4000-6000mah battery. I may be wrong though since my calculations with a 1440p screen is far from scientific.
    Perhaps use this:
    Future Smartphone Screens will use very less power - google (need more posts to post links ... sorry)
    And this
    5 future battery technologies to make your phone last longer and charge faster

Or perhaps R&D a next gen battery themselves i.e.

Over engineering FTW!
    12-04-2015 04:02 PM
188 12345 ...