Do I actually want Denim?

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
8.1 was a complete disaster for my Lumia 521. They should have called it "Windows Phone Loading" because that's what I'm looking at half the time. And if it isn't "loading..." it's "resuming...". The camera now takes so long to get ready that I can only shoot landscapes. And forget about Cortana, she arrives the next day by bus. If I could, I'd dump 8.1 in a heartbeat just to get back to where I was.

Does Denim include any performance enhancements? If not, maybe this is the end of the road for me and Windows Phone. I had to buy a new phone to get from 7.8 to 8, I'm not buying another just to get from 8 to 8.1.

Last edited:

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a lot of apps on ur SD card? And what class is ur SD card?
Also have u ever hard reset ur phone after getting wp8.1?

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Very little on the SD card, very few apps. It's a low-end phone but I still have 1.6 GB free, plus most of the SD.
I did some more searching and found some posts suggesting turning off Cortana (there's an off switch in Cortana's settings, not sure what "off" really means, apparently disables some active/background features). I tried that and, surprisingly, it seems to have helped. Will see.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't have done that, Cortana is a pretty cool feature. But if you're not using her that often, and if your phone slows down - why not.
I'd also suggest updating to Denim and then hard reseting your phone.
Even though it's a low-end phone you shouldn't face any "lag" or similar problems.
And if you do.. well.. though luck.

rfh1987

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I had major issues with 8.1 on my Lumia 820, too. I had to do a hard reset, and that worked wonders for me. The biggest problem for me was battery life. With 8.0, my battery would last a day and a half to two days. After updating to 8.1, I saw my battery draining in half a day, even if I wasn't using it. After the hard reset, I still didn't see as good of battery life as I had with 8.0, but it was much improved to about a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes