I have followed the How to upgrade from vista on this site but only describes how to create the iso using usb. I have downloaded the folder from Microsoft, copied the files to a dvd, changed the boot sequence to the dvd drive but the disk does not load. Somehow this just seems too easy. What am I missing here?

thanx,
    JOhn
    04-10-2018 02:39 PM
    Did you burn the image to the DVD? The iso file itself is not bootable. It can also be mounted using an app like this and then you can launch the setup from within Windows.
    04-10-2018 05:50 PM
    Thats what I thought. i'm old school so I still talk in terms of folders and files. So i have a folder downloaded from Microsoft containing 4 folders and 4 files resting in my downloads folder. Is that what you refer to as an image? Or do I have to create the image using some application? and then make it bootable? Struggling with the process.
    04-11-2018 05:00 PM
    Find the iso file and if you have a DVD-RW on your PC, then you probably have the burning software such as Roxio Creator to create a bootable DVD. Double click on the iso and if the software is installed, it should open automatically b/c most will auto associate iso files to itself during the install. It should be pretty intuitive from there. If you have a DVD-RW but not the software, you can buy it via the link I included above. Or just use a free app such as the one in my first post that allows you to mount the iso as a virtual drive. Windows 7, 8, and 10 have the ability built in but Vista doesn't so that's why you need an app. After you install it, right click on the iso file and you should see a "Mount" option, description may vary, that will then display a virtual CD drive with setup files. Then just double click the setup.exe or whatever is the install file.
    04-11-2018 05:47 PM
    if you have the Windows Vista installation disk, follow these steps:Insert the disk
    Restart your computer
    Press any key to start Windows from the disk. If the “Press any key” message doesn’t appear, please check your BIOS settings as you need to boot from the DVD first.Choose your language preferences
    Click Next. then Click Repair your computer,Restart your computer. Remove all CDs, DVDs or USB flash drives from your computer first.
    Press and hold the F8 key as your computer boots up. You need to press this key before the Windows Vista logo appears on your screen.
    At the Advanced Boot Options screen, select Repair your computer.
    09-06-2018 07:30 AM
    It won't work if you just copy the iSO file to the DVD .
    Seeing how it helps you : https://www.iseepassword.com/iso-creator.html
    Last edited by iAomer; 10-21-2018 at 02:30 AM.
    10-17-2018 03:18 AM