The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hey everyone,

Just bought a Microsoft Wireless HDMI Adapter, can i use it on my Windows 10 technical preview computer?
    If so, how? I can't figure it out.
    When I go to Notification Centre --> Connect it keeps on searching but finds nothing.

Thanks
    02-10-2015 11:31 AM
    you may need to update video drivers....
    02-10-2015 11:37 AM
    Just updated everything, no changes!
    02-10-2015 01:47 PM
    If it's anything like the HD-10 Miracast adapter, then it's using 2.4Ghz WiFi to connect to your device. In case your device is already using the 2.4 GHz frequency to connect to the internet, both connection might interfere. Best thing to do is use a 5Ghz frequency to connect to the internet. Most routers/access points nowadays support it (802.11n if I'm not mistaken).
    02-10-2015 01:52 PM
    If it's anything like the HD-10 Miracast adapter, then it's using 2.4Ghz WiFi to connect to your device. In case your device is already using the 2.4 GHz frequency to connect to the internet, both connection might interfere. Best thing to do is use a 5Ghz frequency to connect to the internet. Most routers/access points nowadays support it (802.11n if I'm not mistaken).

Shouldn't be an issue- devices like this were made to be used while the internet is connected. Hence the requirement of separate hardware (Wi-Fi direct). IF there was interference (which is most unlikely) he would still be able to see the device, but he would have poor/laggy performance or have trouble connecting.

Not being able to see it at all means the drivers aren't working or someone nearby is using a precision tuned wifi jammer to target Miracast.
    02-10-2015 02:41 PM
    Shouldn't be an issue- devices like this were made to be used while the internet is connected. Hence the requirement of separate hardware (Wi-Fi direct). IF there was interference (which is most unlikely) he would still be able to see the device, but he would have poor/laggy performance or have trouble connecting.

Not being able to see it at all means the drivers aren't working or someone nearby is using a precision tuned wifi jammer to target Miracast.

Search the net for Miracast connection issues, you'll find quite lot of threads referring to these interferences. And I experienced the very same.
    02-10-2015 02:48 PM
    Search the net for Miracast connection issues, you'll find quite lot of threads referring to these interferences. And I experienced the very same.

I said it was unlikely, not that it didn't happen. If I search the internet for "Miracast connection issues" I will certainly find examples of it not working, but that type of search is also the definition of confirmation bias...
    02-10-2015 02:51 PM
    First try Windows Logo + P. If that do not help then something missing, driver or some system files. Maybe it could be issue with Win 10 TP.
    One of option is to rollback to 8.1 and see will Miracast work it from 8.1, if not work then your laptop cannot work as Miracast client.
    Also you can try from Win 10 TP - All Settings - Devices - Connected devices - Add device. Then try Windows logo + P.
    02-10-2015 02:52 PM
    For my part, I have two routers in 2.4GHz, two Miracast receivers (microsoft's and actiontec's), 50+ wireless devices (roughly 25 active at any given time on a normal day) all in a not so big house with many data consuming occupants. But wait! There are 11 channels each router can use under 2.4GHz, and they auto select the cleanest spectrum. So wifi direct, also capable of selecting the cleanest of 11 channels, has 9 pristinely empty channels to choose from... Miracast works flawlessly. Your and others' issues could easily be malfunctioning drivers and weak (defective) radios- clearing up interference could certainly help an underperforming transmitter, but it might be treating a symptom, not the root cause.

Honestly, the whole "use 5Ghz for less interference" is a marketing ploy to get people to buy 5GHz dual band routers. The number of people that actually have enough devices pumping out enough noise to cause issues on the 2.4Ghz spectrum... Those are edge cases. Like someone in an apartment next to 11 other apartments where every apartment has a router and some of those household 2.4GHz cordless phones.
    02-10-2015 03:02 PM
    Yes, tech preview supports wireless displays AKA Miracast, but as others alluded to earlier, your computer should be capable of it to use the feature. Are you able to use wireless displays with Windows 8.1 on your system? Which system do you have? If wireless displays were working for you on 8.1, please ask the question on the insider forum and post the link here so we can diagnose further. Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Community
    02-10-2015 11:56 PM
    Hey guys thank for the replies. I have an ASUS K53SV laptop. BTW I just rolled back to Windows 8.1 and still doesn't work.... Everythings installed so I guess my device isn't supporting Miracast. Gotta wait until I can pay for a surface then!
    02-11-2015 02:38 PM
    Hey guys thank for the replies. I have an ASUS K53SV laptop. BTW I just rolled back to Windows 8.1 and still doesn't work.... Everythings installed so I guess my device isn't supporting Miracast. Gotta wait until I can pay for a surface then!

yes, computer support miracast it is in the OS..when you try to connect disable your security software along with windows firewall until you are connected..

I had days of the BS with tech support saying to me it was not supported..

although I have not tried it with win 10....it was when I tried with win 8.1...tonight i'll try with win 10 and report

try that.....

Edit..: I have push to TV 3000..and it has connect to my Sharp Aquos TV with no problem....I have to disable the AVG security internet along with the windows firewall to do the initial connecting. After I re-enable the security....everything is all well..
    Last edited by Alain_A; 02-11-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    02-11-2015 04:49 PM
    Many, many people have problems with the push to TV 3000- the source of your issue is very likely the device being stupid. It's not very good.
    02-12-2015 02:25 AM
    Many, many people have problems with the push to TV 3000- the source of your issue is very likely the device being stupid. It's not very good.
    like I said, disable the security software with windows firewall during connection ...PTV 3000 works just fine
    02-12-2015 10:06 AM
    That's not really a viable solution..
    02-12-2015 10:08 AM
    I just need to find a way to make it as exception in my system...but I don't know how
    02-12-2015 11:11 AM
    Just to give further info, all you need for your PC to support Miracast is a modern WiFi driver (and so a WiFi dongle that supports it) and a vid card driver that supports Miracast (this is as stated by MS if you search). Both Intel and Nvidia cards (modern ones) support this, don't know about ATi. The problem comes with WiFi. I cannot find even one WiFi dongle or card that states it supports Miracast in the spec. Ruddy annoying.

Can anyone recommend a suitable dongle? Must be 5 & 2.4 and ideally would support 450meg N speeds like my router (3 spatial streams rather than 2 like the 300meg sticks).
    02-12-2015 11:30 AM
    Just to give further info, all you need for your PC to support Miracast is a modern WiFi driver (and so a WiFi dongle that supports it) and a vid card driver that supports Miracast (this is as stated by MS if you search). Both Intel and Nvidia cards (modern ones) support this, don't know about ATi. The problem comes with WiFi. I cannot find even one WiFi dongle or card that states it supports Miracast in the spec. Ruddy annoying.

Can anyone recommend a suitable dongle? Must be 5 & 2.4 and ideally would support 450meg N speeds like my router (3 spatial streams rather than 2 like the 300meg sticks).

It doesn't quite work like that- Miracast actually uses wifi-direct, which is a radio completely independent of wifi. Your computer needs to physically have a dedicated Wifi direct chipset. The shared name does make it confusing... But think of it like bluetooth- it's its own thing.

Miracast and Intel widi are basically interchangeable- when looking for a device to use Miracast with you can search for "widi" too, and if the device has wifi direct it very likely has miracast/widi.

The only wifi direct dongle I know of is actiontec's, but I'm fairly sure it only works with their receiver. It's a very good receiver, though. http://www.actiontec.com/298.html

Some background info: The win8 Miracast drivers were specifically developed using that product as a test device. I'd say it's the best choice for a Miracast receiver. Microsoft's receiver is also very good and likely received the same treatment, however it's locked to 720p (at least I can't figure out how to change it). Actiontec's is a lot more powerful and configurable.
    juanitoriv likes this.
    02-12-2015 12:23 PM
    Um, no. Microsoft say 'Wireless display is available on most new Windows 8.1 PCs, but some PC manufacturers might choose not to include it on some new and upgraded PCs. Specifically, your PC needs WDDM 1.3 display and NDIS 6.4 Wi-Fi drivers, enabled by the IHV and OEM for Miracast.'

I did tell you to search.

So, if you build your own PC and so you are the OEM all you need is a compatible vid card and WiFi card.

Try this link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...with-miracast/
    02-13-2015 04:56 AM
    Um, no. Microsoft say 'Wireless display is available on most new Windows 8.1 PCs, but some PC manufacturers might choose not to include it on some new and upgraded PCs. Specifically, your PC needs WDDM 1.3 display and NDIS 6.4 Wi-Fi drivers, enabled by the IHV and OEM for Miracast.'

I did tell you to search.

So, if you build your own PC and so you are the OEM all you need is a compatible vid card and WiFi card.

Try this link:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...with-miracast/

You are mistaken. Look under "disadvantages" in particular in the following URL:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

Miracast / WiDi are technologies used over wifi direct. Your URL also says as much, just not in clear language.

Link hates it when people don't listen to him...

I know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by link68759; 02-13-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    02-13-2015 09:36 AM
    I know Miracast works over WiDi but that doesn't negate my point. For example, both my Toshiba Encore and my Roku Streaming Stick use Miracast/WiDi and they both do it using the same WiFi radio they use for WiFi lan connection, not with a separate radio, and they do it whilst maintaining a WiFi lan connection. That is why the widi signal in my setup is always on the same channel as the wifi (though it is not the same network). Just because widi uses a separate ID does not mean it must use a separate radio. Doesn't mean it can't of course, but it is not a requirement. Using the same radio does have disadvantages but it is possible.
    02-14-2015 12:39 AM
    I know Miracast works over WiDi but that doesn't negate my point. For example, both my Toshiba Encore and my Roku Streaming Stick use Miracast/WiDi and they both do it using the same WiFi radio they use for WiFi lan connection, not with a separate radio, and they do it whilst maintaining a WiFi lan connection. That is why the widi signal in my setup is always on the same channel as the wifi (though it is not the same network). Just because widi uses a separate ID does not mean it must use a separate radio. Doesn't mean it can't of course, but it is not a requirement. Using the same radio does have disadvantages but it is possible.

You're confusing WiDi with wifi direct. Widi and miracast are similar software solutions- they're identical but widi used to have USBoIP (it doesn't anymore) and widi is Intel closed source. Miracast is an open spec. The roku streaming stick has a wifi direct chipset- this is in fact the way in which the remote communicates with the unit. If your Toshiba encore supports Miracast, it has a wifi direct unit.

Miracast spec requires wifi direct. If you've managed to hack Miracast into working over a standard wifi connection, my understanding is that you cannot also use the same radio to connect to a router and get internet. Hence dedicated Wi-Fi direct chipsets.
    02-14-2015 02:20 AM
    You're confusing WiDi with wifi direct. The roku streaming stick has a wifi direct chipset- this is in fact the way in which the remote communicates with the unit. I'd your Toshiba encore supports Miracast, it has a wifi direct unit.
    Wifi direct is not wifi. Miracast spec requires wifi direct.
    Did you mean "WiFi" in the first sentence? "WiDi" sounds like it would mean WiFi Direct, although I've never heard that name before.

Edit: Bing is your friend... It means Wireless Display... which is news to me! I totally thought you coined a new term :)

Ahem... Carry on folks, nothing to see here!
    02-14-2015 02:24 AM
    WiDi is indeed wireless display over WiFi direct (more usually called Miracast now), it is more complex than that (different names as standards evolved) but that'll do for a basic explanation. A radio can work on one frequency at a time (without using complex techniques not relevant here). It can connect to multiple devices also broadcasting on the same frequency. This is why Bluetooth can be used to connect two devices at once with only one radio in use on the receiver. Of course, the software needs to be in place to manage this, which means a capable WiFi driver needs to be used.

Of course, if you have a separate connection for your lan (different WiFi stick, or wifi radio, or a wired ethernet connection) then this issue disappears, except your receiver device (such as a Roku) may only have one radio which means the WiFi direct signal will still sit on the WiFi channel. This does lead to interference problems, and is most certainly not ideal. It is, however, possible.

Finding a suitable WiFi stick is not so easy however.
    02-16-2015 11:02 AM
    I've got the Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 coming from Amazon Tuesday. It IS Miracast and Wi-Di certified. I'll be projecting from my Flex 10 Win8.1 2in1, my Lumia 630 and this Android tab I also ordered. This is just the receiver that plugs into your HDMI input on the tv. They also have USB transmitters. But again as stated before, your chipset needs to support the Wi-Di protocol. In Win8+, you can find put if you can in the charms menu. Swipe, Devices then Project, and if you have an option to Add a Wireless Display, you're good to go. Here is a link to Actiontec's site & their Screembeam Wireless Display Kit. http://www.actiontec.com/298.html
    It also shows the many system requirements.

I'll let you know how my Mini2 works on Tuesday. Hope this helps.
    03-06-2015 10:34 PM