Installing Win10 TP on HP Stream 7 through Windows Update

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm stumped.

So, I previously had a dual boot setup between W10 and W8.1 on my laptop, but one of the fast ring builds last week messed up the boot configuration, and I basically lost the ability to boot into W10. I couldn't get it fixed, so I decided to switch from using W10 on my laptop to my HP Stream 7. However, I don't have a USB OTG adapter, so I can't do a fresh install. So, I go to the Insider website and follow the steps to install it through Windows Update. The little "Windows10InsiderPreview.exe" application downloads and runs, launching Windows Update, which couldn't find any updates (other than a definition update for Defender). Install the definition update... reboot... Still no Windows 10 update. I gave it 24 hours, hoping it might pick it up eventually, but it never did.

I double checked that the tablet is signed into / connected to my insider account, redownloaded the application thing from the Insider site, and still can't get an update. I looked around, and couldn't find any help specific to this issue. Seems like the application thing was supposed to reboot the device itself, which didn't happen. Not sure why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having same problem. I installed on SP3 few weeks ago, no problem. Tried on 2 desktops and a laptop on 8.1 yesterday and can not find update after running insider a.exe. I did notice that normally after running insider file it ask to reboot but on all 3 I saw it flash something about restart but instead goes straight to windows update. Tried reset, restore, etch, no luck. Any suggestions?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My HP Stream was able to work through Windows Update, so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. You said it didn't reboot your tablet, so maybe you could try that and check again.

If that doesn't work, make sure you've got every update installed, run the .exe, then manually reboot.

If all of that fails, just get the ISO from the insider website.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe something going on. For me to have 3 machines (2 different MS accounts) and all do exact same thing.... don't reboot after insider app run (although for about 1/2 second it flashed restart needed then opened update with out restart.) Anyone tried from 8.1 since yesterday?

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My HP Stream was able to work through Windows Update, so I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. You said it didn't reboot your tablet, so maybe you could try that and check again.

If that doesn't work, make sure you've got every update installed, run the .exe, then manually reboot.

Since build is so smooth was going to use on daily desktop/laptop so don't want to use ISO, prefer as update.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

I already tried all that, multiple times and various orders.

The reason I'm not installing from an ISO is because I don't want to buy a USB OTG adapter, but it looks like I'm gona have to shell out the $4 :p

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
@jlanger all you're doing when you use Windows Update is downloading an ESD file, which is just an encrypted ISO. The two practically do the same thing. I don't understand "going to use on daily desktop/laptop", since you'd get the same code. An ISO is not more or less stable.

@idokamaroq You don't have to have a USB OTG cable. Just download it, then mount it. Windows 8 can do this natively.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
@jlanger all you're doing when you use Windows Update is downloading an ESD file, which is just an encrypted ISO. The two practically do the same thing. I don't understand "going to use on daily desktop/laptop", since you'd get the same code. An ISO is not more or less stable.

@idokamaroq You don't have to have a USB OTG cable. Just download it, then mount it. Windows 8 can do this natively.

​Thanks my stupidity I guess. Was assuming ISO was for clean install only. Thanks downloaded and upgraded my laptop.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
​Thanks my stupidity I guess. Was assuming ISO was for clean install only. Thanks downloaded and upgraded my laptop.

Ah, I see the confusion then. You're right in that you can use an ISO to clean install, but you don't have to, and I don't think it's even the default option unless you're downgrading (e.g. Windows 8 to Windows 7). Glad to clear up any confusion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes