01-04-2015 02:51 PM
62 123
tools
    Well, like I said before. If Microsoft changes the phone's UI to match that of the Surface and of the desktop Windows 8 (or, in this case, Windows 10), I will be gone. I had to help fix a problem on my friend's PC and his Surface last night (printing and sound problems), as well as help my mother with her laptop, and I for one completely hate the design. It's unintuitive, and quite frankly, it's ugly. Very ugly in fact. That sleek subway-map design language from WP7 and WP8 is what drew me to the phone, Nokia's products and the snappy response of the UI kept me on board. If Microsoft wants to go in this direction, they'll lose me as a customer.
    12-23-2014 07:12 AM
    I don't like it. Hopefully this is just a very rough alpha of the OS.
    12-23-2014 08:10 AM
    It was just a picture they used to help the demonstration. It wasn't even a functioning phone. I wouldn't get too excited.
    saras112 likes this.
    12-23-2014 08:24 AM
    Oh no it is going android way.If ui resembles android then I will go back to android.only thing I love about wp is live tiles.
    12-23-2014 09:14 AM
    Looks good but I still like transparent icons.
    12-23-2014 09:59 AM
    Joe Belfiore should have been sacked already with the Zune fiasco and he shouldn't be allowed to continue his career at Microsoft. Especially he should be allowed to infest a successful product with a failed product.
    But the problem with the Zune was timing & marketing, nothing to do with the product itself. The product itself was actually considered to be quite good but too late to the game. You can't pin that on Joe Belfiore.
    negative1ne likes this.
    12-23-2014 11:13 AM
    But the problem with the Zune was timing & marketing, nothing to do with the product itself. The product itself was actually considered to be quite good but too late to the game. You can't pin that on Joe Belfiore.
    I loved my Zune. It was indeed too late, but it was superior to the iPod of the time.
    12-23-2014 11:16 AM
    They said (at BUILD 2014 (first day keynote)) that it will use the same code of Office in Windows Store app.
    Does that mean (full) Office is coming to phones free of charge? Delightful!
    12-23-2014 12:11 PM
    I believe I read somewhere that this is just a screenshot of an app.
    12-23-2014 12:44 PM
    Well, like I said before. If Microsoft changes the phone's UI to match that of the Surface and of the desktop Windows 8 (or, in this case, Windows 10), I will be gone. I had to help fix a problem on my friend's PC and his Surface last night (printing and sound problems), as well as help my mother with her laptop, and I for one completely hate the design. It's unintuitive, and quite frankly, it's ugly. Very ugly in fact. That sleek subway-map design language from WP7 and WP8 is what drew me to the phone, Nokia's products and the snappy response of the UI kept me on board. If Microsoft wants to go in this direction, they'll lose me as a customer.
    I'm not sure what you mean by UI to match the surface and the desktop will drive you away. We all know that desktop is a bit different but the UI of surface is almost the same as WP. I'm a bit lost here so it is possible for you give us some examples with pictures?
    12-23-2014 01:02 PM
    Oh no it is going android way.If ui resembles android then I will go back to android.only thing I love about wp is live tiles.
    Closer to BB10, actually.
    12-23-2014 01:16 PM
    I dont like where windows is going. Now i cant even cut and paste where i want. I allready hate that i WP8 i cant copy any text that i am reading in apps.
    Ebuka Allison likes this.
    12-23-2014 01:26 PM
    I dont like where windows is going. Now i cant even cut and paste where i want. I allready hate that i WP8 i cant copy any text that i am reading in apps.
    The not being able to cut and paste is something they'll fix. That's just the crossing of metro and desktop not complete.
    12-23-2014 01:42 PM
    The not being able to cut and paste is something they'll fix. That's just the crossing of metro and desktop not complete.
    If you mean cut and paste in apps as shown in the video, I'm going to point out that that example was to show that copy and pasting could be limited by enterprises and such
    bsbharath1987 and Blu3V3nom07 like this.
    12-23-2014 02:54 PM
    You are right. But, you couldn't put Cortana menu in an app bar cause that's where the search bar of Cortana is so I can understand a hamburger in Cortana. But I don't see a point of hamburger in OneNote.
    Then you haven't used it on WP. The UI is pretty, but not all that good.
    12-23-2014 03:41 PM
    For the life of me, I can't figure out what the huge difference is between the Metro UI in WP and Windows RT.
    12-23-2014 03:43 PM
    I really hope W10 for phones has the black or white background and not the photo background like on the startscreen of W8 for desktop. Firstly the black theme helps battery life of amoled screens. Secondly live tiles cover the vast majority of a background photo. The point of live tiles is that they use the whole screen effectively, so of course they are going to cover it. I think the transparent tiles effect introduces in WP8.1 is a really nice compromise and I would be upset if they changed it to look like it does in that video.

Also note that early on in the video Belfiore said that someone asked him on twitter if he was going to do a preview of W10 phone that day and he said he was not going to. I don't think think this is what it will look like.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    12-23-2014 06:10 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by UI to match the surface and the desktop will drive you away. We all know that desktop is a bit different but the UI of surface is almost the same as WP. I'm a bit lost here so it is possible for you give us some examples with pictures?
    It's not really something I can provide concrete evidence for. But the Surface feels absolutely nothing like Windows Phone to me. The Surface is just Windows 8.1 on a tablet... It's clunky, unintuitive, doesn't feel natural, it makes it difficult to find anything... The classification and distinction between software and apps is just obnoxious and ridiculous. I just really dislike it.
    12-23-2014 06:16 PM
    It's not really something I can provide concrete evidence for. But the Surface feels absolutely nothing like Windows Phone to me. The Surface is just Windows 8.1 on a tablet... It's clunky, unintuitive, doesn't feel natural, it makes it difficult to find anything... The classification and distinction between software and apps is just obnoxious and ridiculous. I just really dislike it.
    Interesting. I got a Surface Pro as my daily driver. I liked it so much, I then got a WP (920). I have a 930 on the way, at which time I'll sell the 920.
    negative1ne likes this.
    12-23-2014 08:14 PM
    I hope they'll give us an option WHERE to place the wallpaper... Either ON the tile or on the back of the tile...
    12-23-2014 08:24 PM
    Considering both the xbox leaked ui and this, I think the final UI would give you the ability to adjust the opacity of the tiles, those tiles currently are not transparent, the final one i think will be.
    Heres an example of what it might look like
    http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/up.../11/IMG_39.jpg
    Im not sure if they would give the option to blur the tiles though
    12-24-2014 02:08 AM
    Can confirm, WP10 doesn't look like this
    12-24-2014 02:27 AM
    How many times does he say "in Windows 10 we're fixing that"?

Joe Belfiore should have been sacked already with the Zune fiasco and he shouldn't be allowed to continue his career at Microsoft. Especially he should be allowed to infest a successful product with a failed product.
    the zune music feature was one of the main reasons i bought,
    and still use in windows phone everyday.

later
    12-24-2014 09:57 AM
    Aww shucks...
    12-24-2014 10:10 AM
    Everyone needs to calm down and wait for January. If all goes wrong, that's when we rage on Twitter to @joebelfiore (the guy behind WP and vice president of windows too interestingly)
    dlalonde likes this.
    12-24-2014 10:25 AM
62 123