How to cancel installation of downloaded Win 10 TP update?

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It's the same general panic we saw when the first round of Insider rolled out, but magnified.

The funny thing is, I suspect that even those who are only curious and are risking their primary are all hitting Fast because, you know, "cool."

I'm curious, risked my primary primary phone and hit Fast ring not because of being "cool" but because I was curious. I want to know what is new, how it looks, how it works, first hand, not from videos, comments or blogs. I want Windows 10 to be better (it's good already), and when it comes out officially, I don't want to be like a cry baby complaining why it looks like this, why it works like that, so here I am, rushing to get these updates and provide my feedbacks. I'm aware that my feedbacks won't all be applied to the final build but at least I did try and voice out my opinions.

P.S. That's just for me. I don't know about others. Maybe they really want to be "cool". :cool:

PS2 I'm now reverting to 8.1 as I can't use it fast enough as it was installed on my primary phone. To others, good luck! :wink:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I am not sure what all the fuss is about.
Everyone was well informed that the Technical Preview is not for the faint at heart.

However I don't think it auto installs without your permission. You phone will prompt you whether you want to install now and if you select "not now", it wont install.

The problem is we over react to everything. Stay calm and just press "Not now".

This is what I did and it works perfectly(with minor bugs) for me on my L1020
1) Backed up everything on my phone (on WP8.1)
2) Hard reset my phone
3) After hard reset, did not restore from any back up.Set up as a new phone.
4) Download Windows Insider and signed up for fast ring.
5) Updated phone to 8.1 GDR 2
6) Then updated to WP 10 TP
7) Then hard reset my phone
8) Now, I installed all the apps I needed.

Phone works well with some minor bugs.

Some tips :
1) Camera
Microsoft camera does not work. So download Lumia Camera. It works perfectly. Alternatively, you can use proshot camera.

2) Pictures
You might find that recently captured pictures are missing. Do not panic. Use the File Explorer that is included in the installed apps and go to pictures folder. You will find all the pictures there.

3) Wifi/Mobile Data
Wifi and mobile data works after a hard reset. So ensure you hard reset after you install WP 10 TP.

Hope all these helps.
Sent from Lumia 1520 via Taptalk

LatitudeZ

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
If I use Storage Cleaner (originally intended to remove "other" storage space) to fill my phone with temporary files so that I have very little storage left, anyone think that it might prevent the installation from occurring due to low storage space?
As for looking "cool", that was not my original intention. I do intend to be a part of TP10 and provide feedback as this is my favorite OS after using iOS and android, but I am not ready until May comes along (this is a bad time). I did not know that it would force an installation upon signing up, but I guess that's what I get for being too hot-headed.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If I use Storage Cleaner (originally intended to remove "other" storage space) to fill my phone with temporary files so that I have very little storage left, anyone think that it might prevent the installation from occurring due to low storage space?
As for looking "cool", that was not my original intention. I do intend to be a part of TP10 and provide feedback as this is my favorite OS after using iOS and android, but I am not ready until May comes along (this is a bad time). I did not know that it would force an installation upon signing up, but I guess that's what I get for being too hot-headed.

That's the best comment of the century. Forced to upgrade. No OS or phone forces anyone to upgrade.

We humans have to press the "Upgrade now" or "Install" button. We make the decision.

Lol. Thanks for making my day by making me laugh like crazy.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You can only not install it and ignore the message. I had a similar issue with my Lumia 810 and PfD and Windows 8.1 -once that message is in the pipeline you can only install it to get rid of the notice. You're SOL otherwise...or install it and the revert to 8.1 again. BTW after I got an 830 with 8.1 I installed it on my 810 and have it as a back-up phone...still with the crappy Nokia Camera of old tho' -green hue with no solution.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
As for looking "cool", that was not my original intention. I do intend to be a part of TP10 and provide feedback as this is my favorite OS after using iOS and android, but I am not ready until May comes along (this is a bad time). "I did not know that it would force an installation upon signing up, but I guess that's what I get for being too hot-headed."

It is not automatic. You registered a developer account, installed an app, enrolled your phone to receive alpha-software and it is doing exactly what you manually chose for it to do. :p

alan61

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The only way to stop the update is to reset your phone. I installed Update 2 and then performed a full reset, Update 2 stays but the phone doesn't pick up any new updates :)

I had to do the same on my wife's 1520 also uninstalled the insider app

LatitudeZ

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
That's the best comment of the century. Forced to upgrade. No OS or phone forces anyone to upgrade.

We humans have to press the "Upgrade now" or "Install" button. We make the decision.

Lol. Thanks for making my day by making me laugh like crazy.

I wasn't even whining or complaining that it was Microsoft's fault. I already admitted that I made an impulsive decision to sign up when I should have waited until May. Im just seeing if there is any way around it, if not no big deal ill just install TP10 and then restore to WP8.1 and wait until May before joining again. What I was referring to "force" was the fact that it will automatically install on April 15th regardless of me hitting "not now" (obviously its not actually "force" because I signed up). Im not sure why you feel the need to make a condescending comment when I wasn't even rude about it.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't even whining or complaining that it was Microsoft's fault. I already admitted that I made an impulsive decision to sign up when I should have waited until May. Im just seeing if there is any way around it, if not no big deal ill just install TP10 and then restore to WP8.1 and wait until May before joining again. What I was referring to "force" was the fact that it will automatically install on April 15th regardless of me hitting "not now" (obviously its not actually "force" because I signed up). Im not sure why you feel the need to make a condescending comment when I wasn't even rude about it.

Well, I also didn't mean to be rude, but just spoke my heart out when I laughed. It was just a candid reaction. I love to help people.

In this case, you have already selected to download WP10, so nothing can be done. You have to wipe your device and rollback to WP8.1

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
W10tp automatically installed for me. It was nice to test the preview for a bit but I rolled back to 8.1 afterwards, I'm a bit sad I don't have gdr2 anymore as it was very useful to pin settings for me (and worked faster than apps that do this) but luckily my backup worked this time so it restored my phone automatically (my last lsrt use did not show me my backup and I had to restore manually... Which is what I was afraid would happen again).
Anyways, I did ask how to cancel the update earlier but I did sign up and registered on the windows inside app by choice. I provided feedback for the time I used the preview and I hope everyone contributes too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon