Why is my wifi so slow in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 and wifi problems

Hi, so I decided to try Windows 10 and everything is going well except the Wifi that is very slow and has very short range (in comparison to Windows 8).

Do I believe that it is a problem of the driver but can not find them, someone I could help? Do you can install driver for Windows 8.1 without problems (longer than the Intel graphics 4400 will not let me)?

My laptop is a Hp Pavilion 14 v013la

Thank you

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems a bit slow as well. I tested browsers, and some of the issue is Edge. Download speed on youtube for the same video at the same resolution is about 5x faster on Chrome.

Roffie

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem.

On my Chromebook and several Android devices, my speedtest.net results are anywhere between 10 - 12 MB down and 1.5 up pretty consistantly.

My HP 15-f010dx would get the same speeds when on Windows 8 and 8.1. Now that I upgraded to Windows 10 my download speed is no better then 700k. It is painful.

I tried to update the drivers from HP, but they say that all driver updates are through Windows Update tool. So I went through Windows Update and I'm 100% up to date.

I tried to manually download the latest drivers for Windows 8.1 and it won't install. Probablly it checks the OS version and freaks out when it is too high.

Suggestions?

Olivierus

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
he,

I have a hp pavilion x2 10-j000nd.
I just updated to Windows 10 and the only problem i'm having is also the slow wifi speeds.
At first i had 5mbs and now not more than 228kbs.
Bit weird that it is a hp like yours!
I have also a msi gaming laptop and i'm scared now to upgrade the machine to windows 10.

Anyone a idea how to fix this.

Last edited:

Louis Primus

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem on my HP Pavilion laptop. Wifi became unusably slow. I connected it directly to my router, and the speed was once again blazing. So I updated my network adapter driver, and that fixed things. Wifi is now what it was pre-installation. Hope this helps.

Tommy Skizzle

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing slow wifi as well after upgrading to windows 10 pro. I cannot get utorrent to get over 950KB/s and when I have utorrent running using that bandwidth, everything else is slow as well. Loading webpages, videos, etc. One possible thing for me is I'm using an old trendnet wireless adapter (tew-624ub) which doesn't have windows 10 drivers yet, unfortunately. That may be the reason at least for my slow speed. Windows is using 802.11n wireless lan card for the driver. Its like I'm capped at 1000KB/s.

Tommy Skizzle

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
So I installed the trendnet utility for my usb card in compatibility mode for Win 8 and it installed fine. It disconnected me from the Windows 10 wireless settings and I connected using the utility and instantly my download speeds went back to normal with utorrent and browsing while utorrent is downloading. Weird the driver is still the same default driver windows 10 used after install, but its working. My suggestion is try your wireless usb utility and connect using it. Seems to have worked for me.

Tommy Skizzle

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hazard - Your wireless usb device will usually come with software or if it didn't you can usually download it from the manufactures website. They will usually include a utility program that manages and monitors the wireless connection. The pics should clear any confusion, but I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. I just tried connecting using the windows wireless connection and my speeds were almost normal. Its still worth a shot though. I noticed a windows update today 8/5/2015 (KB3074678) not sure if that had anything to do with fixing it today or not. Let us know if you get it fixed or not. GL!

connections with trendnet utility.jpg

windows wireless connections.jpg

Sorry the screenshot captured both my desktops.

skotakollr

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
WTF? MS has a big issue with this. I have a dell 1545 with a broadcom b/g/n wireless card and I also tested a usb adapter that is an N class. They were all throttled and made me drop to 1- 3 mbs up and down I also traded out a g class wifi card and it was not any better, all dell equipment. I fixed the issue by reverting back to Win 7 my wireless is back to 22 down and 18 up which is acceptable. (it is verizon fios after all). So MS FAIL again. wont be updating anything if they wont let me use my hardware. may be migrating to Linux Ubuntu if this kind of crap keeps happening. FYI 8 and 8.1 had throttling issues also, I do not know if MS ever reached a solution for those issues.
Free and ****ty is not a deal. free and buggy that's different.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The drivers could already be on the system. I have a WNDA4100 dongle on my PC and Windows 10 likes to load a bad driver for it. If you navigate in to the manual driver installation for the WiF adapter try to load another one listed as compatible. Just choose the bottom most options until you get to a list of compatible drivers.

MS seems to have forgotten 5 GHz bands exist and that the 802.11ac and 802.11n exist.

My Surface 3 on Win 10 is the slowest WiFi device I have. I have 90 Mbps internet but the S3 doesn't seem to get over 50Mbps.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I installed the trendnet utility for my usb card in compatibility mode for Win 8 and it installed fine. It disconnected me from the Windows 10 wireless settings and I connected using the utility and instantly my download speeds went back to normal with utorrent and browsing while utorrent is downloading. Weird the driver is still the same default driver windows 10 used after install, but its working. My suggestion is try your wireless usb utility and connect using it. Seems to have worked for me.

Confirms with what I saw on the manual driver selections. Sometimes multiples of the same version are listed but on of them will work where as the others are slow and constantly disconnect. I was reporting that for a good part of the past year to Feedback.

Thiago Nugnezi

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem.
After trying many suggestions on the internet I found one that solved my problem. I took more than a week to solve but now I'm happy.
On my case the problem was the security wifi protocol. I was using AES and changed to TKIP. For me there is no reason to this to work, but solved my problem.
Hope it helps.

Ron Spring

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
The solution for me was to go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off "Location". My Wi-Fi speed is now consistent at the highest speed I am paying for and returns the same result on speed test as my wired connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2