Windows 10 preview on daily driver phone?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The latest build is still not acceptable for a daily driver in my eyes. The store is still far too slow and I've noticed data switches off unless you reboot to toggle flight mode. Hopefully the next build?

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a 635 as my everyday phone and tried almost ever Win10 build but had too many problems until 10512. I did a clean install of 8.1 using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, then installed Windows Insider which upgraded 8 then to 10.10512. After about a week my voice service acted up so I did a hard reset and haven't had and problems. This is the first build I've been able to sync my Gmail. Lets hope the next build does not go backwards.

Last edited:

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Been using build 10512 on my 640 since it was released.I upgraded and clean installed think the build is pretty solid.Its little things that annoy me.The alarm sometimes fails to go off. Weird things happen when I go to answer or end calls,phantom touches., default ringtones aren't very good.edge often reloads web pages randomly.Hopefully the next build will come with loads of fixes

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So I installed in on the Nokia 1520 again.
This time I got that dreaded glitch where the lock screen doesn't recognize your password!

I tried a soft reset or two and still could not get passed the lock screen.

So I fired up the Windows Recovery Tool and it had an error on the first try (that has happened before).
So the phone reboots when I unplug it and then the lock screen worked.

Since this is an upgrade and not a clean install, I see that I have Lumia Moments app installed. :)Mix Radio is right where I lkeft it too so that is good.

I don't want to do a clean install unless I have to because apps like Lumia Moments are not available in the store nor in my history.

Lumia Selfie is working too.

Good point you're making there TrueMetal. I'm wondering if I didn't cause my own reboot issue by not doing a clean install to this latest build. I went from 10166 to 10512. Ok, time to investigate. :) I miss my Windows phone.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well since doing a hard reset I've noticed one thing that semi bothers me but not a huge deal. When the screen is off and I hit the power key, it's very, very slow to turn on. It's almost like a slow transition that takes three seconds or more.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My HTC M8 seems to be handling this build ok. My 1520, not so much though. I'll carry my HTC Windows phone for a while.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I cannot even upgrade up to the latest WM10 build on my Lumia 640XL. It always says some update files failed so I ended up back on WP 8.1.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well. After doing an "upgrade" from WP8.1 to Wp10 to keep Lumia Moments I had trouble using the app occasionally anyway. It was hit or miss. So I did a clean install and naturally now I can't install Moments and a few other apps I like at all.

The old builds of WP10 had the option for the new and old store to get old apps but they took that away.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Also, does anyone know of a way to turn the facebook sound notifications off but leave on the banners etc?
So far in the WP10 settings there is just one single toggle that turns off all notifications for an app like facebook.
That sucks.

Wishallrah

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's a way to disable sound notifications for Facebook (this is as per W10M DP Build 10512):
All Settings > System>Notifications and actions. You should see Facebook listed here under, "Show notifications from these apps".
Tap on 'Facebook". Set the Notification Sound to "None". That's it. Now you will still get the Facebook notifications without sound.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am using build 10166 on my lumia 730.It is my only phone ans so far it is good.I really love the new design,colours,start screen,animation etc.the new action center is good and the videos app(Film &TV) is amazing.It is listing all my videos and u can view in complete fullscreen also.

don't use 10166... testing an obsolete beta means nothing.

and 10512 is way better.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I am using the latest Preview as my Daily Driver on a Lumia Icon. Just a few issues but none that have proven to be show stoppers. I'm loving it and can't wait for the Real deal that is coming soon!:smile:

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Have any of y'all had issues with Bluetooth? I see my Fitbit is paired but when I try to connect, it disconnects immediately. Trying to sync with the app is becoming a choir lol

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's a way to disable sound notifications for Facebook (this is as per W10M DP Build 10512):
All Settings > System>Notifications and actions. You should see Facebook listed here under, "Show notifications from these apps".
Tap on 'Facebook". Set the Notification Sound to "None". That's it. Now you will still get the Facebook notifications without sound.

At first all I could do was turn it all off (no banner, sound, vibrate etc) but now I tried again and if I click right on the word FACEBOOK it opens the other window where I can choose to just disable the sound, etc.

Cool.

I want the banns etc but I don't want to HEAR the dang thing beep all night

Aeosgames

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly enough one of phones boasted as the "Windows 10 Upgrade Eligibility Candidate", the Lumia 640, has some pretty show-stopping bugs on build 10512. I'm not sure if this is only me, but I did a hard reset after installing so it should be a pretty clean slate to test on.
First Ill give a little details, the Lumia 640 is an AT&T Go-Phone model with a Cricket SIM and a 16GB SD card.
Alright so let's cut to the chase:
Lock-Screen has about 3 second delay to show information which is very disconcerting.
Some days the battery life can last amazingly and still have battery left for a bit of morning and mid afternoon use the next day.
Other times, the battery life can go in 8-9 hours or less.
Using Camera from lockscreen is bugged out and opens up this sideways buggy camera view that is unusable.
Uploading photos to apps like messenger or other third-party apps does not work.
And here is truly the biggest bug I have found yet: The lock up.
Basically when I leave my home network area and head out, causing the phone to switch over to LTE or the current available data, unlocking the phone is impossible as the phone is completely frozen. This can occur for about 10-15 minutes at a time and is completely random but ONLY happens when I'm not inside the boundaries of my home network. During these "lock-ups" I can see that the Data bars are sending out some signal.
Other than that I use it as my daily driver and can live with the bugs until the next build is out.
Overall experience score for Lumia 640? 6/10.

Alvin Tan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone got a problem with GPS and Maps?

I can only get the initial location, but after than when I move, the GPS does not track my location. Refreshing the location does not work in Maps, and you can only close the app and start again, or wait 1-2 mins for it to refresh the location itself. Even then the location is not very accurate (varies from 100+ to hundreds of meters off). This has been happening for the past 3 builds and navigation is useless for me.

I'm using a Lumia 1520 running build 10512.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
But i heard 10512 have some serious issues compared to 10166.Especially problems in log in after a hard reset and so.

10166 maybe way better than 10512, but both builds have issues. Issues that are small for some people are showstoppers for others. This is test software, if you run that latest, you can report the bugs to Microsoft. I gave up on both as my daily driver, back to 8.1.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Guys,any idea of when we can expect the next build? I think they are going to suspend insider program before OCT to release the mobile OS.So should we expect more stable builds frequently?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon