Can my phone bleep every few minutes if I've received an unread text? No it can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I can understand the OP wanting a certain feature that was present many years ago. But you have to understand that with the advent of BYOD at the workplace, annoying notifications could be a source of smartphones flying out of windows.

But let me remind you, we had dumbphones with this feature for what - 20 years? - and we didn't have phones flying out of windows. The LACK of repeating notifications is a new thing.

Anyway, regardless of what others prefer, repeating notifications are important enough for me that their absence outweighs all the lovely benefits of W10P on my wonderful 1520, to the extent that I feel I have no option but to go back to Android. Even though you guys can't understand it, repeating notifications are a must-have to me in a mobile phone (I never said "critical" or mentioned my work) and I know that others miss them, too.

Let me just put it simply one more time: I don't want to have to keep checking my phone every time I'm away from it for a few minutes. And although you guys can't understand that, I can't understand how you can possibly live with a phone that does require you to check it every time you are parted from it. That sounds like enslavement to me.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
It's not some deal you are missing out on which will affect your job. There is no critical problem such as you seemed to suggest in the OP. It's just your habits...... your "urgency" does not seem all that urgent once you state it out loud. I really imagined you were getting in trouble at work by not responding quickly enough. You are talking about a whole other thing that has no dire consequences.

Don't be daft, I was just using that as an example. But actually, wouldn't you feel pretty bad if your mate had been left sitting there for two hours? It would seem rude, surely? So how do you cope with that scenario? You honestly keep your mobile on you all the time you're at home, just in case someone might text you? To the bathroom? When sitting in the sun with a book? Be truthful, now....

But actually you are moving the argument off-topic slightly by arguing that my definition of "necessary" is unreasonable. Of course I can work around the lack of notifications by doing what you do: carrying it with me at all times, and checking it after every bathroom break. But I don't want to because it would seem absurd and a significant intrusion into my freedom.

It really is no hardship for me to carry a phone. I'm not enslaved to it. It's for my convenience. Trust me, with what I do now, I could throw my phone in a drawer for a week and not miss a beat.

Only if you tell your workplace and your mates first. Otherwise how would you deal with a "You available?" message they might send you, which (apparently to them) you couldn't be bothered to answer?

When something is that important to you, you take care of it. Obviously, your phone and your SMS messages from your buddy are not really as urgent as you made out in the beginning.

Again - I do take care of it. With my Windows phone I take care of it by keep checking the darn thing every time I've left the room for a few minutes. With an Android phone I never need to check it - if there's a message waiting it bleeps gently every ten minutes to let me know.

Looking at it logically and dispassionately, which of those two options is the better one? Clearly the latter.

It's not that I can't "take care" of it. It's that taking care of it with a Windows phone is onerous and inconvenient.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That whistle notification on android drives me friggin nuts :)

My personal work (and home) policy is to keep it on vibrate most of the time.

We absolutely agree on that appalling Android whistle!! I'm with you on the vibrate thing, too. Far more discreet. Again, though, I want the vibrate to repeat, in case I miss it first time.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
A flashing LED would be the answer. Continuous notification and wouldn't annoy others.

Yep, almost as good. You still have to remember to look at the phone every few minutes, although the flash might well draw your attention. I find it completely bizarre that Windows phones don't have an LED for that very purpose. Needless to say, all other smartphones do, and many (admittedly not all) dumbphones, too.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
And let me just remind you guys: the statistics are heavily with me, not with you. The only phones which cannot provide a repeating flash, vibrate or bleep when there's an unread notification are Windows phones. All other phones provide that feature in one form or another.

So why are you arguing so vigorously that my need is vanishingly rare? Every other phone manufacturer on the planet, and every other phone OS maker, disagrees with you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still say it goes to habits.

You can work with what you have...Or not. You can switch or not. It all comes down to personal choices.

And again, as I stated at the outset of my participation in this thread: I'm not saying you should not have it available

*shrug* I'm not saying you shouldn't have it if you want, but it is also quite unnecessary IMHO.

My usage has nothing to do with it. What I do works for me and apparently it won't work for you. You wanted to talk about you and your issue. You also seem reluctant to assess any solutions and remain adamant that only a constantly repeating tone works for you. I can't supply that so I'll step out now...

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You also seem reluctant to assess any solutions and remain adamant that only a constantly repeating tone works for you. I can't supply that so I'll step out now...

Hey, no need to step out! In fact, although the repeating notifications thing is very important to me, the idea of using a wearable is something I hadn't considered and does come pretty close to meeting my requirements. So no, I'm not reluctant to assess the alternatives. OK, a smartwatch isn't as convenient as repeating bleeps, but it must come pretty close - a glance at the watch is much more convenient than walking into the hallway to check the phone.

I've just taken a look at the Microsoft Band - wow, it's big and ugly! Something like the Pebble would be much more suitable. I am definitely going to pursue this option.

My usage has nothing to do with it.

I agree, but it was you who first mentioned it. Meanwhile, I think I've made a good argument as to why Windows Phone/Mobile is unusual in not offering something that every other phone (smart or otherwise) offers in one form or another. Therefore it seems reasonable for me to moan about it and question why they've made such an odd design decision. Finally, I very much appreciate the idea of using a wearable as an alternative approach.

Edit: What a disappointment - Pebble doesn't support Windows Phone/Mobile. :unhappy:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But let me remind you, we had dumbphones with this feature for what - 20 years? - and we didn't have phones flying out of windows. The LACK of repeating notifications is a new thing.

So are smartphones as BYOD options for work. I didn't mention any other scenario, only workplace. There are still some businesses that don't allow phones of ANY type while an employee is on the clock. I don't care if any of my subordinates carry 20 phones on them as long as I don't hear so much as a chirp.

I get that you want this feature. I had a 1520 myself, excellent phone, but not every phone has every feature we want. My needs are different from yours and you may consider my needs/wants as silly or unimportant. It doesn't matter to me one bit but you need to understand that others may feel the same about your nitpicks. Is it enough of a deal-breaker for you to move on to another OS? Only you can decide that. If it is, do it and be happy with your choice. But coming on here and expecting everyone to agree with you is not realistic.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've seen many requests for a persistent alert feature on Windows phone. Usually it's from people who use WP for work reasons and get alerts and emails that that need attention. This is particularly true for people who are on call. They want something that will wake them up if asleep, or get their attention in a more persistent manner. The lack of a visual alert (flashing light), also annoys a lot of people, particularly those who have migrated from BlackBerrys.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
And let me just remind you guys: the statistics are heavily with me, not with you. The only phones which cannot provide a repeating flash, vibrate or bleep when there's an unread notification are Windows phones. All other phones provide that feature in one form or another.

So why are you arguing so vigorously that my need is vanishingly rare? Every other phone manufacturer on the planet, and every other phone OS maker, disagrees with you.

OP:
WP does not have this feature and it is bothersome for you - fair enough.
Android actually does not have this feature, but since there are a 1.6 million apps in the Play store, you can download one app and ensure that your needs are met.
iOS - I am surprised you didn't mention the little fruit stand from Cupertino? That too doesn't have this feature.

Just because dumb phones had this feature is not a really compelling reason to get it. The way people use smartphones and dumbphones has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Apparently all three major smartphone OSes today don't offer what you want by default and that indicates that the feature you want is not coveted by the majority of the users. So unless a lot of users clamor for this feature I guess you might have to give up your wonderful 1520 and get an Android device and download that app....or be open to a wearable or get into the habit of using the Glance feature on the device. Hopefully the newer WP devices will have the LED indication lights and that will help.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
OK. So is it possible that future windows phones will have led reminder? It is a shame that this feature is not available in WP.

LEDs would be nice. I got irritated by them on the Meizu M1 Note and the Xiaomi Mi Note Pro. I actually prefer Glance. But I guess everyone has their own preference.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, grow up. You think I'm wrong because I asked for a particular feature (a feature that I can get on every dumbphone ever made and every Android phone, I remind you)? I won't tell you what I think about you.

I did say no offense and you instantly took an offense...not everyone is out to get you!

I was just saying, you are asking for a phone to continuously beep when you are not around. That is not annoying to you, because you are not around, but it is 100% annoying to others, because they are going to be around your phone when you leave it on a desk and go off to an hour long meeting. ["But I wouldn't do that"...but someone would!]
I mean, I'd vote that all phones should include a sort of Treasure Tag so that when you aren't within 30 feet of it, it will not ever make a noise. The benefit of that is that once you get back to within, say, 10 feet it could signal that it got something while you were away. [I actually love that idea, haha]

Sure...you mention it would have 10 minute between beeps, that would help but someone would demand 5 minutes, or even 1 minute. That in itself is a slippery slope. I am extremely jaded to your idea because when I was in college I had someone leave their phone in my room, locked, and received a text, at 6 AM. Since I couldn't read it, it wouldn't shut up...for HOURS. Stupid flipping flip phones flipping making me flip out.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Your attempt at statistics based argument made me go and look these up for you....
First link is a brief synopsis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

Second link provides the entire book in pdf version
http://www.horace.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/How-to-Lie-With-Statistics-1954-Huff.pdf

Third link is a paper published as to why the book has sold so well in the last 50 odd years...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0QruB0mg5EcSQIAZA&sig2=hv1OOCM0OQ4yqUAbKYxz8A

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I might go a couple of hours without thinking to check the phone. Meanwhile my buddy might have left me a text asking if he can come round with some beers and he's sitting there waiting for me to reply.

Here is how this little skit would play out in my household....
I have to go and get the car washed and get a hair cut....I leave my fancy dandy Android phone in the house while I am out for a couple of hours....Meanwhile my buddy leaves me a text asking if he can come to my place with some beers and he is sitting at his place waiting for me to reply....my phone is going bonkers at my house due to the text that my buddy sent....meanwhile my spouse who is at home is going berserk with my phone going off its rocker decides that it is better for me to have a WindowsPhone like hers and a cold glass of water is better than a round of beer or two with my buddy and disposes off my little pestilence of a smartphone.....

Anyway that would be the scenario in my case, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo