The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-09-2015 12:35 AM
63 123
tools
    I think you're wrong sir and I'll tell you why: A monitor with peripherals that already has a PC plugged in that does not belong to you (most likely scenario according to your post) will have one major drawback - it does not let you continue continue your own work. Ability to just plug in your phone wherever is an awesome idea IMO.
    Have you ever heard about teamviewer? With the co-op of teamviewer+airplay/miracast the iOS/Android device get similar ability of Continuum without the SoC limitation ALREADY.
    10-02-2015 09:09 AM
    I don't think any OS has any single feature that could be called "killer". In most cases, a consumer looks at the whole ecosystem and makes a buying choice.
    10-02-2015 01:00 PM
    I don't see W10 having any killer feature. What I'm hoping for is that there will be enough stinging features that the sum of all the parts will kill you until you die from it.
    10-02-2015 03:08 PM
    Sideloading Android apps/games while enjoying Windows Phone smoothness, security and stability.
    10-02-2015 03:24 PM
    The tiles are closer, the ability to set a background picture and set the transparency of the tiles. This is purely from a aesthetics point of view. But this also allows you to get tiles that are easier to see the text on and work better for you.
    So functionally nothing new yet it's "killer". Also the argument that text on a solid colour would appear to offer greater clarity than transparency.

I don't think any OS has any single feature that could be called "killer".
    Every new feature on a new iPhone is described in that fashion though, "we don't need a bigger screen", fast forward "bigger screen it's killer". "NFC is useless", fast forward "We've got NFC AND IT'S KIIILLLEEEERRR!"
    10-02-2015 11:29 PM
    So functionally nothing new yet it's "killer". Also the argument that text on a solid colour would appear to offer greater clarity than transparency.

Every new feature on a new iPhone is described in that fashion though, "we don't need a bigger screen", fast forward "bigger screen it's killer". "NFC is useless", fast forward "We've got NFC AND IT'S KIIILLLEEEERRR!"
    But it's what we have that the competition doesn't. Same thing from windows 8.1 but improved. Just like ios improves features and they at least have a great user base that are positive about things.
    10-03-2015 09:01 AM
    Same thing from windows 8.1 but improved.
    I don't count decreased functionality and garish cosmetics as improvements

Just like ios improves features and they at least have a great user base that are positive about things.
    Comparing to iOS lemmings doesn't help any argument. The user base are told they don't need functions that aren't available and love them once Apple invent them.
    Tien-Lin Chang and michail71 like this.
    10-06-2015 02:53 AM

http://s28.postimg.org/bdx1jt4nd/wp_...51006_0001.jpg
    http://s29.postimg.org/6biquahmb/wp_...51006_0001.jpg

Comparing to iOS lemmings doesn't help any argument. The user base are told they don't need functions that aren't available and love them once Apple invent them.
    How about you give me Angela's contact and maybe I'll ask Microsoft to fix things up for you.
    10-06-2015 03:07 PM

http://s28.postimg.org/bdx1jt4nd/wp_...51006_0001.jpg
    http://s29.postimg.org/6biquahmb/wp_...51006_0001.jpg

You highlighted the biggest thorn in my side about WP10. WP8.1 had an amazing contact management system - nothing comes close. This has to be one of the worst design decisions I've seen made in software upgrades. There isn't a single thing gained or improved but much was lost and fuglified.

Contacts are the central piece of a system designed for communication.
    10-06-2015 05:32 PM
    You highlighted the biggest thorn in my side about WP10. WP8.1 had an amazing contact management system - nothing comes close. This has to be one of the worst design decisions I've seen made in software upgrades. There isn't a single thing gained or improved but much was lost and fuglified.

when they seem to use part time designers...this is what comes out...nothing is in place in this OS.
    10-08-2015 09:00 AM
    Continuum is a killer feature for sure. Unfortunately, I think it's the one feature that may end up killing this platform.

Think in terms of telecoms. Here you've been screaming for years about network congestion and limiting internet access via data buckets and paywalls. Suddenly, here's this new phone that literally transforms into a full blown PC. It could be the internet hub in someone's house with minimal effort, sucking up hundreds of GBs. Would that not terrify you as a telecom?

Look at it this way, and you start to see why none of them are knocking Microsoft's door down to carry these phones.
    10-08-2015 11:59 AM
    Continuum is a killer feature for sure. Unfortunately, I think it's the one feature that may end up killing this platform.

Think in terms of telecoms. Here you've been screaming for years about network congestion and limiting internet access via data buckets and paywalls. Suddenly, here's this new phone that literally transforms into a full blown PC. It could be the internet hub in someone's house with minimal effort, sucking up hundreds of GBs. Would that not terrify you as a telecom?

Look at it this way, and you start to see why none of them are knocking Microsoft's door down to carry these phones.
    Well, from what I saw during the event demo. I'm not impressed by the Continuum they shown. We know that only UWP can be used through Continuum desktop yet I was expected to be proceeded in what we have now in Windows 10 - a windowlized app taken part of the screen which makes you take full advantage to having a bigger screen, to access multi apps in the same screen. Instead, the Continuum launches and runs app in a way of wp8 metro up style which waste the flexibility of having a huge screen and drop the productivity to the level of Android tablet. If that's the case then the whole package(three cables at least, Continuum dock) is not more attractive than a simple android smart TV stick in terms of money or movability.

I really hope Continuum is more than what they got on stage but usually when you demo you show the best you got.....
    10-08-2015 12:50 PM

A friend of mine brought this up at the W10 launch event, the response from the MS guy was sort of 'no one likes contacts and I'm not really sure why it changed'.
    Last edited by SonOfDad; 10-09-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    10-09-2015 12:35 AM
63 123