W10 on L640

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a 640 XL, the phone I had before was the L930, which ran windows 10 perfectly, bit concerned the 640 XL only has 1GB ram and a lower spec processor, thing I loved about the 930 is that it was completely lag free on W10. So knowing how it performs on the 640 is interesting. The battery life on my old 930 was OK to good on W10, how is the battery life o the 640 XL.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
What problems would those be?

Well, for me, when I had .63 on my 640, sometimes my phone would just stop responding, and I have to restart it. Other times, the whole screen would just glitch up (screenshot), and I have to restart it. Those are just two of the bugs that made me decide to roll back to 8.1. And, yes, I did a factory reset after each update. W10m works most of the time, but people can't be under the illusion that W10m is safe to use as a primary device.

wp_ss_20160118_0001.png

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
do you tweak settings at all to help with battery? Changing background apps...turning off wifi NFC and locations when not in use? Brightness? I'm a heavy user and am making it through a full day. Let me know if I can help

Yes I turn everything off the only thing I leave on is Bluetooth and location because I use my lg tone infiniums all day. I turn NFC, VPN, location off in the privacy settings of some apps, I have all background apps off except maybe 4-5 apps, i have all email accounts syncing every 2 hours except my outlook, i have message backup turned off and still roughly 7 or less hours

I even flashed back to 8.1 Saturday and went back to 10 and still the same battery life

Sent from mTalk

RobsBrutal1

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes I turn everything off the only thing I leave on is Bluetooth and location because I use my lg tone infiniums all day. I turn NFC, VPN, location off in the privacy settings of some apps, I have all background apps off except maybe 4-5 apps, i have all email accounts syncing every 2 hours except my outlook, i have message backup turned off and still roughly 7 or less hours

I even flashed back to 8.1 Saturday and went back to 10 and still the same battery life

Sent from mTalk

Damn dude your settings are mirror image of mine. That sucks.. I have no suggestions

atst44

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I use .71 (My phone is updating to the new one right now) as my daily driver. I do NOT have another phone and I use my phone for work. I also have two kids in Daycare. I trust this Win10 enough to run it, I cant imagine an excuse to not run it. I DO NOT update as soon as others do, simply because I NEED my phone to work. Been great so far... (Lumia 640 Metro branded, but unlocked for TMobile for Wifi Calling and Band 12)

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a 640 XL, the phone I had before was the L930, which ran windows 10 perfectly, bit concerned the 640 XL only has 1GB ram and a lower spec processor, thing I loved about the 930 is that it was completely lag free on W10. So knowing how it performs on the 640 is interesting. The battery life on my old 930 was OK to good on W10, how is the battery life o the 640 XL.

W10 runs flawlessly on my 640 XL. No lag, crashes, etc. - very smooth for me.

I can't give good battery status as I'm not on my phone 24/7.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's back to resuming... resuming... A few apps open then crash like weather and mail. Could be the phone too, not enough ram, at least that's my thoughts on it.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, for me, when I had .63 on my 640, sometimes my phone would just stop responding, and I have to restart it. Other times, the whole screen would just glitch up (screenshot), and I have to restart it. Those are just two of the bugs that made me decide to roll back to 8.1. And, yes, I did a factory reset after each update. W10m works most of the time, but people can't be under the illusion that W10m is safe to use as a primary device.

View attachment 122122

What did you do to cause this? This isn't strictly W10m. You've got something else going on.

Even on my 635 W10m was pretty stable and has been for several builds now. Granted, the 512 ram caused some crashing every now and then and poor performance with Edge, but that was hardware induced.

The OS has been used as a daily driver by lots of people and on many devices and has been for months.

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
A few comments:

• I have a 640 and a few weeks ago suffered the same "broken screen" issue that was shared a few posts above.
    I had just recorded a video and was trying to play it back but instead of playback, I got a black screen with nothing on it. When I hit Back, it caused the screen to go all weird, just like that pictured. I closed the Camera app, and my Start Screen was similarly affected. Deeply concerned, I shut down. It was fine after reboot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was caused by lack of free storage space (I had <100MB free when I checked afterwards). I deleted a few things and rebooted again. Haven't seen issue again, though deleting images just taken in camera sometimes seems to hang on deletion (dots keep moving across screen, never ends).
  • W10M on a 640 is fine for daily use, no serious issues. There's bugs, and plenty of them but most if not all of them are minor in nature.
    My issue with W10M is the dozens of stupid little things that are either a step backwards, poorly implemented, missing wince WP8.1, inconsistent across components or core apps, or just plain broken. The OS as a whole has so many of them, and there are so many missed opportunities to WOW users that I simply am not impressed. Microsoft has set a low bar and they've met it. That is not the way forward.

3 of my biggest gripes:
    1) Edge browser: does not close tabs via the Back button (when there is no more Backs in History for that tab), like in WP8.1. I often notice pages not loading properly, and have learned first step of troubleshooting is to check the All Tabs area, where I see there are usually dozens of tabs open, most being tabs I thought I was done with. It's not only user unfriendly to make tab closing difficult, but the result is a performance drag, and an unnecessary inconvenience to close them as the All Tabs page is horrible.
    2) Edge browser: keyboard Word Flow (swyping) is broken in this app, as it often decides to refuse to accept the word you've just swyped, and just puts a space or nothing there instead. Unacceptable, this is a core app.
    3) I'm in Canada and use the EN-CA keyboard. Tap-typing and Word Flow (swyped) word suggestions not only suggest American-English spellings with a greater priority than Canadian-English spellings, but it often incorrectly "corrects" entered Canadian spellings by changing them to US-EN! This is totally unacceptable for Canadians and if Microsoft launches W10M on wide-release like this, they will be laughed right out of the country. Media reports will likely generate a, "Microsoft makes an OS for phones? Who knew, eh?" response on social media.)

That's just 3 examples of my daily "What were they thinking?! (Answer: they weren't)" face-palming moments, but I could go on for hours (not exaggerating, I've filed dozens of bugs in the Feedback App). WP8.1 had bugs and complaints and you would have hoped Microsoft would have learned from their mistakes - instead they've seemingly started everything from scratch, completely unnecessarily, and ignored everything the should have learned to date. Sad.
  • I would not recommend making a 640 with W10M your daily driver phone unless you have a memory card installed. At least not if you want to keep it up to date and eventually upgrade to the release version of W10M, and not if you don't want the phone to act strangely on you when you're super low on free storage, which you will be because of updates. I don't have a memory card in mine and always have to delete the 1 map I have installed and remove yet another app (or 2) in order for the Update that's available to be able to be downloaded and installed. I don't have much on this phone, really.
  • Storage and processor speed aside, I'd guess W10M works on a 640 as well as it's going to on any Windows Phone. It's solid.

Last edited:

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
W10 runs flawlessly on my 640 XL. No lag, crashes, etc. - very smooth for me.

I can't give good battery status as I'm not on my phone 24/7.

Windows 10 Mobile also run flawlessly on my L640XL and the battery life is superb.... Believe me I bought a 32GB SD Card just for games. And on my L520 I occasionally get the freezing of screen and unresponsive phone sometimes, but, pulling the battery and inserting it back always fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes