Hard reset before updating to W10M?

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is it better to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Mobile by first doing a hard reset on my Windows Phone 8.1 phone? I'd rather not do a hard reset.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but is it better to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Mobile by first doing a hard reset on my Windows Phone 8.1 phone? I'd rather not do a hard reset.

you could perform a ahard reset once you have updated the device and start afresh . :)

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Why not try out the upgrade without any additional steps, hard reset if needed and hard reset without restore if necessary?

It's out, it should just work :amaze:

edit: Also one should always check if phone has memory card or not and where images, music etc. stuff is saved to. Hard reset will wipe internal storage so back those up first. Hard reset will clean sensor core data (?) and app data (e.g. game progress, whatsup) that is not backed up to the cloud.

Last edited:

zeljkos

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hard reset after the update and do not, under any circumstances, restore from a backup

and whats the point then!? to lose all settings, appz, messages! f@ck Microsoft I am stuck with 107 and can not update to 164 due error whille updating
"some update files are missing or have problems. we`ll try to download the update again later 0x80073712"

kodakhk

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I do want to opt for upgrading direct on my Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual SIM.
But there is something wrong with the SD card during the installation.
Then, I hard reset the phone.

When I use the Upgrade Advisor, it tells me to WAIT...WTF

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Why not try out the upgrade without any additional steps, hard reset if needed and hard reset without restore if necessary?

If you are going to hard reset, I'd say do it all immediately after the upgrade to Windows 10, but I agree with Kimmo's sentiment that the reset might not be necessary.

I ran my Lumia 640 XL with Windows 10 preview for about 4 months without doing a hard reset. I never had any performance issues with the OS, but the issue I did have is that my Apps & Games storage used on the device made it very difficult to get the last two Insider builds this month. This was despite only having one app installed to the device that couldn't be installed to the memory card. I had to uninstall that one app before the system recognized that I had enough free space to install those two OS updates.

Last night, I reverted to WP8.1 using the WDRT, then followed the official upgrade path from the Upgrade Advisor app, then performed another master reset once I was running 10586.164. After updating and reinstalling all my apps, my phone's internal storage shows it has 1.5 GB more free space than before.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by zeljkos
Originally Posted by neo158
Hard reset after the update and do not, under any circumstances, restore from a backup

and whats the point then!? to lose all settings, appz, messages! f@ck Microsoft I am stuck with 107 and can not update to 164 due error whille updating
"some update files are missing or have problems. we`ll try to download the update again later 0x80073712"

Text Messages are stored separately from the apps and settings backup and that issue you're having, guess what it might just be the lack of a factory reset on your part😉

zeljkos

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Text Messages are stored separately from the apps and settings backup and that issue you're having, guess what it might just be the lack of a factory reset on your part��

I have few appz only, in past done few factory resets NONE help due different problem, Microsoft quality control is now like chines or asian/indian tech!!! pure BULL****!!!!
someone have same problem as me, he did factory reset and that did not help, so I will wait and blame M$

Ok tried factory reset on win10 no settings restore, still no go, same error
atm reflashing 8.1 will try from start, but I still think microsoft is company lead by monkeys after Bill left!
took me ~6h to fix it with 8.1 -> 10.xxx.107 -> factory restart -> update to 10.xxx.164
now sms/call log is gone :(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes