Lumia 950 or move to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not trying to start an argument, but having experienced this issue (http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...m-exposes-broken-microphones-lumia-930-a.html) with my Lumia 930 I have been offered a full refund...

So, i now find myself in a position to be able to buy a brand new phone. While I have totally loved windows phone, having owned a 920, 640, 930 plus persuaded family to get others, but I feel that things are petering out and maybe it's run its course...

I'd like to hear rational comments from people who have been in similar situations.

Also, i have an MS band, use Outlook e-mail and Onenote, so anything I do needs to work with those...
Thanks!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this is the end of w10m if that's what you mean. If anything I think that MS can push full-on with upgrading their current chosen phones and any others that will join the w10 family.

I would say stick to the low-end for now if you're not willing to spend a lot, but even if you move to android. Outlook/band and whatnot are still useable..

If you can get the 950 on contract go for it, but be wary that you might have to exchange a few times. Not everyone had a great experience with the very first phone they received. The xl variant has done better in that aspect, but there are still users who claim to have issues..

Might take MS a few more updates to actually iron out the big/small kinks

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is the end of w10m if that's what you mean. If anything I think that MS can push full-on with upgrading their current chosen phones and any others that will join the w10 family.

I would say stick to the low-end for now if you're not willing to spend a lot, but even if you move to android. Outlook/band and whatnot are still useable..

If you can get the 950 on contract go for it, but be wary that you might have to exchange a few times. Not everyone had a great experience with the very first phone they received. The xl variant has done better in that aspect, but there are still users who claim to have issues..
Might take MS a few more updates to actually iron out the big/small kinks

Thanks, that's useful to know... are there seriously crippling issues flowing around?

If I don't go 950, what is the best WP to go for at the moment?

Also, I have no idea where to start with Android... what are the best value phones?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, I have no idea where to start with Android... what are the best value phones?

The Android choices are many.
Android Central is a wealth of information about Android so it may be best to ask there.
I have the ASUS ZF2 and an ancient Sony Xperia Z1s myself.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I use both platforms on a pretty much daily basis, Lumia 925 running W10M is my phone and I have a Nexus 7 tablet. My thoughts:-

1. I'd check the latest news about the re-branded Acompli (sp?) apps that are now Outlook for Android, there were some pretty major security issues reported initially. IMO/E the GMail app is rotten for use with Outlook.com accounts on Android
2. I personally would not use any customised version of Android. Samsung have the biggest market share, and are better than most OEMs at patching, but still well behind native Android. Nexus devices aren't generally cheap though.
3. Whilst pretty much any app you might want is available on Android, a lot of them are pretty heavy on adverts if they are free. Not necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of, expecially as it can eat into mobile data.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I would look at the nexus 5/LG g3/Oneplus one or X..

But like Guytronic said.. Our friends over at Androidcentral probably have a better idea..

If you're sticking with WP and still looking for a phone, it would probably help us if you gave us a idea of what you want to use the phone for?

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Mostly I use the phone for browsing forums, email, taking calls getting news and sat nav in car. I play occasional games, but nothing high end really.
My biggest frustration with WP8.1 was the slowness switching between apps (esp WhatsApp) and the lack of support for some apps (Waze I use a lot but it's a million versions behind Android and now unsupported)

How do I know if an Android phone is stock Android or heavily patched as you mentioned?

Sent from mTalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Mostly I use the phone for browsing forums, email, taking calls getting news and sat nav in car. I play occasional games, but nothing high end really.
My biggest frustration with WP8.1 was the slowness switching between apps (esp WhatsApp) and the lack of support for some apps (Waze I use a lot but it's a million versions behind Android and now unsupported)

How do I know if an Android phone is stock Android or heavily patched as you mentioned?

Sent from mTalk
HERE for Android is still supported. It got updated earlier this week. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

Waze for Android got updated on March 9. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze

Any Nexus device runs stock Android. Moto devices also run stock Android.

All Samsung devices run TouchWiz.

If you want to compare stock Android with any OEM skins, you'd probably probably be best off stopping at a store and playing with various devices to see what you like or dislike.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Pls trade with me. Sick of Android.

I know having constant updates is 'cool' and all but those apps update 3 times a day! I get like 12 app updates everyday and sometimes it gets on my nerves. Many times(by many I mean 99% of the time.) those updates bring nothing new nor i've seen any fixes.

Homescreen/app list etc is the most boring thing ever, keyboards are awful, yes having option to choose which keyboard to use is good but it's very hard to find good one, windows phone/mobile keyboards are the best ones I have ever used.

App gap is slowly getting there. At first I was using snapchat etc. but they get old quickly. My gf got jealous of me liking girl pictures(girls that are my friends/childhood/classmates/friend girlfriends) so I deleted instagram account. I rarely check twitter and facebook, so social network life for me is kinda dead. The games I play are on windows and I rarely play them. I mostly use my phone for notes, calendar, browsing websites and watching videos on which Windows is 10/10 but android on the other hand... Constant ads, once I got an ad on my homescreen and I got all the apps installed from the store.

Basicly I regret getting android as much as I regret selling my old car which is one of my worst mistakes ever made.

All I can say - DON'T get fooled by the app gap.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6 but still love for Windows.

Last edited:

charlie2128

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I was the same but I left the L930 due to the apps I needed weren't there. I got a LG G4 which is a decent phone, has LG's OS. Which is a pain but the Nexus 6p doesn't have a great camera. I would go as far as the L930 has the best camera over the 2015 flagship phones.

I'm going to return to W10 as android has its on wee bugs. Eats battery, can sometimes freeze, lack of updates for security patch (Nexus phone do tho).

Android app store has everything but a lot are crap apps or just links to the website. W10 universal apps is already showing sign of bringing big name apps to the store and I hope in time with the IOS app bridge it's just going to get better.

You've got to do what's best for you, if I was you I'd go for the L950/ L950XL but that's because I went android and don't think it's as good as W10.

If you go android go Nexus as it's stock OS, cameras are fine but not great. As for a budget Lumia people have said the L650.

Let me what you go for and why etc. Just to hear a like minded persons point of view.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kbanes

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a full time Android user (Note 4 on ATT). I've tried Win phones twice, and returned them.

I bought a 640 this week just to give it another shot.

Win 10 is certainly a workable OS for me. While the 640 lags quite a bit, I assume that it is just underpowered, and that a 950 would be much smother and quicker.

The lack of apps will again force me back to my Note 4. Dropbox for Win just doesn't have the same functionality as the Android version. There is no ebook reader that comes close to Moon Reader for Andriod.

No need to dwell on banking apps.

I would probably move if I could find a good ebook reader. But I own the 640 and will fire it up every couple of months to see how things are going. I will probably replace the note 4 by the end of the year, so I can wait and see how Win 10 app development goes.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

Sounds like you would be good with a windows phone. I know the android users are trying to push yo Android but it doesn't sound like you are to unhappy.

The 950s are great phones. I just helped a few friends transition from android and iPhone and they love them. I'll be getting one myself eventually probably in a month or so.

Also look into the Lumia 1520 or if you want low end the 640/640xl.

I know the trendy In thing is for people to push android and what not on windows central, irony,but eh. I do recommend looking at windows phone options :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Where are you reading this?

Well I have been slightly guilty of that :p but not to push people off the platform. Just saying don't punish yourself and go test out the waters, keep your WP around so you can test out the waters and jump straight back in when all of the bugs that bugged you are fixed :angel:

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I finally took the plunge and bought a nexus to try android. At first I used it all the time, thought apps were all that, barely touched my windows phones.
I soon realized I bank on my home computer, i don't pay for anything with my phone and well, I didn't use social media as much as I thought. I was soon back using my 735 full time.
Funny but for me the grass wasn't greener on the other side and it only cost me $500 to find that out. Hope this helps.

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not a heavy apps user either which I think is why I've enjoyed Windows Phone.

But... I think it's time for a change...

My mate works for Sony so is getting me 40% off the Xperia Z5

Sent from mTalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm not a heavy apps user either which I think is why I've enjoyed Windows Phone.

But... I think it's time for a change...

My mate works for Sony so is getting me 40% off the Xperia Z5

Sent from mTalk
Good luck with it. I hope you like it. 😊

Please check out our sister site Android Central.

I'll close this thread now, since you've decided on a new device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes