Failed update, how to fix?

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I finally got my wife to update her Lumia640 to Windows 10 Mobile. She is a nester and was very weary of updating, worried it would be too big a change. Sadly: apparently there were errors, as many features do not work. None of her existing text messages or contacts carried over. I cannot add a new contact. I cannot add her outlook account to her outlook account list (her pop and school gmail account came in fine).
How can I fix this?
My son has the exact same phone, and he had no problems updating to Windows 10 mobile.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The text messages will only work if you had the 'SMS backup' enabled on the old phone before the upgrade. Contacts should carry over and work as those are typically stored in the outlook account but as you say you cannot add that, that is likely that problem there. If you login to the Outlook website you can hopefully see the contacts exist.

It is possible that a Reset and then a Restore from backup might be the best path forward. Alternatively, and before that, check for OS upgrades. I had problems on an upgraded L640 until all OS upgrades were applied after the initial upgrade to W10. It took about 3 upgrades and then a day of settling before things were all smooth. Actually, thinking back to that there was one account that didn't work at first but then did later after upgrading and updating everything.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The best way to make sure there are no issues is to install all the updates until no more are available. Then do a hard reset and sign in with your Microsoft Account while setting up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit