For Windows 10 Mobile users (What are you doing with your current device?)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Lots of people and companies run non-Windows. There are alternatives that are just as good in many situations, but I get what you're saying. It's their bread and butter, not mobile.

I tried not running Windows for a few years. It just wasn't feasible for the most part. While I could run Win7 VMs in VirtualBox or VMWare on Linux, there were too many issues. Especially as several applications refused to work and authenticate correctly under a VM.

But, yes. I spend close to $500,000 per year on Windows desktop, server, SQL Server, and Azure services.

Figure that I'm a smallish County department with only 800 FTEs and multiply that amount by all the larger organizations and you see their revenue from desktop and server far surpassed whatever could be had from mobile.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
With my current device (Idol 4s) ... I'm using it to take a pic of a game of Spin the Bottle to see what device I'll use the following week. :grincry:
WP_20170812_13_29_49_Pro (2).jpg

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Use my X3 daily. It is on fast ring currently 15240. My wife's Icon started having decreased battery life. She is using my 950XL DS that I abandoned when I got the X3. Still have my 1520.3 and use my 1020 as my travel camera. I plan on using my X3 until Microsoft releases it's "ultimate Mobile device" which I hope is a foldable phablet/tablet/pocket PC with telephony.

Last edited:

Lightning_Racer

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
My phone is a 650, upgraded from a 630 after I cracked the screen. These are the only cell phones that I have ever owned, previously getting away no cell phones at all, then with work flip phones.

I like the design of the 650 and W10M. I don't mind the fewer apps so much, or that there aren't new W10M phones out there except that it means that Microsoft isn't committed to making the experience a good one. I hate the number of bugs and usability issues: Mail not syncing and deleting emails that were deleted elsewhere, mail not counting the right number of unread as a result, photos not uploading to Onedrive for hours despite good WiFi connection, camera sometimes freezing with the "saving", Edge sometimes reloading itself when I'm trying to read a perfectly readable webpage until it blanks itself out and doesn't let me read anymore, and so on. You'd think that if Microsoft employees used W10M, these and other similar usability bugs would be worked out in a timely manner, but they sometimes persist for years.

I do appreciate some of the updates, like to Groove, but the usability bugs need to be fixed.

I'm not going anywhere. I don't have upgrade-itis. It's just a phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
With my current device (Idol 4s) ... I'm using it to take a pic of a game of Spin the Bottle to see what device I'll use the following week. WP_20170812_13_29_49_Pro (2).jpg
I recognize all but one of them. The one on the top left, is that a Motorola of some sort?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Moto X Pure Edition.

I knew it! I remembered that you had one! Did it work (I mean the whole spin the bottle thing) haha ?

Ha, related to the thread, I considered giving up trying to use my 650 for podcasts but I can't get myself to do it...so I'm still buying apps for 2 app stores, randomly. Every time I think I'm done, I decide to cave and buy an app for something so that I wouldn't give up? I guess I'm in denial. I don't mind my iPhone sitting without being turned on for a while but I feel bad about doing that to the Lumia, even though it's unlikely I would use it as a phone. :grincry:

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Here's what I'm doing with my X3. It is now a spare computer used for browsing teh interwebz and checking email when I want a keyboard.
0d5f1f4a141d32571b5472abfc188f1b.jpg

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung ATIV S hack device

Just use it to see how inside build went while using dynamic wallpaper to collect daily Bing pictures.

So far I haven't seen any significant improve in win10m in terms of functionality other than bug fix/performance improvement, those daily wallpapers are lovely thought.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
i did dig my 1520.3 out of a drawer to take a picture of the eclipse - made the mistake of updating it to the latest 10 mobile build, which broke 80% of my apps - even after a hard reset

rolled it back to windows 8.1, which apparently is no longer being updated or supported, took a couple of snaps with it, uploaded them to the cloud, switched off the phone and went back to using my iPhone 5s --a phone OLDER than the 1520 thats STILL supported and working on the latest IOS)

for shame Microsoft, for shame.

finally made me realize windows 10 mobile (and windows on a mobile phone in general) is dead .. done .. over with.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Weird thing is my chromebook is messing up when I try and come to the forums on this site. I had to go on my Windows PC to add this comment.

I have a Lumia 640 and I have been switching back and forth between it and a Samsung Galaxy S7, recently I started using Tap to Pay on my S7 and it may cause me to put the 640 away for good. I hate that I can't use Tap to Pay on my 640, that its only on the 950 and 650.

Also I have been using some apps that just are not available on Windows Mobile.

It is a real shame, because there are so many things that I like about the Windows Mobile OS. It just works so simply which is not the case with Android.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
i did dig my 1520.3 out of a drawer to take a picture of the eclipse - made the mistake of updating it to the latest 10 mobile build, which broke 80% of my apps - even after a hard reset

rolled it back to windows 8.1, which apparently is no longer being updated or supported, took a couple of snaps with it, uploaded them to the cloud, switched off the phone and went back to using my iPhone 5s --a phone OLDER than the 1520 thats STILL supported and working on the latest IOS)

for shame Microsoft, for shame.

finally made me realize windows 10 mobile (and windows on a mobile phone in general) is dead .. done .. over with.

What apps didnt work, if you dont mind me asking? My 1520 is on the fast ring latest build and the only thing I have been having problems with is my camera.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
It's my primary device. But I'm like a super edge case. All I really care about is texting, calendar and youtube.

I'm a masochist though because I put up with not even being able to send or receive mms due to my ****ty unlocked idol 4s not working properly on ATT. It's hard to know when to blame windows and when to blame the device/network connectivity. Sadly I have a blind loyalty to this platform.

I do have an android device that I use rarely for this app called whisper but that's it.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I still use my Lumia 640 along with my Galaxy S7. There are just some things that still work better on Windows phones. It is easier to text and easier to use in the car.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I use my Idol 4S as a daily driver for work and personal. I can get an IPhone 7 plus for free from my company, but continue to decline since I don't want to handle two phones and don't like Apple. Unfortunately, it is becoming more challenging with Windows 10 mobile since critical apps aren't available or not working properly. I travel frequently, so airline apps are a must. Luckily, I primarily fly United and that app still works. Not so for other airlines. I jumped ship from Android (jumped onto sinking ship) in February 2017 and haven't looked back. I prefer Windows 10 over Android or IOS, so I will hang on for as long as possible. I'm considering switching to a 950XL because my Idol 4S is becoming unstable at times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes