09-14-2018 10:49 AM
72 123
tools
    Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

"Show Microsoft the demand for the Surface Phone or Andromeda!"
    07-13-2018 03:32 PM
    Does it have phone capabilities?
    07-13-2018 06:51 PM
    Does it have phone capabilities?
    Yes, that has been confirmed several times. Sign the petition! Let's see Microsoft we want the device.
    07-14-2018 05:42 PM
    Yes, that has been confirmed several times. Sign the petition! Let's see Microsoft we want the device.
    Microsoft has said telephony capabilities. They have also said it is not a phone. Telephony could just be the ability to make calls over LTE.

Also, no petitions in business decisions don't matter. Maybe if 5÷ million signed it, but even then I doubt MS would care. Last word I heard the potential high cost of manufacturing is a big challenge.
    07-15-2018 01:55 AM
    Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

This has already been shared in another thread. Even so, despite all the signatures, I am not sure MS will care. Sadly.
    the_moesiah likes this.
    07-15-2018 05:02 AM
    I'm surprised that the existence of the petition isn't more widely known on Windows Central. Certainly mass media doesn't care. $1,000 phone times 15,000 people could add up. I would certainly buy two.
    07-15-2018 08:59 AM
    I'm surprised that the existence of the petition isn't more widely known on Windows Central. Certainly mass media doesn't care. $1,000 phone times 15,000 people could add up. I would certainly buy two.
    Even if all 15,000 signed it that wouldn’t be enough. You would need a million or more to get their attention.
    Most people here know about it but many know it won’t matter.
    07-15-2018 09:22 AM
    Even if all 15,000 signed it that wouldn’t be enough. You would need a million or more to get their attention.
    Most people here know about it but many know it won’t matter.
    Yeah, I have to agree. Microsoft isn't in the business of making devices for a small number of hardcore fans. Not a very cost effective venture. It's apparent that their research department has deemed this project to be a dead end.
    07-15-2018 10:41 AM
    This has already been shared in another thread. Even so, despite all the signatures, I am not sure MS will care. Sadly.
    I see, my bad, I tried lookin for one but couldn't find it. I don't like making repeat threads, I know how annoying they can get.

Last word I heard the potential high cost of manufacturing is a big challenge.
    That's what I expected, I mean this type of revolutionary hardware is bound to cost a lot to make due to it being new and there not being the manufacturing infrastructure for it.

You would need a million or more to get their attention.
    Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with you, hopefully the petition continues to grow and gets someone's attention at Microsoft.
    07-17-2018 08:27 AM
    One of the problems Microsoft is facing is cost. I have no idea why anyone is thinking that this device will cost $1000. This is a mini full Windows 10 device using a new very expensive screen. I would be shocked if the cost is under $1,500 and likely closer to $1,800. I am sure MS is trying to determine if there is a market for a device at this price point.
    07-21-2018 12:27 PM
    This doesn't matter. Even if Microsoft recognizes the petition and releases Andromeda, it will cancel it all after 12-18 months because of failed marketing and brand recognition...
    mvierling likes this.
    07-21-2018 02:44 PM
    The petition is ok in theory but inconsequential in reality.MS is done creating products just because it can. It must move the needle, it must fit all or have a substantial niche that is willingly to buy into it to succeed. This MS is making money not losing it. When it releases products they MUST make sense and they cannot be betas anymore.
    Andromeda represents MS's chance to get it right the first time, to be at the forefront of the next thing and to re-enforce the Surface brand. Ultimately it will likely be released like the Surface Go; towards 2 markets (consumer and prosumer/enterprise) at once to gain success in one or both arenas.
    Never before has an unconfirmed (until recently) and unreleased product united so many enthusiasts....and inspired so many naysayers and 'doesn't make sense' commenters (see professional authors here as well). This is part of the ACPC era, the ultra mobile part. The petition shows support, but would never the current MS to release it, especially as it is. MS needs to lead with a new Surface product again and get it right on version one. We should all want one on day one, be less than excited about the price, but fall in love with it once its in our hands and become indispensable after a week of use.
    07-21-2018 02:48 PM
    I'd say it's more of the opposite. Creating more and more hype for it only increases the pressure on MS to release a better device, increases expectations of it. Therefore if they can't get it perfect, they won't release it. If it's a little known thing that only a few dedicated fans will grab as they refine it, then cool. Everyone knows how relentless tech fans are. And anything sub par in the hands of more people will only likely bring bad news their way. Easier now for them to cancel it and put up with that criticism than have it out there bringing in multiple criticisms. Apple can get away with that kind of crap. No one else can unfortunately.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    07-21-2018 02:49 PM

CrowdFunding is worth a try!
    07-21-2018 03:02 PM

Yes it will make the difference, will make them cancel it. 15k? just the proof there are not enough people interested in it.

https://twitter.com/donasarkar/statu...418476034?s=17
    the_moesiah likes this.
    07-21-2018 03:05 PM

Remember, the name Cortana stuck because of a petition. It was a mere codename and they were trying to find a real name.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    07-21-2018 03:50 PM
    I sure hope it doesn't make a difference (although I signed it). Last time MS strung along a doomed product we ended up with Windows phones, lost jobs and billions of corporate dollars down the drain.
    07-21-2018 05:29 PM

If Microsoft thinks that Surface Phone or Andromeda will change the way people use their devices, then and then only they should release it to masses. If they release with no apps, just new kind of live tiles that we saw in concepts before, and a third place in market, then they will fail again.
    And yes, Google is also in competition. They are moving to ARM based laptops too. They have successful Android apps on Chrome OS. They will get serous Linux support too. And also same problems that Microsoft faces like recompile Linux apps on ARM devices. They will be the one who want Andromeda to fail.
    07-22-2018 12:03 AM
    It won't happen, MS have made a ton of money without any 'phone' device available, this mythical device is just vapourware. They don't need it, users don't 'need' one but a few people may 'want' one just for the sake of wanting one because it's MS.
    07-22-2018 02:03 AM
    Would I sign a petition? Let's see...

People bought actual devices made by Microsoft, as in by spending actual hard earned money, and far more than 25000. If that could not convince them to keep Windows Phone or Band alive, then is a mere petition enough to keep a project alive should Nadella chooses to kill it?

As a consumer, I do not, neither does anyone else, have any need, duty, or responsibility to convince Microsoft or any other company to make anything. It's their job to convince us to buy something after they have made one.

So no, I'll not be signing any petition.
    07-22-2018 02:27 AM
    I signed the petition as Andromeda will really help make me and my colleagues more productive, right now the ngo I work for uses laptops to register basketball players who are attending community games.

I need a touch screen device with pen support that I can carry with me, has exceptional battery life and can make phone calls.

Right now, I have to carry my laptop and phone, since the tablet I have is an android one it throws off my work flow completely. I don't need legacy applications on my tablet as I have my laptop for that. But i find I am using my windows phone for most of my work. But since Edge is clunkier than a snail stuck on molasses it's a frustrating experience.

Especially since the ngo uses google suite of apps. With Edge, they are as functional as using a sieve to pour soup instead of a ladel.

With andromeda I won't need to carry my bulky 17inch laptop to community games. I need the screen real estate when back in the office for multitasking. With pen support I'd be able to sign up more players for community games. Also pen support would make drafting up the GDPR policy soooo much easier.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 08-02-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: removed an "a"
    07-22-2018 04:22 AM
    I signed too. Will it hurry MS along in getting back into some form of Mobile? I don't think so, but it does show the level of interest and support in the device, I've recently been to the following MS conferences "Future Decoded", "Bing Insiders" and "Dev Insider Tour", "SQL Bits", I have never seen so many windows phones (especially at future decoded).
    The most asked question at these events has been regarding mobile and MS future plans.

MS already know there's a lot of geek support for Windows Mobile, this petition shows there's interest outside the core geek fandom. as a glimmer of hope at the "Dev insiders Tour" Teams for non business organisations was asked for (and supported by the audience) and this has now been released, so MS is listening.
    GraniteStateColin likes this.
    07-22-2018 05:23 AM
    it's like Microsoft never learns. if they want to do mobile, I think they should focus on an Android device. I heard there's rumors that's what they're doing, but I hope theyre true. I know they could make an ultimate Android phone, just how they designed their windows phones. when i look at all of their phones, I feel like the hardware is ahead of its time (lumia 1020, 950xl, 1520). however, the software could have been a lot better. it was honestly the lack of apps and its support, and the underwhelmingly, poorly designed OS that didn't not sit well with the consumer. it's like the team didn't even try to compete with apple and Android. I remember all of my lumias (1020, 900, 950xl), including my Alcatel idol, infested with systematic bugs. ): the only way I see surface Andromeda gaining popularity for non-business consumers is if it's running a Microsoft version of Android, like Samsung did. but obviously that won't happen and doesn't make any sense to me since I would expect a windows device, with Andromeda having been designed for business.
    07-22-2018 06:31 AM

No I don't think it will be effective at all. If anything, I think the 15k signatures is more reason for them NOT to release it. This was more of a confirmation for them that there isn't much interest/demand for the device.

Maybe it's just me but a petition for mobile devices should be up there in the few hundred thousand digits range ...15k is really nothing and out of the 15K maybe 50% of those will actually purchase the device if not less. Keep in mind we also don't know anything about it and we haven't even seen the final look, if the retail version doesn't look "good enough" for some of these 15k signatures, the number of buyers is going to be even less than 7500k

At the end of the day, Microsoft will either choose to release it or not and I don't think any petition will convince them since they know what they are targeting and moving towards. If Microsoft really wanted to listen they would have done so when they had a larger userbase, which spoke more than a petition ...and they so they would have kept the momentum going at the peak of Windows Phone/Mobile while continuing to work on their future agenda, without losing it's consumers/fans.

So in conclusion, if MS didn't listen to numbers it actually had (which is usually more reliable than a petition), then I doubt they will care for any petition, let alone 15k.
    07-22-2018 08:14 AM

No
    07-22-2018 08:36 AM
72 123