Andromeda Device Petition

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that has been confirmed several times. Sign the petition! Let's see Microsoft we want the device.
Microsoft has said telephony capabilities. They have also said it is not a phone. Telephony could just be the ability to make calls over LTE.

Also, no petitions in business decisions don't matter. Maybe if 5÷ million signed it, but even then I doubt MS would care. Last word I heard the potential high cost of manufacturing is a big challenge.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that the existence of the petition isn't more widely known on Windows Central. Certainly mass media doesn't care. $1,000 phone times 15,000 people could add up. I would certainly buy two.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised that the existence of the petition isn't more widely known on Windows Central. Certainly mass media doesn't care. $1,000 phone times 15,000 people could add up. I would certainly buy two.

Even if all 15,000 signed it that wouldn’t be enough. You would need a million or more to get their attention.
Most people here know about it but many know it won’t matter.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Even if all 15,000 signed it that wouldn’t be enough. You would need a million or more to get their attention.
Most people here know about it but many know it won’t matter.
Yeah, I have to agree. Microsoft isn't in the business of making devices for a small number of hardcore fans. Not a very cost effective venture. It's apparent that their research department has deemed this project to be a dead end.

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
This has already been shared in another thread. Even so, despite all the signatures, I am not sure MS will care. Sadly.

I see, my bad, I tried lookin for one but couldn't find it. I don't like making repeat threads, I know how annoying they can get.

eshropshire said:
Last word I heard the potential high cost of manufacturing is a big challenge.

That's what I expected, I mean this type of revolutionary hardware is bound to cost a lot to make due to it being new and there not being the manufacturing infrastructure for it.

TgeekB said:
You would need a million or more to get their attention.

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with you, hopefully the petition continues to grow and gets someone's attention at Microsoft.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the problems Microsoft is facing is cost. I have no idea why anyone is thinking that this device will cost $1000. This is a mini full Windows 10 device using a new very expensive screen. I would be shocked if the cost is under $1,500 and likely closer to $1,800. I am sure MS is trying to determine if there is a market for a device at this price point.

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't matter. Even if Microsoft recognizes the petition and releases Andromeda, it will cancel it all after 12-18 months because of failed marketing and brand recognition...

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The petition is ok in theory but inconsequential in reality.MS is done creating products just because it can. It must move the needle, it must fit all or have a substantial niche that is willingly to buy into it to succeed. This MS is making money not losing it. When it releases products they MUST make sense and they cannot be betas anymore.
Andromeda represents MS's chance to get it right the first time, to be at the forefront of the next thing and to re-enforce the Surface brand. Ultimately it will likely be released like the Surface Go; towards 2 markets (consumer and prosumer/enterprise) at once to gain success in one or both arenas.
Never before has an unconfirmed (until recently) and unreleased product united so many enthusiasts....and inspired so many naysayers and 'doesn't make sense' commenters (see professional authors here as well). This is part of the ACPC era, the ultra mobile part. The petition shows support, but would never the current MS to release it, especially as it is. MS needs to lead with a new Surface product again and get it right on version one. We should all want one on day one, be less than excited about the price, but fall in love with it once its in our hands and become indispensable after a week of use.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd say it's more of the opposite. Creating more and more hype for it only increases the pressure on MS to release a better device, increases expectations of it. Therefore if they can't get it perfect, they won't release it. If it's a little known thing that only a few dedicated fans will grab as they refine it, then cool. Everyone knows how relentless tech fans are. And anything sub par in the hands of more people will only likely bring bad news their way. Easier now for them to cancel it and put up with that criticism than have it out there bringing in multiple criticisms. Apple can get away with that kind of crap. No one else can unfortunately.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

"Show Microsoft the demand for the Surface Phone or Andromeda!"

Yes it will make the difference, will make them cancel it. 15k? just the proof there are not enough people interested in it.

https://twitter.com/donasarkar/status/1017908928418476034?s=17

anon(9632633)

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I sure hope it doesn't make a difference (although I signed it). Last time MS strung along a doomed product we ended up with Windows phones, lost jobs and billions of corporate dollars down the drain.

bombercat

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
Hey folks, I came across this petition for the Andromeda Device to be released, it has over 15k signatures so far.

Do you think this will be an effective strategy? Will it impact Microsoft's decision on the device at all? Will you be signing it?

"Show Microsoft the demand for the Surface Phone or Andromeda!"

If Microsoft thinks that Surface Phone or Andromeda will change the way people use their devices, then and then only they should release it to masses. If they release with no apps, just new kind of live tiles that we saw in concepts before, and a third place in market, then they will fail again.
And yes, Google is also in competition. They are moving to ARM based laptops too. They have successful Android apps on Chrome OS. They will get serous Linux support too. And also same problems that Microsoft faces like recompile Linux apps on ARM devices. They will be the one who want Andromeda to fail.

Brian2014

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
It won't happen, MS have made a ton of money without any 'phone' device available, this mythical device is just vapourware. They don't need it, users don't 'need' one but a few people may 'want' one just for the sake of wanting one because it's MS.

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Would I sign a petition? Let's see...

People bought actual devices made by Microsoft, as in by spending actual hard earned money, and far more than 25000. If that could not convince them to keep Windows Phone or Band alive, then is a mere petition enough to keep a project alive should Nadella chooses to kill it?

As a consumer, I do not, neither does anyone else, have any need, duty, or responsibility to convince Microsoft or any other company to make anything. It's their job to convince us to buy something after they have made one.

So no, I'll not be signing any petition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3