Look how the Android community is embracing Windows 10!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that developers will be interested in creation of new WP apps or portion of applications from android.
Well Duh. Professional developers aren't interested in making Android or iPhone apps either. They are interested in making money from any app whether it is Android, iPhone, Windows, you name it. Income = (income from each app installed * # of apps installed) - app development costs. If converting an Android or iPhone app to Windows costs 5% what it took to create the app in the first place and there are more than 5% as many Windows users (phone, PC, etc) for that app, the Windows version of the app will be the most profitable.

Its not like developers go to the grocery store and the clerk asks them to prove they didn't earn the money making Windows apps. Professional developers will only care about how much they make for x amount of effort.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well Duh. Professional developers aren't interested in making Android or iPhone apps either. They are interested in making money from any app whether it is Android, iPhone, Windows, you name it. Income = (income from each app installed * # of apps installed) - app development costs. If converting an Android or iPhone app to Windows costs 5% what it took to create the app in the first place and there are more than 5% as many Windows users (phone, PC, etc) for that app, the Windows version of the app will be the most profitable.

Its not like developers go to the grocery store and the clerk asks them to prove they didn't earn the money making Windows apps. Professional developers will only care about how much they make for x amount of effort.

And it's an untapped market with less competition for next to no cost. There can be money made getting there early.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It's difficult... When you get the Store manager in a phone store hating Windows mobile, no matter what happens, the standard consumer will get duff information.

anon(9236402)

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
It's difficult... When you get the Store manager in a phone store hating Windows mobile, no matter what happens, the standard consumer will get duff information.
I went into a Verizon store the other day to ask them if they would be supporting the WP 10 upgrade on their phones. He had no idea so he asked his boss who still couldn't give a definite answer. I told him I have the Icon and he acted like he had never heard of it.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm rather disappointed everyone is still so app happy. What about that cloud thing everyone yacks about? I would have thought by now everything on your phone would be moving towards browser-based web functionality instead of having to download, maintain, and utilize functionally deficient apps. There is almost never an app that beats a full-fledged website for functionality, and with responsive design more and more sites are getting very usable on phones. I think that is the real future--almost everything running from the web.
"The cloud" isn't (entirely) about web apps. It's more about not making people sync their data all over the place. A lot of it is also being pragmatic about how you let users get to their data. Sometimes, that means a responsive web app. Sometimes, that means an app.

For example, I don't want to have to be connected to add/view/edit my to-do list. I want that info stored "in the cloud" so that I don't have to think about getting it between my phone and my desktop, though. If I put my phone into airplane mode, then do an update to my list, I should understand why it's not reflected on the desktop, though.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1 I went into a Verizon store the other day

2 to ask them if they would be supporting the WP 10 upgrade on their phones.

3 He had no idea so
4 he asked his boss who still couldn't give a definite answer.

5 I told him I have the Icon and he acted like he had never heard of it.

1 & 2 - you went to the wrong place, and asked the wrong people. they don't know, or care, about windows, iphone, or android FUTURE software versions. they want to SELL YOU A PHONE today, and get you on contract.

3 & 4 - no surprise

5 is easily explained by marketshare:
those sales people sell android/ios 15-20 times a day.
they sell windows phone 5 times a week

the huge majority of devices they see are the iphone (maybe 3 different models) and the galaxy (maybe 2 models), while windows phone is only seen once a day. familiarity sets in pretty easily, and the windows phone just isn't hitting enough receipts to get their interest.

Stefan Falls

May 16, 2015
Visit site
So I'm loving W10. I've been using it since November and don't have much to complain about. I love how they have embraced many of the Linux features that make computing easier and more productive.

I recently upgraded my Android phone and went with a Moto X (2nd gen), simply because MS isn't quite there in regards to the mobile platform. Two years from now, who knows. I might actually jump ship (but it'll take a lot)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the questions remain whether or not apps that have no use on desktop will be available or not.

Nobody will use banking apps on their desktops, so will the banks be interested or not?

Games will probably be available, since those would be popular on desktops, tablets and phones.

Haven't read all the responses yet, but on the contrary... I would gladly welcome banking apps on desktop rather than web sites! Why? Same reason I like the mobile app for Chase-- remote deposit. If I can do that by app, I'd go for this in a heartbeat.

That said the reality is that with the new functionality of modern apps, it's clear that MSFT wants them to replace desktop apps over time.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
As it was mentioned, not everyone has fast internet. Not to mention those people that either go to areas or transit areas that have NO cell connectivity.
Yes, it still happens, but there are plenty of places that do not have cell or internet connectivity. Until there is universal coverage in every nook and cranny of the world, there will still be a need for "apps".

No internet => no web app => local app wins.

Wait, what? If the app is replacing the websites functionality then how is it pulling information without internet?

If I want to deposit a check, how does a banking app accomplish that with "no internet". If I want to check the score for my favorite team, how is the app with no internet going to retrieve it?

What about the latest article on Windows Central...? How does this work without any info? A game might work offline but that's about it.

Last edited:

markANTHONYgb

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for late reply :D
I've tried to persuade them that it IS worth it. I mean with a universal app they should have access to Windows desktop users, Windows tablet users, Windows Phone users and Xbox Users. I'm not sure why they don't see this as a substantial user base. They do have a web version, so desktop users are catered for but not the others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes