Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I REALLY like W10 on my desktop. It's great. But for my tablet, W10 fails. I'll be rolling back to 8.1 until they fix some issues. There are some that bother me (vertical scrolling opposed to horizontal) which will never be changed and that is too bad....

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even though I got kind of burned on my SP2 with Win10 I tried it on my desktop. Even did a clean install. It works mostly fine with one big caveat. All my games crash to desktop within 5 minutes. Recent games that worked perfectly in Windows 8.1. It must be some kind of graphics driver issue (GTX 460), but I've updated everything via NVidia GeForce Experience. Even clean installed a set of drivers. Gaming is (was) at least 1/3 of my desktop use. Sigh. I don't know if it's NVidia or MS issue but I do know that I'm definitely having less fun on Win10.

Greg B

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm a desktop/laptop user with 2 machines at home, both non-touch that were running Win 7. I let one of them upgrade itself to Win 10 last weekend. I will give MS credit for making the upgrade process relatively painless and reasonably quick compared to some others in the past. The result is not horrible but I can't say I like it much, at least not yet.

I was very comfortable with Win7 and skipped the Win8/8.1 experience because of poor user feedback and the fact that it seemed to be change for the sake of change if you were using a non-touch machine. I was hoping Win10 would extend the life of my machines until they needed to be replaced. I wasn't looking for any extra features. Right now I'm not sure if it is worth the pain to upgrade the other machine after the experience with the first one.

My main issues were annoyances rather than failures. Screen fonts were very blurry after the upgrade. I was eventually able to get this to an acceptable level by going into ClearType (after a reboot as it would not let me go there at first) and going through the 6 screens of eye charts. One thing I am still struggling with is the entire issue of Windows password versus MS Account password when waking the machine from the screen saver. I had a MS account after I bought Office online but never used it for much. Now W10 wants that (much longer) password every time I go back to the upgraded machine and it is in screen saver mode. Annoying. I don't know what the implications are for turning that off or even if I can.

I find it is slower upon reawakening. I am assuming it is syncing or otherwise communicating with somewhere to cause that but again I don't know what happens if I try to change that behavior, or even if I can.

Cortana is deactivated, which is a disappointment. I am in Canada and do not understand why we are not supposed to use it. I gather you can reset your location to the US to address that, but then you can't buy anything using your MS account. Annoying.

As others have noted, the look of the dialog boxes is very plain and a step backwards. Minor but annoying.

I may be missing something but it appears that there is no native help function included in Win10. I tried to figure out some of this by using the function in the taskbar to search for assistance and it took me to a browser screen with Bing results (I don't want Bing for anything) that were largely from non-MS sites. Again, maybe I am missing something.

I have no idea how to use most of the new things that are there, such as the apps that appear when you click on the start menu. I had hoped to find some sort of detailed how-to documentation somewhere but so far, no luck.

I am confused and irritated enough that I am pondering a rollback to Win7. I don't hate it, but it is new and different enough for me to feel uneasy with it.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Another gripe. Is there a way to annotate/draw on PDFs with the Surface pen in Windows 10? I'm thinking not since PDFs open by default in the browser? This OS is nonsense. lol

Glad to have 8.1 on my SP3 still.

tonyr6

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
One thing I hate about Windows 10 and I will soon ditch it the automatic installation of buggy drivers Microsoft pushes.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
One thing I hate about Windows 10 and I will soon ditch it the automatic installation of buggy drivers Microsoft pushes.

A couple posts upthread I complained about my GTX460 not working with any game (crash to desktop within 60 seconds of playing). Driver issues of course. Turns out you need to go pretty far back version wise. Anyway, of course, once you figure that out W10 will try and stomp over the old drivers you installed with the new (broke) hotness. To stop that you need the wushowhide utility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

And even that is only kind of working as I got a notification center alert today about upgrading to the new NVidia drivers. At least it didn't automatically install it for me like the first time. I've been on PCs for a long time and update aggressively, but graphics drivers and BIOS firmware updates are the two things that I never touch unless I have a problem.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
1. Surface Pro 2 Battery life has TANKED. It's now sub 3 hours and nowhere close to the all day computing experience I had with Windows 8.1. Had a fully charged device last night, put it to sleep overnight and this morning it was down to 11%.
2. Touchscreen is less responsive, especially with Edge.
3. Edge pages take forever to load. IE is faster.
4. Outlook emails don't send - they just sit there in the Outbox.
5. Surface Pro 2 runs really hot all day.
6. Bluetooth - turn it off and it turns back on - BY ITSELF.
7. Bug in Edge - sending replies in Facebook corrupts text.
8. Notifications in system tray lights up but if you tap it, there are no notifications.
9. OneDrive app permanently deleted the wrong sheets. Permanently.
10. The upgrade process was a train-wreck so had to clean install, meaning re-synching 100Gb of OneDrive and eating my data allowance.

Now I have drunk the Kool-Aid for many years and still promote the products but this to me is worse than Vista and I'm seriously contemplating a roll-back to 8.1 which, after so long in anticipation of 10 makes me sad.

You ain't the only one. Had to reinstall windows 10 on my lenovo miix3 after three weeks because of massive failures. Also Edge is slow compared to IE and Chrome, touch is not optimized through the OS, battery life sucks big time, notification icons lights up on it's own with no notifications to display. So yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting A YOUTUBE channel on all things wrong with Windows 10.I currently have almost 40 videos i wanna post! I'll invite people soon.

I am so infuriated with Microsoft for this scandalous piece of software. I won't back down. I've rolled back to 8.1 and i could not be happier!!!!

link for the channel? thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
once again i never said that apple and Microsoft were the same. APPLE CALL THERE VERSION OF WINDOWS DIFFERENT AND BILL GATES STOLE THE IDEA AND A COPY OF THE SOFTWARE FROM APPLE . i have never mentioned what operating system supports what hardware nor am i interested,

Gates didn't steal anything from Apple. Windows 1.0 was released in 85, only a year after MacOS, not nearly enough time to copy. And both of those were predated by Xerox and SGI.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
On PC Windows 10 is awesome.

On tablet is just terrible. The worst...

1- Edge is made for PC, not for tablet. The buttons are really small and address bar on top is one of the most annoying things in the world. Really? I don't have three hands, Microsoft. The thing is: IE11 for W8 have huge icons, just like we need on tablets and address bar on bottom, which is the right place.

2- Why task bar on the bottom? Just why?????? On Windows 8 the main functions, including Start button was on the right, which is obviously the best place for it.

3- Theres no slide bar for Brightness. Really MS? Again Windows 8 have and, guess what, we had even a button to orientation lock. Nicely done again MS... Really nice.

4- Wheres the list of apps on Windows 10? Well, if you look better you will find it on the worst place possible. On the left, hide in a button that have 0,1cm x 0,1cm. And again, guess what? Now you have a ridiculous tiny space to look at the apps. On Windows 8... Well, we have a ******* hole page to easily choose whenever the app we wanted.

5- Now if you close a damn app or program, Windows go to the Start Screen, not the last app opened. Is it the most stupid and anti productivity thing in the world or not? Yes, one of them.

6- If I choose for tablet view looks like I don't have any chance to open Windows Explorer or something like that.

7- Changing for "tablet" from pc mode is really painful. Just don't work.

8- Want to close a app on multi task? Well, look for a really tiny button on the right top corner. Why in the hell MS would put slide to close, just like W8? No reason, right MS?

I think that's it for now.

Windows 8 for tablet was almost perfect. You could control anything with two hands easily because we have ANYTHING we needed on the left or right side of screen. IE11 was not the best browser, but at least the most friendly to use it like a tablet.

Now Windows 10 looks just like any Android tablet or Ipad, a useless piece of ****...

Thanks Microsoft, thanks for Windows 8, the most incredible mobile experience. Thanks again for ruined it with Windows 10.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Edge ... buttons are really small and address bar on top is one of the most annoying things in the world.

That's a personal preference. I find the buttons to be of entirely adequate size and I find no difference between the address bar on the top or the bottom.

(the) Start button was on the right, which is obviously the best place for it.

Again, personal preference. I like it better in the lower-left corner; that's where I'm used to it, and where I hold the tablet so it's a quick thumb-tap away.

Theres no slide bar for Brightness.

You're correct, but there is a 4 stop button when you open the Action Center by swiping in from the right. I guess if any of the 4 stops are absolutely unacceptable to you, you've got a point.

Wheres the list of apps on Windows 10?

Swipe in from the left. Ta da!

if you close a damn app or program, Windows go to the Start Screen, not the last app opened.

Another personal preference. I'd rather choose which app I run next than have Windows arbitrarily choose it for me.

If I choose for tablet view looks like I don't have any chance to open Windows Explorer or something like that.

You're absolutely wrong here. Open up the All Apps menu and choose "File Explorer" from under the "Windows System" group. You can even pin it to your Start Screen.

Changing for "tablet" from pc mode is really painful. Just don't work.

Again, you're wrong. Swipe in from the left, tap the "Tablet mode" button. Works perfectly, and is easy to boot.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That's a personal preference. I find the buttons to be of entirely adequate size and I find no difference between the address bar on the top or the bottom.

Has nothing to do with personal preference, since research shows that for touch usage you need to have the hit areas (buttons) at a certain size, which in general is much larger than for mouse usage.
These are desktop design paradigms beeing shoved into tablet space.

Again, personal preference. I like it better in the lower-left corner; that's where I'm used to it, and where I hold the tablet so it's a quick thumb-tap away

Again no personal preference, as people tend to hold the tablet left and right, where the thumb covers a wide area from the vertical middle of the screen. A button at the bottom is therefore uncomfortable to reach.
Corners are good for mouse...not so good for touch. Desktop design paradigms applied for touch usage...terrible.

And then there comes the loss of the complete charm-bar functionality on top of this. There was a common place for each app to have settings, printing, screen projection, sharing and DLNA play-to contracts. Now each app has to provide such functionality on it's own and and is free to place such functionality wherever it wants...not at common place easily reachable with your right thumb.
It is even worse, functionality has in parts completely scrapped. Mind to show me how i can play-to a YouTube video or any other app media to the TV without charm-bar?

Again, you're wrong. Swipe in from the left, tap the "Tablet mode" button. Works perfectly, and is easy to boot

It might work, but you still does not get rid of the desktop design elements. You still are forced to work with this abomination of desktop and tablet design elements and design paradigms mixed all over the place.
Now if you consider, that Windows 8.1 had nailed the touch experience...making it arguably the best usable tablet OS among all major contenders contributed to the innovative charms concept and task control - they are bloody last now in usability.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 is the new Vista.Even in the current public release, things go wrong, design patterns are many of them horrible and badly positioned, the start menu tiles most of the times are static, start menu all apps section is a total mess, tablet functionality is again a bad joke, totally not optimized for touch. Text is so small on 1080p on desktop apps on a tablet 10.1" screen that you get a lot of headaches.
One day the calendar tile was showing the date from two days ago :))) wtf?? people tile is never live although most of my contacts have photos, onedrive no longer has container folders, you either sync the ones you want or go on the website-totally rubbish in this way, lockscreen and login screen??? why both screens??just why?? when you could have a login screen with all the info needed. Update mechanism gets broken on it's own, not being then able to update apps from the store. Shall I continue?? With all the fuss about windows 8/8.1, I've never had any issues with it, and it ran just fine on my old surface 2 RT.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Has nothing to do with personal preference, since research shows that for touch usage you need to have the hit areas (buttons) at a certain size, which in general is much larger than for mouse usage.
These are desktop design paradigms beeing shoved into tablet space.

Again no personal preference, as people tend to hold the tablet left and right, where the thumb covers a wide area from the vertical middle of the screen. A button at the bottom is therefore uncomfortable to reach.
Corners are good for mouse...not so good for touch. Desktop design paradigms applied for touch usage...terrible.

And then there comes the loss of the complete charm-bar functionality on top of this. There was a common place for each app to have settings, printing, screen projection, sharing and DLNA play-to contracts. Now each app has to provide such functionality on it's own and and is free to place such functionality wherever it wants...not at common place easily reachable with your right thumb.
It is even worse, functionality has in parts completely scrapped. Mind to show me how i can play-to a YouTube video or any other app media to the TV without charm-bar?

It might work, but you still does not get rid of the desktop design elements. You still are forced to work with this abomination of desktop and tablet design elements and design paradigms mixed all over the place.
Now if you consider, that Windows 8.1 had nailed the touch experience...making it arguably the best usable tablet OS among all major contenders contributed to the innovative charms concept and task control - they are bloody last now in usability.

Research? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon