W10 Pro major sound glitch

Alexandru Burada

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello! So I upgraded to Windows 10 right after I received my copy (I used to run 8.1) and for about 3-4 days or so everything ran absolutely perfect until I noticed that my sound would get distorted after a few hours of usage. (sometimes minutes)
The glitching usually occurs once in 4-5 seconds while playing audio and consists of prolonged, repeated tones, high-pitched sounds out of nowhere, sometimes 1-2 seconds of silence followed by the distortion aforementioned. Sometimes the distortion just suddenly stops but always comes back after maybe an hour of so. Also, the glitching comes with lag spikes (FPS drops when gaming or watching a video and cursor delays) and rarely, the PC freezes while a single tone is repeated over and over, the only solution being a reboot.
I have to mention that I'm using a HP 630 laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard. My drivers are up to date and I ran a "sfc /scannow" without any results. I also checked with various pair of headphones and the laptop's speaker, it's still there.

I'd greatly appreciate some help on this issue, it's starting to make the system unusable.
Thanks in advance!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello! So I upgraded to Windows 10 right after I received my copy (I used to run 8.1) and for about 3-4 days or so everything ran absolutely perfect until I noticed that my sound would get distorted after a few hours of usage. (sometimes minutes)
The glitching usually occurs once in 4-5 seconds while playing audio and consists of prolonged, repeated tones, high-pitched sounds out of nowhere, sometimes 1-2 seconds of silence followed by the distortion aforementioned. Sometimes the distortion just suddenly stops but always comes back after maybe an hour of so. Also, the glitching comes with lag spikes (FPS drops when gaming or watching a video and cursor delays) and rarely, the PC freezes while a single tone is repeated over and over, the only solution being a reboot.
I have to mention that I'm using a HP 630 laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard. My drivers are up to date and I ran a "sfc /scannow" without any results. I also checked with various pair of headphones and the laptop's speaker, it's still there.

I'd greatly appreciate some help on this issue, it's starting to make the system unusable.
Thanks in advance!

Are you using the driver that Microsoft provided or the Windows 10 one from the Realtek Website?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The driver from Realtek's website, I don't know of any such driver provided by Microsoft, any details?

The Microsoft driver is the one that is loaded when the OS is installed which you replaced with the Realtek driver. Have you got the drivers from HP for the chipset and other devices, as weird as it sounds, no pun intended, that can cause an issue like this as well?

The only reason I ask is because I have Realtek HD Audio in my PC as well but I don't have the issue you're having.

Alexandru Burada

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
The Microsoft driver is the one that is loaded when the OS is installed which you replaced with the Realtek driver. Have you got the drivers from HP for the chipset and other devices, as weird as it sounds, no pun intended, that can cause an issue like this as well?

The only reason I ask is because I have Realtek HD Audio in my PC as well but I don't have the issue you're having.

Oh, I installed the Realtek drivers yesterday, about 4 days after noticing the problem, so I don't think those are the cause.
And yes, I'm pretty sure that my drivers are all up to date, I like to keep everything like that.

PS: Intented or not, that was one excellent pun, haha

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I installed the Realtek drivers yesterday, about 4 days after noticing the problem, so I don't think those are the cause.
And yes, I'm pretty sure that my drivers are all up to date, I like to keep everything like that.

PS: Intented or not, that was one excellent pun, haha

I would imagine that it's likely to be an issue with the drivers then if all the drivers are up to date. I wonder if this might be the problem:

Windows 10 Audio Glitching - HP Support Forum - 5191048

The solution seems to be update the drivers for the network adapters or disable them outright.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon