Upgrade licence key without active system

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 old laptops with valid windows 7 licence keys which I would like to update to windows 10 keys for future use. Problem is both laptops are broken (wont power up), so I cant actually run the upgrade on those machines... Is there any way I can upgrade them without using that machine? Thanks

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
As far as we know: No.
You are not getting a new key, you are just registering your machines as eligible for Windows 10 and they get the status "activated" and use a generic key henceforth.

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
So, even if I managed to get that machine running I'd not be able to use the key elsewhere, but if I got my new machine and installed with the valid licence key and then upgraded id be fine... That's a little frustrating, but makes some sense I suppose

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, if you plan to use an old key to get Windows 10 then you should install your old version of Windows on a new device and upgrade there.

Otherwise your old device and only your old device gets registered for Windows 10 and you would have to use your old device.

Anyway, if you buy a new device with Windows 10, you will not have to upgrade first.

But if you plan to reuse your Windows license, then you need to buy Windows 10 from Microsoft (no OEM license, if I am not mistaken) in order to install Windows on this or that device (OEM licenses let you just register one device for Windows 10, they are normally not transferable).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923